Can you help an "Old Dog"?

Gold Member
Username: Rick_b

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1329
Well the time has come again. My 8 year old California Audio Labs player is on it's last leg. It's time to buy a new CD player....AGAIN. This will make the third one I have had to buy in the last 15 years. I wish I had never given up my AR turntable and records, but that ship sailed long ago.

So the question is....What should I be auditioning in CD players in the $1000 to $1500 price range? I am interested only in a dedicated player, no combo units. I have no interest in SACD, stereo only.

Any thoughts?

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 416
The Shanling T100C or the T80 Rick.

http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/c/20-Shanling-CDT100C/CD-T100C

Cheers mate!

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 417
Rick,

My brother has ordered a Shanling T80 which he really liked, but has since listened to the Arcam CD73 and CD192. He was very taken with both (more so than the T80), though smitten by the 192. Looks like he may be cancelling the T80. FWIW.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4029
Rick,

I have been looking at CD players recently.

I completely agree with My Rantz; I would consider all the models he mentions.

The Shanlings have tube output stages. As do Consonance Reference CD-2.2 (Italian...) and "Ah! Noe Tjoebe" models (built on Marantz chassis and transport; design modification by the Dutch "PrimaLuna" people, I think).

On this forum people are also discussing Rega Apollo and Naim CD5i.

I have a new Rega Apollo and it is a delight. I did not make time for extensive comparisons and market research. All I can say is it exceeds expectations. Some comments are on Anyone hear the new rega apollo yet ???

Consider SACD. There are dedicated two-channel SACD/Cd players from Marantz and Denon, amongst others. I recall you already have a CA DVD player including DVD-A.

As a founder "Old Dog", you already know the mantra: find a good dealer and arrange for a demonstration. Orlando should have some good dealers; others will be able to help you, there.

BTW I do not see why a CD player should wear out. Have you considered getting someone restore the CAL's missing legs?

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 418
I knew John would recommend the Apollo Rick, which is why I didn't mention it. I have heard nothing but high praise for this new model. Also, the Regas and Shanlings are built like battle ships, the Arcams I mentioned (the Diva series) are in plastic casings, wether there is a reaon for that I do not know.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2874
Rega Apollo
Audio Refinement CD Complete Alpha
Arcam CD192 (a little over your budget)
Naim CD5i
Ah! Super Tjoeb 4000

These are all very good and very different players. Exhaustive research on the Shanling players seems to show quirky players with less than stellar service records.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7966

After replacing too many CD players over the last twenty years, I'm beginning to think it best to spend just enough to get a player you won't want to destroy after fifteen minutes of listening. Take the remainder of your would-have-been investment and buy enough liquid conviction to allow yourself the imagination of all the parts of the performance that are missing.

Rinse.

Repeat.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 740
"liquid conviction" :-)

Rick,

For less than your budget, there's the Jolida JD-100. If you're intent on spending more, stock tubes can be replaced and the player can be modded.

It's too bad CAL went out of business. I liked the warm, analog-like sound of their cd players. Arcams also offer that kind of sound.

I'd interested in what you discover, as my CAL player is long overdue for replacement.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4030
Actually, Rick, I guessed MR's reason for not recommending the Apollo, and just thought you should not put be put off....

:-)

What exactly is the problem with the CAL?

I have had a thought: when visiting a dealer, do not him about your current gear. If you do, and he is clever, he'll instantly have your personality profile, and know your vulnerabilities.

Not that you have any, Rick, I know that....

Neither do I, of course.

[Another smiley]

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7969

"I have had a thought: when visiting a dealer, do not him about your current gear. If you do, and he is clever, he'll instantly have your personality profile, and know your vulnerabilities."

Spoken like a Quad owner.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4032
Exactly, Jan.

Anyway, one does not like to boast....

I just sort of imagined Rick marching into the Orlando equivalent of the place I visited, in London, a few weeks ago, and being told that a Jolida amp with Spendor speakers means he would be wasting his money on less that a multimegabuck CD player.

Hey, Rick, try it!

All the best.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1736
I just cannot get around 'current vulnerabilities' in the context of the kits that are under discussion here.
Except, of course, that they be broken.

Liquid conviction=AFTF

Alcohol Fueled Testicular Fortitude.

Skol!

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1737
In fact, I have shopped a bit for cdp above the average.
The Jolida was going to be my choice, until the inevitable dependability issues seemed to raise their out of country warranty heads.
The tube/swappable aspect was quite intriguing, and there seemed to be, then, lots of chatter about the available tubes and their effects.Sounds like an adventure, figgurs nuck.
After a lot of mistyping and misogyny, my imagery has been deluded, diluted and deflated.
I decided then to follow the path which Jan has alluded to.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 422
As per the title of your thread Rick: "Can you help an "Old Dog"?", you understand what is the kindest way to do this of course.

So, do we have any volunteers?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7970

You're looking for a female "young dog" to kind of ...uh, cheer him up?

Gold Member

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1330
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have to side with Jan, in the fact that I am not pleased with having to replace another player.

For the record, my Jolida amp dropped dead within a week of the warranty being up. I am not thrilled with Jolida at the moment. I have been using my Sophia Electric "Baby" more than the Jolida, anyway.

Yes, I really liked the warm sound of the CAL. It is a shame they are out of business. That may not be completely true....didn't they just morph into Sonic Frontiers? Anyway, I'm going to listen to the Arcam. I have always had a soft spot and ear for British gear. I am also going to audition the Cambridge Audio 640C. It has great reviews, and for the price, the Arcam better sound twice as good. I'll let you know how it plays out.

In answer to your question John, the laser is on the way out.

I think I'll have that drink now Jan. I'm really tired of this..............

Thanks again my friends!

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 423
Good Luck Rick.

Jan, What were you thinking? Don't you remember "Old Yeller"?

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1746
Good hunting, Rick.
Bring a dog.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1747
MR, now I'm gonna cry...
Darrnit!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4033
MR; you are not suggesting it would be kindest to have him put down...?

Not our Rick!

Naim and Rega are genuinely UK-made too, Rick. I have a loyalty to Rega for longevity (27 years) and reliability (zero defect technology), as much as sound, and that was part of my decision. But that is my experience of their Planar 3 turntable, still in production. Turntables are innately superior to Cd players, it seems to me.

I wonder how many Cd players bought today will work faultlessly until at least 2033.

Sorry to hear about the Jolida amp.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4034
Rick,

Take a look at the thread Future of SACD vs. other hi-res formats.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7973

"Jan, What were you thinking? Don't you remember 'Old Yeller'?"

Rick got in a fight with a wild boar or a wolf? Geez, Rick this move to Florida must not have worked out well.

http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/32/oldyeller1.html

Travis contrives a test to prove Yeller's unworthiness. That night, he deliberately hangs a side of "middlin' meat" low enough for the dog to steal, and leaves him alone with it outside. He tells the dog, "You touch a bite of this meat and, come morning, I'm gonna shoot you right between the eyes." (Travis will, of course, have to shoot Yeller before the film is over. It is the law of bad karma in Disney films that what one wishes for, one eventually gets.)

Words to remember.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 425
John,

No, never, but after the cd going on the fritz and then his Jolida amp, he may wish to be put out of his misery :-)

My brother has cancelled his Shanling order and is ordering the Arcam (CD192 if he has the courage). I think it's the right move.

Jan, I have been wishing for a lotto win for years. I hope you're right!

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1769
Careful what ya ask for, ya might just get it.

I ask for an expensive and enjoyable cdp that will last one week past it's warranty.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7977

I had one of those. An Onkyo Integra back around 1990. However, Onkyo stopped providing parts for the darned thing about a week before the warranty ran out.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1772
I am really geting stumped on this one.
I want, and will pay for, a good quality cdp or uni that will satisfy my sonic needs(not a bunch) with my pride of ownership(middle) and a long term happy experience.

I need a player that will deliver the experience I had with the Marantz gold series receiver I had in 1977.

Waa, Waa, Yadda Yada.

Give me quality and I will pay a (normal, mid-high) consumer price.
AND, I love a good warranty.

I know...'you want fries with that'?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7980

1977 Marantz and "fries". Rememinds of the of the old ad for a Superscope/Marantz 2270B that was pulled from the burning rubble of the house. The ad didn't mention what actually started the fire.

Gold Member

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1331
Rantz,

I'm only 57 years young, and you want to put me down?

You must be talking to my wife again! LOL!!!!

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 427
Well Rick, you have three years over me and I'm just about ready :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Diana_vargas

Post Number: 15
My boyfriend has the Shanling T100 and yes that is one very nice CD player!

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1776
So he has a nice cdp and a nice g/f.
Dude should show up here and rub our noses in it.

Hello again, Diana.
You have been a stranger.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1777
Rick, I suppose now I am the 'kid'.
40 and all.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1778
'Just don't be callin' me 'kid' or 'tiger' or nothin like that'.
Will Smith..'men in black'.

Gold Member

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1332
Rantz,

Not me mate, I'm going down snarling and biting!

Nuck,

40 and all.

I have socks older than that. How do you feel about "Grasshopper"? LOL!

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1788
Rick, I take what I can get from the 'Dogs'
I am really stuck on the cdp. I know the 'planned obsolescence' is one factor, but the planned 'goes to shite in 3 yrs' factor weighs heavily.
Could the answer be a Linn Uni?
Rats.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1789
'When you can snatch the NEC8345FET from my hand, it will be time for you to leave'.

OK, I can live with the handle.

But I don't know where that FET has been...

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4036
What is the process by which girlfriends who like one's Shanling T100 turn into wives who don't?

Longevity in CD players. I have a Marantz from 1988 which still goes. Its design flaw was the retaining spring holding the flap down that secured the disc in the tray. The spring was pulling the disc to one side, causing mistracking. I took out the spring and packed blu-tak into the flap, so the force holding the disc is gravity. Works fine. Anyone got an older CD player?

Any one remember the original Sony and Philips 100 models? Top loaders; dire sound; cost an arm and a leg. I wonder if anyone still uses one.

Anyone noticed that CD quality control is slipping? I had to return a v_irgin V_irgin/EMI boxed set of Tchaikovsky Symphonies and extras last week. Disc 1 mistracked at the end, on the Rega. I tried it on the NAD and it would hardly track at all. Marks to the Rega for tracking the untrackable. HMV Shop swapped the whole box. The replacement is fine. Really nice performances and sound, by the way. Andrew Litton/Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2876
Went to Portland today. The Audio Refinement CD Complete Alpha is history. YBA's new budget line to hit stores soon with a $1500 CD player that should be dynamite. The Apollo continues to sell though the dealer confessed to thinking that AR sounded better and is better built. Who knows, they both sound good to me. Listened to the new Focal Electra Series flagships with the new Simaudio 3k cd player and the new Bel Canto Pre and mono blocks. The sound was absolutely splendid. Effortless is the best word that I can use to desribe it. I had a brief listen but was definitely impressed.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 430
Hey Tiger, don't get stuck up on cdp's. When you grow up to be a big boy you can get a big boy cdp then. The world awaits :-)

Art, you're gonna have to stop that listening to high end gear. You know what happens!

John, if there was longetivity in cd players we wouldn't have to remember :-)

Besides, remembering ain't so easy these days :-(

Now, back to my point . . .

Damn!

Gold Member

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1333
What is the process by which girlfriends who like one's Shanling T100 turn into wives who don't?

That would be called marriage John. It all starts with a wedding. LOL!

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 431
Rick

Nah, the marriage starts well before the wedding my friend, only we don't know it!

:-)

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1804
Akai, bought new in like 84 or so.
Got 3 free cd's with it, there were about a hundred out then, I think.
I got Yes 90125, just released.
The next month I got VH1984.

This was when cd's were so new, a place down the street rented them out.
I copied to 'tape'.

My brother still has the whole Akai reference system with Ian Paisley speakers.
And the cdp still in service.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2877
Oh lord Nuck I remember renting CD's and copying to tape. How funny! They were some of the only tapes I owned.

MR, I can't help myself everytime I go to Portland I have to hear what's playing in at least one high end shop. It's a disease.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1808
Art, it is not a disease, it's an affliction.
There are 12 step programs to alleviate you of the affliction.

Step 1: acknowlege that you have a problem.
Step 2: win lottery and buy IT ALL!
Step 3:go back to step 2.

David Lee Roth said it best, when commenting on the 1 million for Van Halen to play the US festival.

'Yeah I used to have a drug problem. But now I have lots of money, so it's no problem'

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7983

"When you can snatch the NEC8345FET from my hand, it will be time for you to leave."

"But I don't know where that FET has been... "

Like you know where that hand has been!

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1812
Smells like fish, tastes like chicken!

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1813
BOOYAH!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7989

I got nothin'! Sheeeeesh!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4043
An '84 Akai. Cool. I had two free CDs with my '88 Marantz. One was Brothers in Arms, which I foolishly gave away.

I have the same problem, Art. London is full of temptation. Fortunately it also has record stores, which are almost as good, and where the danger of spending serious money is somewhat less.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1827
The cdp was 1300(can) in 198?, I think I misled you guys.
It was 1986, because the Van Halen was 5150.
All apologies.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4049
My Marantz was £300 in 1988.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2882
John A, Portland is similar in the sense that it also has great record and music stores that mitigate the temptation to put the money where it needn't be. I went to Portland again yesterday and ignored the audio stores and stuck to furniture shopping.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1846
Yeah, Art, looking at a chesterfield is way more fun than picking out music.

I doubt your taste in furniture is much different than your taste in equipment.

Top drawer.

You knew the furniture was coming after the home re-do, ja?

Gold Member

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1334
Art,

Looking for a nice cozy listening chair? LOL!

You sly "Old Dog"!

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1208
Art: with all due respect, sir - please tell me what differences you are able to hear between two or more of those expensive CD players? I ask this because, as I've posted before, I cannot for the life of me hear ANY difference between any two CD players at or above the Denon 2910 level - or maybe even a tad lower than that.

I really wish I could join you, John and others in discussing these differences - but perhaps my old ears are just too insensitive. BTW - when Mer has on occasion joined me in treks to emporiums of lost cause and fidelity - she claims not to hear any differences between players, either. Sigh.

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1863
Larry, next time you try a cdp, maybe bring the Psb's to the front and run the amp straight through.
It might sound goofy, given your mains now, but that might open the sound up a bit.
Those Alphas can really perform, given the chance.
I have the alpha 1's and they are amazing.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2885
Rick, I did buy a chair and a lovely new Danish natural cherry coffee table. The chair is for guests and the coffee table for convenience (and looks).

Larry, I don't know where to start with the differences that I hear between the higher end cd players. The sound of each player is so different. Just a couple examples:

1) Arcam CD192 - Smooth presentation very well balanced. Takes very few risks and in doing so isn't a player that I am particularly fond of. Leans toward the clinical side as opposed to the more purely musical. Lots of detail and great imaging though to me it is a bit thin.

2) Rega Apollo - Much thicker presentation, less detailed but richer harmonically. Big soundstage but lacking the imaging that the Arcam has. In fact I think the Arcam images better than any in this price range...but for me it's too little too late. I found the Rega a bit rough around the edges but I have heard from others that I respect that they really like it and that's good enough for me. I liked the sound of it and it is for my money the second best all 'rounder in the price range.

3) Naim CD5i - What can I say that has not been said a million times. The PRat that this player is famous for is for real. It's just a matter of taste as to whether that works for you. I loved it. Though I'm not sure I could live with it long term. It's not an all "rounder as it is better with music that demands hot PRat than it is for say chamber music but it is a very fun and well built player.

4) Audio Refinement CD complete Alpha - Once again a very thick, lush presentation. More forward than the Arcam and perhaps the most dynamic of the group. This player plays music with very rich harmonic texturing and the timbre is often spooky through this player. This player is the second least detailed to the Naim. It sacrifices transparency and detail for textural richness and musical correctness relative to dynamic scale. Bass lines can be just a tad too thick especially when compared to the taut and very detailed bass lines reproduced by the Arcam. The AR and Rega share more than any of the 2 players with the Rega leaning more toward the detail of the Arcam and the AR leaning more toward the PRat of the Naim.

I know these are very general but they are about as good as I can do beween loads of laundry.

BTW - Thanks for the great conversation today Nuck.

I was in Eugene today and had the pleasure of sitting down in front of a pair of Magnepan MG 20.1's. Oh my aren't they fun.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1872
The other sock is behind the dryer, man.
It was a blast, Art, thank you.
What was the power for the Maggies today?

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1873
So Art, after reading your opinions there, I ask a Q.

If I were to choose a player for, oh lets say, Stevie Ray, with a Rotel amped system and fairly accurate speakers, which player would you choose?

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1874
Or of course, anybody else?
That big guitar driven, bluesy push, with the SRV edge?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2886
Nuck, I would pick a Rotel CD player to go with the Rotel amplification. Rotel pieces go well together.The 1072 is a fine CD player. I owned a Rotel for quite sometime and missed it when I replaced it with the NAD C542.

The Maggies were driven by the Musical Fidelity A5 power and pre amps. They used both the A5 CD player and a Marantz SA 1551 cd player. Both were good but the MF was clearly better. Also listened to the B&W 803D....niiiiice!

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1209
Art:Thank you, sir, for your precise and informative answer. But I really don't understand a thing you write. It all boils down to "I hear about the same thing from every player" for me. I know that I should be hearing all that you describe - but I simply do not.

So - I give up. When the Yammie dies, I will probably get what to you is an "el-cheapo" unit, such as the HK that my friend raves about. At under $400 USD, it's in my budget range - the ones you mention simply are not.

thank you for taking time to TRY to inform me - and I fervently wish I could hear even a part of what you hear, sir!

Maybe I should just sell my B&Ws and get another boom box, like the one Mer enjoys in her den???
(GRIN) Or not. . . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Username: Jack_dotson

Post Number: 6
I recently bought the Naim CD5i and couldn't be happier with my decision. The little guy is built like a tank; Naim is famous for their reliability.

My short list included the Arcam CD-192T and Rega Apollo. I never got to hear either before buying the Naim so I can't comment on how they compare, but CD5i has me listening to the music again instead of the equipment. What better praise could I give?

Strongest possible recommendation. BTW, it sound better than my Sony ES SACDP.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1994
Thanks, Art, I will be looking for that cdp when the listening room is closer to completion.

Jack, now you have to polish the collecion!

Wipe on, wipe off.
Lather, rinse, repeat.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 500
Rick

What's happening man?

Have you got a new cdp yet?

Oh the suspense!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2956
Sounds great Jack. That Naim player is truly special...enjoy!

Gold Member

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1340
Hi All,

Some very interesting observations. I have been listening to most of what's available out there. The first thing i've discovered is the price of technology has certainly come down. I paid $2500 for my CAL eight years ago. It is a fine player. Now players half the price, or better sound as good. That is good news for an "Old Dog". I'm down to a short list, but leaning towards the Arcam. Very nice player. Just what I want. Warm and detailed. I will make a decision this weekend.

Then on to the classic "Speedster".

Yes, my wife gave me the go ahead. But that's another story.................................

Gold Member

Post Number: 2000
Rick, is that a 356Speedster, or the America 250 Speedster?
Yumm Yumm

I hear different reviews on the Arcam, some saying it is articulatr(Frank A) and some go so far as to call it 'clinical'

Revealing would be the word in either case, do you find it so? Have you tried it at home yet?

Gold Member

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1341
Nuck,

Yes a 356 Speedster(1955-1957).

I find the Arcam to have very good inner detail.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2001
Fine taste in all 3. Car, cdp and partner.
I am leaning towards a Rotel 1072 shortly, did you try that one out? Matching the 985 amp, in my case.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 504
Rick,

I may have told you already that my brother cancelled his Shanling T80 and purchased the Arcam CD-192. He first listened to the CD-73, was very impressed and was further impressed with the 192 as it sounded even more clean. But a word of warning, when he got it home, set it up and played it, he was disappointed in the sound - he said, although it did most things right, it was bit edgy and thin. However, to put in perspective, even the reviewers said the same thing and that when it had been run in for a day or two ( I'm not sure on the required time) every thing changed - it was a different machine. It was no longer thin, it had become warmer, articulate, detailed, bringing out precision in the bass and providing a deep, wide soundstage. He is now very happy with his Arcam.

My suggestion is to do what he did - listen to both models and ask if the demo machines have been run in. Anyway, happy hunting.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 505
Rick,

I may have told you already that my brother cancelled his Shanling T80 and purchased the Arcam CD-192. He first listened to the CD-73, was very impressed and was further impressed with the 192 as it sounded even more clean. But a word of warning, when he got it home, set it up and played it, he was disappointed in the sound - he said, although it did most things right, it was bit edgy and thin. However, to put in perspective, even the reviewers said the same thing and that when it had been run in for a day or two ( I'm not sure on the required time) every thing changed - it was a different machine. It was no longer thin, it had become warmer, articulate, detailed, bringing out precision in the bass and providing a deep, wide soundstage. He is now very happy with his Arcam.

My suggestion is to do what he did - listen to both models and ask if the demo machines have been run in.

Anyway, happy hunting mate!

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 506
Sorry, the first time I uploaded it gave a error message.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2003
I hate when that happens , MR.
Happens more and more.
Indeed, your brother must have been hearing the weathered machine as opposed to the new.
Rather curious how such a simple machine can change, given a little time.
This example being opposed to speakers, which make sense(in my own nuck mind), moving parts and such.

Here's to Rick, keep us up to date!

Post Number: 7
Nuck, Naim recommends at least 100 hours and say that some machines can take up to a month. When I first brought mine home it was good, but I had my doubts whether it was worth what I gave for it. After letting it run in a week it was a different machine. They actually put the power switch on back and recommend leaving it on all the time.

I didn't buy in to the burn-in theory for a long time, but I've learned first hand that it's real.

Rick, I don't think you've commented on the Naim. It's about the same price as the 192T and IMO warrants serious consideration.

If you want musical get Naim. CD's I've had and loved for years sound different then ever before, just unbelievable. This is my first piece of Naim equipment and it's made a believer out of me.

Strongest possible recommendation.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 508
Jack - I have not heard the Naim, but I've heard only very positive impressions of it.

Nuck - Yes, my brother listened to well run-in demos before getting his brand new CDP.

Rick - this review sort of confirms what I said about the CD-192:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue17/arcamcd192.htm

Cheers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2013
I am very seriously considering going into the city tomorrow and taking away the Rotel 1072.
Canadian price is likely $900.
Naim is $2600.
DOH!
The Rotel may find a home.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1092
C'mon Nucko. Where's your sense of adventure? Spend it!!! You know you've got it.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1097
$2600 Canadian is expensive? How can you take a currency system that has denominations referred to as the "Loonie" and the "Toonie" seriously?

What's $2600 Canadian equal to, about $20 US?

SPEND IT!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2021
Stuie, you stink.
I ain't falling for your sell(y'all got shares?).
It'sa gonna be the 1072, (with input from Art), to match the 985 amp.
Next is the pre, but that's a long ways off.
Canadian bucks are 86c this week, not so bad.

I remember when I was a kid(196?) when the Canadian buck was worth more.
Oh the days...

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1098
I went to graduate school at Niagara University. It was always a good time when we crossed the border to get beer and cigars. One of my favorite things was getting some fast food, paying with US money, and getting back more in change than we spent. I guess it's the little things that amuse me.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2028
Border towns are a blast, man.
Shut down at 1? Over the border.
Legal age is 19? Over the border.
Stripper have to wear pasties? Over the border.
I like the border towns.
Now it's cheap US beer.Go figgur.
I share your amusement, Stu, These were not little things at the time.'Going across' meant something then, if just for beer.
Try it today and we get the shakedown. A Shame.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2064
The Rotel 1072 is here, gotta find space for it.

The IC's are crud.Standard red/white rca's as you would find with a JVC.

Boo.

I will connect with spare IC's made previously.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1102
It wasn't that long ago Nuck. I left there 3 years ago. Crossing the border sucks, but it could have been worse. The sure-fire way to not get hasseled was to tell them were going/went to the casino. When the US asked how much money we were bringing back, We'd smile and say none. It was a little tough getting across until we came up with that routine.

Niagara Falls, ON is a great place. Niagara Falls, NY is awful.

The 1072 is a very good CDP, especially when used with Rotel amplification. Have fun with it!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2066
Stuie, I have it connectd now.
Wow!
The Wallflowers sound so much different, the vocals are so much more clear, and the drum tracks are not muddy anymore!
I see a whole night ahead of me(Mrs Nuck will just tell me to keep it down), and all the oldies will be on the platter.
I really cannot describe such a difference from the Pioneer uni, picture night and day!

I am a very, very happy Nuck!

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 517
So you got a crappy old Rotel CDP, Nuck?

Just kidding, really. Congrats and happy listening. Tell Mrs Nuck she should be more like Mrs Rantz - she likes it turned up!

Post Number: 8
You hear a difference between the Pioneer and the Rotel? I thought all CDP's sounded the same, just 1's and 0's, right? ;-)

Just kidding of course. Congrats on picking up a great machine, enjoy!

BTW, let us know after a couple of weeks if you notice a difference in the sound after it burns in for awhile. I bet you do, and I bet it gets even better.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2976
Alright Nuck congrats !!!!!!!!!

That's one heck of a great player you have.....party on!!! I'll crack a Fat Tire Ale in your honor...consider it done....man that's good!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2073
After a few hours I have gotten to know the machine better.
In one word, I would call it 'fast'.
The bass is better than ever, and my Psb's deliver like never before.I think the Silvers have wanted more money thrown at them all along, but who doesn't?

The player is everything I expected, and after tomorrow I will leave it powered on for the week, it may not be used until I return next weekend from LA.

Thanks for the kind words, and thanks to Art, for picking my needs out af a crowd and recommending the right piece.

Rock and Freaking Roll, Baby!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2979
I'm happy that you are enjoying it Nuck. Now when you go to LA take the time to stop at a supermarket and pick up some Pledge (multi surface anti-static spray). Don't use it for several weeks. You should wait until your player has broken in and you have gotten used to the sound (so you know why you are hearing a difference). Then give the Pledge a try. Trust me you will be happy you did.

BTW when's the new pre amp comin'....lol!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2081
As soon as my back loosens up from sleeping on the couch after spending a grand on the cdp, Art.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4096
Rick,

Naim CD5i gets enthusiastic support from Jack Dodson on Anyone hear the new rega apollo yet ???.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2086
The salesguy at London Audio has the CD5i, and extolls it as head and shoulders above the Rotel 1072 I picked up.
The price is a bit of a gulp(for me), but the guy said he could not find a better player.

Gold Member

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1342
Went with the Arcam CD192.Integrates well with my system.

This player needs at least 50 hours of run in time. I let the player run in for 3 days before any serious listening or evaluation. When I came back I was delighted to hear a completely different player.

Thanks to all for their suggestions and input.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3052
Congrats Rick that's and outstanding CD player. Great detail!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3053
A little Pledge and you're ready to go (wink)!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2205
Well done, Rick!

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 552
Congrats Rick!

My brother is now lovin' his 192 after running in. Sounds like a great player with 192/24 upsampling and its de-emphasizing circuit (or such). Enjoy old mate!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4129
Great, Rick. Good luck. Happy listening.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us