Can you connect stand-alone DVD-A and SACD players...

Harry Lukovsky
Unregistered guest
Hello

I have an opportunity to buy a Cambridge Audio Azur 540D unit at half the original cost from a co-worker who plans to upgrade to something more high-end. The offer is tempting and my curiosity about the multi-channel format(s) is growing. My dilemma is this:

If I buy the Azur 540D from him, I will be limited to playing DVD-A. If I wanted to play SACD's, then I would need either a universal player or an SACD player. My question is:

Will I be able to connect a DVD-A player and in the future, an SACD player simultaneously? It's not possible right? Only one player at a time can be connected to the 6 inputs on the A/V receiver, right?

I can save for a uni-player but the chance to get the Azur 540D at 1/2 the price of what the guy paid for is too good to pass up. I know him well so the unit's quality, condition, etc. is not an issue.

Harry

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 124
So what is the question Harry, since you've answered the only one in your post?

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3853
Harry, you are right: there is usually only one set of 6 analogue inputs on an A/V receiver, for 5.1. However, you will be able to buy a simple switch box to select between two devices feeding the inputs. A box is inexpensive, passive, and does not degrade the sound. Also remember you will have separate stereo inputs, already on the receiver, usually.

Harry L
Unregistered guest
Thanks, John.

Not to sound any more stupid than I did with my original post, what particular brand or model fo this "switch box" is available out there? I have no clue at this point what this box might be.

A couple more questions that I want to ask:

When loading a DVD-A,
a) is it a must to have a TV hooked to the player to see the OSD menu?

b) Or can one simply load, close the tray, and push "Play" to hear the music? I've read all about the various rates, mixes, etc. that a DVD-A may contain and sometimes one has to make a choice. True?

I have a small dedicated listening room where I envision the CA 540D and a future SACD player to be. I plan to move the harman-kardon A/V receiver, but NOT the TV, out of the living room into my listening room and hook the high-rez gear.

thanks again,
HL

Harry L
Unregistered guest
A follow-up on my post above...

I asked the question about the need to hook a TV to a DVD-A player because of the review from AVGuide.com of the Ayre C-5xe U2 multi-format player that doesn't offer video or multi-channel capabilities.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 131
Harry, sorry about the flippant response - just couldn't help it :-)

John A is correct and came up with an answer I didn't think about. I don't know switch box brands except for maybe Niles which I believe make reasonable quality accessories and speakers. John or others may know more.

Harry L
Unregistered guest
MR, no worries.

I'm itching to try the high-rez format but I'm realizing all the more the impact of this stupid format wars (again!) on us consumers. "Which player to buy?" is really the question that bugs me. The Denon uni-player is too much $$$ for the asking. I don't know about the Pioneer models. The CA 540D seems like a good option at a tempting yard sale price.

Ah... which player to buy?

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3856
Harry,

Hobby electronics shops have RCA switches. In N. America Radio Shack is a well-known name.

I have an NAD T533 which has DVD-A. If you put in a disc, it tries the various audio formats and chooses the "best" available on the disc. The CA 540D is most likely the same. This means you will get DVD-A 5.1 by default, if it is on the disc. I find there is no simple way then choose, say, two channel stereo DVD-A, without the OSD.

I agree that having to choose formats with an OSD is a pain.

The makers of discs and players have not really agreed on a format. Each is trying to keep options open in order to accommodate the other. One good one is to have two sides to the disc. Some have DVD-A on one side, DVD-V (DTS and/or Dolby Digital) on the other. I saw "dual disc" recently which has PCM stereo (two-channel DVD-A without MLP) on one side and CD on the other.

The 540D had excellent reviews for an "entry-level" DVD-A player.

I am still undecided, myself, about SACD. My Rantz has always recommended getting a "universal" player and this is a good idea. The Denon 2900 is a good one, everyone seems to agree.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 535

quote:

Harry, sorry about the flippant response - just couldn't help it :-)

It's obvious that My Rantz is still heavily medicated due to his recent surgery. As such, he should not be held responsible for any comments, opinions, or advice given out until further notice.

:-)

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 136
Sem,

Thanks for providing an excuse for me, but let me assure you that I am perfectly okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay

:-) backatchya

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us