Receiver recommendation...

Username: Delew

New York US

Post Number: 1
Anyone can recommend a dependable, easy to use receiver, with OSD via (thru) HDMI? Within a $1000 price range!
I am planning on using it just in a 2.1 role, in a medium sized bedroom. I know, anything maybe overkill for just 2.1... but OSD w/HDMI is a must for me.
Thanks in advance!!!

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 843
Is OSD over HDMI even possible?

Apart from having the volume display on screen why is this feature the make or break it one for you?

Username: Delew

New York US

Post Number: 2
Actually, I've read it in one of the postings here, that Yamaha RX-V2600 can do OSD over HDMI (am I correct?).
I am mainly looking for station tuning display... I can save $$$ on remote as well.
As to why it's important? I want to "hide" the receiver and DVD/VHS recorder and run HDMI to LCD display. I am doing just a simple one zone setup here, due to fact I will be selling this home within 3-4 years.

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 386
Derek et al: most medium-range A/V receivers won't display the OSD over any high definition output. Mostly because the "character generators" -- which generate the OSD -- aren't really good and actually add "artifacts" and maybe distortion to an otherwise pristine signal.

Some higher-end A/V units can do OSD over component and HDMI. i think you may see more medium-range receivers having this feature too as the processing prices come down (Faroudja, for instance is becoming commonplace now).

For me, I run a front projector in my home theater room and have a separate "monitor" for "queuing" things and for OSD functions.

Silver Member

Post Number: 387
Oh, and isn't the new H/K "high-end" AVR receiver (AVR-740) is suppose to have this. I've been waiting for the AVR-7300 replacement. Now I'm caught between paying retail ($3K) for the 740 or buying the 7300 at blow out pricsing ($1,200.00).

In any event, there are not many (lower-end or mid-range) AVRs that can do this! The processing piece is the issue. Unless it had Faroudja DCdi processing, I don't know that you'll get OSD in any AVR. Just my $0.02

Bronze Member
Username: Stevizard

Indianapolis, Indiana USA

Post Number: 25
Hi Geekboy,

Everyone is rushing to get HDMI but not the audiophiles. They want to keep the signal in analog without a lot of conversion to keep the signal pure. Another thought, most current model AVRs that have HDMI are using HDMI version 1.0, yet HDMI version 1.3, which isn't completely compatible with 1.0, will be on the market late this year, and version 2.0, which isn't completely compatible with 1.0 or 1.3, is in the works. No thanks, I'll stick to good old analog component cables for now and buy HDMI when it stops being a moving target.

Silver Member

Post Number: 390
Stey: I agree. I'm still running with Component Video on my 46" Plasma and Front Projector. I haven't even considered DVI either. Until the formats settle down, I don't want anything to do with HDMI (or HDCP or anything like it)!

I'm more looking for an AVR which has at least 3 component video inputs than anything else! The H/K AVR-7300 has 3 component video inputs, and that's fine with me! So, I'm probably leaning that way. The price is good too and it does > 100WPC of real power.

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 244
Geekboy... DVI doesn't seem to have the same compatibility issues as HDMI - there are only 2 versions (DVI-D and DVI-I) and most devices are pretty clear as to what the outputs are or what inputs they'll accept on DVI. I use a DVI from my DVD-2910 to my PJ with no issues at all. I would agree on waiting for HDMI to settle out, though.

Bronze Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 98
One issue if the 7300 is the cooling fan. That puppy hums the whole time after it is turned on, it jus never stops, and over lower volumes can verge on distracting. I actually went down a model because of this. Of course now I am considering running an amp from the pre-outs, but HK 75wpc is actually 75wpc, so who knows if I can get a reasonably priced amp that will do a better job.

Silver Member

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 391
Michael: actually, the 7300 doesn't frighten me with the fan noise. I have an AVR-525 and most of the time I'm hard pressed to know the fan is on. The only time I've ever noticed was when I stood within 2 feet of the unit! Of course, I've stragically place my components with the A/V equipment VERY far to the right in the corner and it's at least 7 feet away from the viewing/listening area.

I'm also leaning to running (perhaps) some separates for power like the Parasound junk. In any event, I need a better A/V receiver and since the 7300 is blow out AND I respect how the H/K line has handled my Paradigms, I'm going to stick with H/K for now. I'm totally not in the market for new speakers! The Paradigm Eclipse B/P's are doing me just fine!

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 848
"Another thought, most current model AVRs that have HDMI are using HDMI version 1.0, yet HDMI version 1.3, which isn't completely compatible with 1.0, will be on the market late this year, and version 2.0, which isn't completely compatible with 1.0 or 1.3, is in the works."

I can care less about receiver HDMI switching but am concerned that my new tv with HDMI 1.0 and HDCP won' t be compatible with HD-DVD and/or Blu-ray. Am I getting screwed?

Silver Member

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 392
Kano: welcome to the realities of the modern high-tech electronics error... I mean era! This nagging "do I buy it now" or "what format to buy" has been around since the DVD-RAM versus DVD+RW and DVD-RW battle. Sony and Toshiba always seem to be on the opposite ends of the format wars.

So who really cares?

The consumer! For the early adopters, like us, we have to deal with the technology changes and shifts and take them as they come. You can't procrastinate, because you'll just miss out. I use to wait months and months before buying a new computer... figuring that something better was always on the horizon!

I say jump in, get your feet wet! Try to buy products which have a good upgrade path or the manufacturers are known for good upgrade paths. For must things these days, consumer electronics seem to be throw-away so even though the manufacturer says it's "upgradeable" via a simple BIOS update... it usually never happens! :-)

I bought my first DVD player in 1997. It was PC based as I wanted to build what I called a "Digital Media Center". Yeah, I paid over $650.00 (US) for that DVD kit! I have it in my "museum" of old PC junk! LOL

We can only buy smarter and you're doing one thing right! You're researching and trying to find the best format(s) and -- more importantly -- the best supported formats. (I would probably had been one of those BetaMax people back int he day!)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us