Naim US service

naimless
Unregistered guest
Naim makes some great CD players, from expensive to very expensive. I know, because I used to have one. My CD3.5 (list price $2200 in 2000) was a treat to listen to, until it stopped playing in the last year of its admirable five year warranty. That's when Naim stopped being so great. It took nearly an entire year this warranty repair to resolve itself, and it ended by my dealer giving me another brand's player, because I no longer wanted any Naim product in my house.

First, they took a while to figure out they couldn't fix the unit. Naim did not carry any more CD3.5s, since the model had been discontinued. So they offered me a trade-in price on the replacement model. That's right: they couldn't do the repair, and failed to stock sufficient replacements, so they thought I'd want to turn over $500 for the right to have their current model, which retails for $500 LESS than the one I had! I told my dealer that that was not satisfactory to me, and waited for their response. And waited, and waited, and waited. Frequent visits to my dealer to remind her to keep the pressure on Naim yeilded no results. Finally, I called them directly, and asked them what's the story, and they said they just got a CD3.5 in for trade-in, and they'd send that one to me. At that point, I just wanted my music back, so I said fine. It took another month for them to get it to me, which is when I realized that nearly a year had gone by. When the replacement finally showed up, I took it home and plugged it in, and got no sound whatsoever. That's right - they took nearly one year to send me a broken replacement. I was so upset that my dealer made that offer of any other brand in her store, and I chose the Rega Apollo, a fine player for $1000. I had no intention of waiting more months for Naim to fix this mess.

They did contact me to say that the new player must have got damaged during shipping, which is quite possible, but it does not excuse the duration of time before they shipped the unit, or the insulting offer about me paying more money for a replacement.

I am not a lawyer, but as I understand it, a manufacturer is responsible to repair or replace a warranty item in a timely manner. If no exact replacement is available, then the closest available current model must be offered. There is no allowance for month after month of waiting for a replacement.

Please do not buy Naim equipment until they change their attitude at their US service location, or you could wind up waiting a long time to hear your music.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us