Advantages to switching video through receiver?

Username: Dalley

Post Number: 2
I just got a new Panasonic Plasma that has a variety of video inputs (composite, HDMI, S-video, etc). Is there any reason to put the video through the receiver (input/monitor out). Wouldnt that slightly degrade the signal? Does anyone with an A/V receiver just use it for audio? Thanks....

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6810
Convenience.

Post Number: 3
Well then let me ask you Berny, if you were in my situation, using about 3 total video inputs (which the TV can handle), would you send them through the receiver?

My video inputs:
Satellite box (S-video)
DVD (component)
Maybe a game system

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6814
No I won't. I prefer a direct connection.

Post Number: 5
cool....thanks for the advice

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 408
Edward: I'll take the flip side. While preference is always for a direct connection, sometimes your video system doesn't allow direct connections -- or not enough to handle all your inputs. Or maybe you want the convenience of one source for your television/monitor... i.e. just a "switch".

I run a PJ-550 projector in my home theater. It doesn't have "tons" of connections (just Component, S-Video, Composite, and 15-pin RGB). All of my video is switched through my H/K AVR-525 - as well as my audio.

In this case, while the "best" way to do this is direct connections, sometimes the easiest and most convenient way is... via a switching receiver. I haven't noticed any signal degradation in my system between direct versus indirect connections.

FYI my cable box is High Def and connected via component video. My primary DVD player is connected via component video. My Satellite box is connected via S-Video. My ReplayTV box is component video, but I connect it to my receiver via S-Video. My second DVD player is connected via S-Video. My LaserDisc is connected via S-Video. My S-VHS Pro-Line deck is connected via S-VHS.

You see... I just can't connect that many things to my projector NOR my Plasma TV in my bedroom (in my bedroom I have digital cable, digital satellite, ReplayTV, and DVD-Writer/VCR). With the cable runs, it would probably be more expensive, having to buy 3m -> 6m interconnects instead of the 1m interconnects I have now.

Maybe it's just that I don't have a choice

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 409
Edward: in your case, I agree with Bernie... since you have only a few input sources to connect... direct will be better.

I just wanted to give some reasons why you would not want to go that way.

Cheers!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us