Help me spend 8K on ML

Username: Sjac

Post Number: 1
All,

After spending about 4 weeks auditioning speakers I am leaning towards Martin Logans for my dedicated HT system (13'X 25'X 7')I am just about to spend 8K on speakers. I was thinking about Aeon i ($2600/pair closeout deal) + Cinema i ($1800) for front and center. If I spend another $1800 on a Depth Subwoofer I have about $1800 left for the 4 rear speakers. Any recommendations for the rears from ML or any other matching pair.

Thanks in advance

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 129
Gavin will be here shortly!

Post Number: 2
I am counting on him, after seeing all his posts. Also any recommendations on places where I could get a "discount" on the speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 630
ok...

in a room that size you might be better off with the Vantage as mains, and nixing the Aeon i's. They may have difficulty for HT, depending on your HT / music usage split.

Here is what I reccomend...

vantage ($5000)
Cinema ($1800)
Aeon i surrounds ($2600)

you can also get away with using Mosaic or Montage surrounds ($2000 and $1500 respectively)

with the vantage, you can get away from using a subwoofer for the time being. They have a powered bass module built in and are flat to 34Hz. The intergration is also outstanding.

HOWEVER, the vantage had a slightly cooler sound to it in the room I auditioned it in. I am not sure if it was a function of the speaker, the electronics, or the room

if you decide to go with the Aeon i, I would suggest nixing the sub yet again for the time being, and going with 4 aeon i's for mains and the rears, and using a cinema i for the center.

you DO NOT want to mix dynamic and electrostatic, it will not sound good. If you are planning on laying down 8 grand for speakers, I would suggest you do it correctly, and hold off on the sub.

Personally, I think that the aeon has great bass response, being really tight, fast, and reasonably deep. That IMHO is more satisfying than a cheap boomy sub anyday.

My dealer DOES have system set up in a room that is similar sized, and the aeons did not have ay issues with it, BUT it was a music system, not HT, which is why I made sure to put the vantage in as well. The vantage is a much more powerful speaker.

Also, if you can come across an Ascent i (some still pop up at dealers) GRAB IT IN A HEARTBEAT!

you might even want to call ML and see if they can locate a pair for you. The sound of these speakers is rich, warm, smooth, and totally involving. They have the warmth and detail of the clarity with the dynamics and most of the bass of the vantage. They will be only a hair more than the aeon at this point, and possibly less if you can find one.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 631
ROTFLMAO!

you guys beat me to it!

you can not find any discounts on ML speakers.

but, if you are up to buying used, or "like new" I would check this website...

www.audiogon.com

be sure to check out the ascent and ascent i... it blows the aeon i away, and in a room that size, it will be worth it! You will be able to get away without a sub at first, and possibly indefinatly.

you might find you can purchase all your speakers "used" and save a bundle

Post Number: 3
Thanks Gavin

Originally I was planning to go with the scripts, but since they are running close out deals on Aeon is ($800 discount), I thought I will go with that. I will look around and find a dealer who has the vantages for audition.

Any other brands you recommend in this range?

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 633
what was it that you liked about the sound... and possibly disliked and I will go from there...

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 634
I would DEFINATLY say no to the scripts. the woofer has a tendency to bottom out when it gets loud, and in a room that size, you would hit the threshold, no doubt about it.

They are a good speaker, don't get me wrong I love them, but I think they won't play loud enough for a room that size, especially for HT when you hit a scene with lots of dynamics. You could risk blowing a woofer.

Post Number: 4
I thought they sounded very natural & real. I loved the clarity and accuracy. They had very good depth. I loved the mid ranges. Ofcourse they looked really nice too!

I own an Audes 5.1 system for the last 6 years, whichI really love. But this was way better than that.

I am not sure I liked the way it sounded with some types of music, such as Rock & roll - atleast with the set up I heard (with a Denon 3806 powering the speakers with out a separate amp). It is not my type of music anyway!! Also I thought it was little muddy with the bass.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 635
ok... the bass can be taken care of with a seperate amp. If you give MartinLogans a good quality seperate amp they will SING!!!

with the qualities you described, I can't think of a single better speaker manufacturer for you than MartinLogan or Magnepan. Those are also the qualities that I myself have come to admire from these wonderful speaker companies.

I myself own magnepans, which are a slightly different speaker, but also use a membrane for a driver. I missed my opportunity for a great deal on a pair of ML clarities, and being that I had to put some money into my car, I bought my maggies.

Magnepans are planar-magnetic speakers that sound very similar to martin logans, but look like window shutters. They have the midrange transeparency, silky treble, and bass that comes from the panel that is tighter than a drum head. There is no cone woofer to cross over.

not to mention that these speakers are CHEAPER than MartinLogans. I should have mentioned it earlier, but these speakers are also a must hear if you are a fan of the ML sound.

www.magnepan.com

speakers from both these companies need to be fed with a good amp to live up to their full potential. They will REALLY open up (just wait to hear the ML if you thought they sounded good with a reciever), and the bass will tighten up considerably.

maggies and ML's both warrent an amp with roughly 150 watts per channel.

Post Number: 5
Ummm...the maggies sound interesting. I need to find a dealer who carries them so that I an listen to them. Are they easily maintainable as the MLs? Any particular models you recommend?

Thanks

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 646
what do you mean by easily maintainable? I don't know of any maintainance that Magnepan speakers need at all aside from cleaning the grills.

For mains:

1.6QR ($1725 per pair)
3.6r ($4300 per pair) first choice

center:
CC3 ($990)

surrounds:
1.6QR ($1725)

even with the 3.6R, which uses a true ribbon tweeter, and is the 2nd from the top of the line speaker in the magnepan lineup, you come in at roughly $7090 for your speakers minus the subwoofer. If you go the route of the 1.6QR, which is also a totally amazing speaker, you will come in at $4400, which is HALF of your budget!

some people feel that Magnepans are a little light on the bass, but it can easily be remedied by a quality sub such as one from MartinLogan.

if you thought that the Aeons were a little muddy, wait til you hear these! I have never heard speakers better these for overall bass reproduction and tightness (did not say depth) provided they are properly set up.

Post Number: 6
After looking on their site, I think they may be too big for the HT Room. I am calling up the dealer in NYC for an audition anyway.

Thanks

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 651
The dealer will be able to advise you on what models will work best in your room. But, I would reccomend the 1.6 personally because of the legnth of the room.

They also make a speaker called the mg12, that one is smaller than the 1.6, check that one out as well.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 841
Do you feel it's necessary to have a 7 speaker system given the enveloping sound both the maggies and MLs produce? The MLs look to provide a great 5.1 system for any room, and the Maggies? I'd rather have the big bad boys than several of the smaller models.

http://www.magnepan.com/_mg201.php

They play down to 25 Hz, and retail for around $12K, I'm sure you can find them for 8 if you look hard enough.

Silver Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 229
Gavin, I thought your ML suggestions were right on. On the Magnepans, I would go with the 3.6s but the big problem here is simply the size of the speakers.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 681
ummm....

I have owned martinlogans, and currently own magnepans, so I myself would use the 1.6 for a room that size.

I myself wouldn't go ANY LOWER than the 1.6, but it is all personal preference.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 682
I had a pair of scenarios for a little while but took them back because they didn't work correctly with my room. Also, I didn't care for the blending of the panel and the woofer.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us