HK AVR 325 7.1 plus Adcom GFA-2535 using pre-outs???? Help!!!! (Kegger and Hawn--what do you think?)

Bronze Member
Username: Srkstan

Kazakhstan

Post Number: 41
I am trying to put together a HT set up. I have the speakers (except subwoofer), and I need the power. Some of my speakers (potentially two pairs) are 4 ohm rated. My choice is to get an expensive NAD (and hope it does not have bugs) or to set up a cheaper (but good receiver) with a separate multi-channel amp. I am looking at used Adcom amps, and I think I could get a decent 4 or 5 channel one for $200-$250. I could probably get a refurb HK AVR 325 7.1 for something like $200-$300. Thus, the whole setup would cost under $600, but how would it compare to just getting a $600 refurb T752? Also ---

1) if I hook an older multi-channel power amp into a new receiver through the pre-outs, will the channels that the amp is powering put out surround and DSP modes (pro logic II, for example) from the receiver?

2) If so, can I play some channels through the amp and some through the receiver?

3) If you are using a pre-out for a specific channels (let's say front channels) and run them through the amp, can you also use the front channels running through the receiver to power speakers for another room?

4) are there other issues dealing with this set up that I have not taken into account?

Please help! I am looking at some good deals that may disappear.

NTSC_PAL
Unregistered guest
Sean,

I am not answering your query but posing a question which perhaps you could answer. Sometime back I remember your mentioning that you are located outside the US and considering ordering a receiver from here (maybe I'm wrong about this). I was just curious to know if the place where you are located has a PAL video setup. If it does then do you think your receiver will work?

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 468
The amp just amplifies the signals given it from the preamp. If the signals are Dolby processed, that is what is amplified. The amp has no effect on the signal other than make it louder.

You most often cannot use unused receiver channels to power other speaker, particularly in inexpensive receivers. If you get a 5.1 receiver with pre-outs, those amp channels are connected to the preamps 5 channels. You can over-ride the receiver amp channels with the pre-outs to another amp, but the receiver amp channels cannot be used for anything else, as they are connected to the preamp. All they can be is disabled.

I think you are going down a bad path. Get rid of the B&W's and get an inexpensive receiver suitable for efficient 8 ohm speakers. This budget system of yours is likely going tgo be a mess in the path your heading. Acknowledge you made a mistake getting 4 ohm speakers and stop trying to make a patchwork to accommodate the mistake.

This is my last advice on the issue. When you don't have much budget, do things the easiest and best way. Mixed ohm speakers, patched in amps, etc is a recipe for both bad performance and more financial heartache.

Anonymous

I dont know about the HK AVR 325. But the new HK's will power a center and rears only if you hook up a 2 channel amp.
I think you are onto a great idea. Upgrade in stages and you are not stuck with a receiver. Adcom is great bang for the buck gear.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us