Strange NAD 7155 tuner problem

Username: Mar9tin

Post Number: 1
I bought my NAD 7155 in '84 or 5 and it worked fine except for a tuner fuse to '98 when I had to put it in storage until this week. Now I find that the tuner doesn't work though the amp does. Well it's more complicated than that. When I turn the rec on with FM switched the tuner meters show some signal, stereo and not tuned to center, but there's no sound, and not only that the amp won't work with any other component. In a few min tho the sig strength disappears along with the stereo light and the amp will now work. The AM works not at all. Pushing the AM/FM switch shows a momentary signal in the meters but otherwise has no effect except an audible pop. I had a TV, two VCRs and a CD player also in storage and they are okay, but were not 10-15 years old at the time. I suppose it may be an electrolytic problem or perhaps a fuse again. Anyone have any ideas? I could also use a schematic. I do have the manual.

Thx, Martin

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7810

Yes, probably bad capacitors. Get it serviced or replaced.

Username: Mar9tin

Post Number: 2
Well Jan it wasn't, at least not directly, and replacing the tuner fuses (there are two, I found one open and one the wrong size) solved the problem. It may have been decayed electolytics that caused them to fail in the first place and that the caps eventually reformed, tho I didn't do anything special to try to reform them, like a rheostat. Took me a while to come up with replacements as they are an uncommon amperage (1/10A and 3/8A slo-blow), and had to order them from a co with website called Action-Electronics in Calif. Nice folks to deal with.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1715
Well done, Martin

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7965

"Tuner fuses"? Certainly these fuses weren't for the tuner specifically. You must mean rail fuses for the entire receiver. They are strange values. I hope you order extras in case the caps haven't reformed completely. Otherwise, good job.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us