Bi-amp questions

Hi all

When hooking up a bi-amp setup is it vital that the voltage gain for each amp is identical? Also, is there a problem with using two amps that have different RMS power ratings, and if I did so, should the more powerful amp be hooked up to drive the bass or treble?

Porcdoc
Mike ,not sure I understand the first part of the question, but if you are driving a bi-amp speaker
the bass of any speaker arrangement always takes
the most power to drive it. This also assumes the
amplifier has the capability to output the low end
frequencies faithfully and without adding any
additional distortion or atenuation.

Anonymous
I don't really know much about amps, but my amp has been messing up lately. I have tried to fix it but its just not working out! I tried changing the fuse, and every time I try to put a new fuse in , it blows the fuse!? Can you please tell me whats Up.Any way to fix it? Thanks for your help!

Anonymous
Mike:
Yes, the voltage gain of the 2 amps must be identical, or you must insert an attenuator in front of the higher-gain amp to offset the difference. Otherwise, your treble/bass balance will be totally out of whack. You cannot compensate with the tone control, because that cuts/boosts bass/treble at a single frequency (typically 100Hz for bass, 1000Hz for treble). It cannot compensate for a mismatch which is constant across the entire bass (or treble) range.
You might get close with a 12-band equalizer, but you will never be able to tune the response to 'flat'.

Hook the amp with higher rated output power to the bass. A popular setup is to use a tube amp for the treble and a solid-state amp for the bass. "Experts" say the tube amp gives a more pleasing tone, but cannot control high-power bass as good as a solid-state amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us