Who can help me out ?

Username: Pether

Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands

Post Number: 1
I own the Epos ES 11 speakers for about 15 years. Although i like it's sound i never liked it's lack of bass. I am NOT looking for -3dB at 20 Hz., but -3dB at 40 Hz would be fine.
Also i would like to have a bit less present mid freq.

I'd like to buy another, 2nd hand, speaker. First because they are cheaper, Second, because they have proven to be good for some time.

I consider trying the B + W 805 matrix, Epos ES 14, or Kef 104-2. Any advice ?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3745
what amp/receiver are you using for the ES 11s?

Post Number: 2
I am using a valve-amp: Audio Innovations Classic 25 (= Audio Innovations 700), but i consider also going back to a transistor-amp or a mosfet-amp, also 2nd-hand of course.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 430
Budget?

Post Number: 3
Well, 500 to 600 euro's for speakers, and if needed, the same for an amp. 2nd-hand, as said before.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1283
Peter,

I remember the AI amp quite fondly. It didn't last long before Peter Qvortrop went on to establish Audio Note UK as I recall. The ES11s are really quite inappropriate for your amp since they have a relatively difficult impedance curve. It's probably why you don't really like the bass.

You probably need to invest in speakers which are really quite easy to drive, something of the order of 90db/w/m or more and definitely 8 ohms impedance. Have a look around for older second hand Audio Note speakers (K, J or E). They would be the perfect match, but they might be just a touch more than you wish to pay. You never know though - you might be lucky.

regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 4
To my knowledge the Epos has an easy impedance-curve (I have the test from Hifi News / Rcord Review, 1991). that test also syas that the bass is shy, also on transistoramps.
I heard stories before, about the qualities of Audio Note speakers. I must say i never listened to one. So if I keep the amp this could be another try.
Are the Audio Notes sweet in their mid freq.?

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 909
I would also reccomend throwing in Klipsch RB-5. They are a great bookshelf that sounds great with good equipment, and sounds awesome with awesome equipment. Sadly, they were discontinued and their successor does not live up to the sound of the great RB-5. to each his own, but I believe this model to be one of the best speakers that klipsch has ever produced for home use. It is very smooth, and has great bass when driven with equipment it likes.

you can find them used on ebay and audiogon, but I would buy from audiogon before ebay personally.

maybe you can even come across a used pair by you. This speaker is definatly worth a shot. You may not like the klipsch sound, but you may just may.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us