Connecting subwoofer problem

Username: Edwardsclan103

Nc

Post Number: 3
i just bought a klh R5100 receiver from ebay and i have a question. the subwoofer that i have should be connected using loose speaker wires, but the reciever has a mono plug to connect the woofer. is there any kind of connector/cable that i can get or should i just get another woofer?

all of my other speakers are connected by speaker wire on the far right side of the receiver, but the woofer connect in on the far left! any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1614
That would be the sub-out to a powered sub, or an external amplifier for the bass.

The amp does not power the sub.

Username: Jasonedwards

Post Number: 2
is there anyway that i can make the subwoofer that i have work with the receiver??

plus the subwoofer plug is near the 6.1 channel inputs. since i have the rest of the speakers plugged in with speaker wires, will the sub still output with 5.1 surround sound?

sorry to ask so many questions but i dont know that much about surround sound!

thanks for all help!!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1634
jason, the .1 means sub capable.
You will need a powered sub or a spare receiver/amp to power the sub.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 704
Jason:

I do not know the KLH receiver you are referring to, but I checked out your link and I see a standard "sub out" RCA jack. However, if your sub only has spring clips, then it is most likely a "passive" sub, meaning it has no internal amp, as Nuck has suggested. However, the sub should have two sets of spring clips, one set for "in" and another for "out". The way this works is that the speaker wire for the left and right channel should go directly to the sub's "in" terminals, and another set of speaker wires leave the sub's "out" terminals and go to the left and right front speakers. This gives you deep bass, but does not give you LFE (low frequency effects) that are the ".1" of a Dolby Digital 5.1.

The reason you cannot use the "mono plug" on your receiver (an RCA jack) is that the output is "line-level," that is a pre-amp level output that has no where near enough current to activate the sub. So as it stands, you really can't use your sub with this receiver.

Alternatively, as Nuck has suggested, the better way to go is to get an external mono amp to drive the subwoofer, connecting the KLH receiver to an external subwoofer amp using an RCA patch cable (aka "subwoofer cable") and amp to subwoofer with simple speaker wire. Here is a nicely priced subwoofer amp that is less than $90 that I found for you:

www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=300-792&DID=7

PartsExpress is a great resource and you can get excellent subwoofer cables from them as well.

Good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us