Monitor Audio S1, S2, or just wait on New Ascend 170?

Gary Smalls
Unregistered guest
Is anyone familiar with the Monitor Audio line? If so, would your preference be for the S1 or S2 bookshelf model? Would it be worth passing on both to wait for these new Ascend 170's that everyone is talking about?

Also, what are some reputable online stereo retailers (for non internet-direct stereo purchases)?

Yawa?
Saturday Audio?
Others?

Anon-e-mouse
Unregistered guest
Don't forget the New Ascend 340's (poor guys get overlooked while their little brothers gets all the love).

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 344
Yawa is good, so is Saturady Audio, which is an authrorized Monitor Audio outlet (I assume you know that), but here are some other goood sights:

hifi.com
accessories4less.com
audioadvisor.com
hcmaudio.com
spearitsound.com

I own the Monitor Audio Radius R90,R180 & R360, and love them all. The Radius series are one of the the VERY BEST looking speakers I've ever seen, very solidly built. The R90 is really a surpising powerful little speaker, very musical. I've not heard the MA Silver series, but it should be every bit as pleasing to the eye, and more importantly ear.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 584
I can vouch for Saturday Audio since I go to their store regularly and they are really great. You can actually try out the MA lines there, if you can come to Chicago.

Gary Smalls
Unregistered guest
So, the Monitor Audios are good speakers and not "crap" like I've seen them referred to in this forum?

Also, are the 340's still a "giant killer" for the money, or just comparable to other good speakers in the same price range?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 345
That's just rediculous. People who never go out & listen to equipment repeat some nonsense. Listen to any MA series, from the Radius to the Gold, and see if they are not comprable to any top-tear speaker on the market; The fit & finish is amoungst the best you'll see.

Harry Reems
Unregistered guest
The Paradigm Ref 20's blows them all away!

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 586
Gary I would in no way describe the MA's as crap. Even the R90's which are almost their smallest speakers sound awesome even without a sub and as Chris mentioned they are high quality built and look great.

The only complain I would have is that they are overpriced. I listened to the R90's at Saturday Audio and would have loved to walk away with the demo units they had on sale for $260 (regularly $360 a pair), but that was above my budget. I ended up with a pair of Aperion 422-LR for $180 and paired it up with my BA subwoofer and they sound fantastic.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 346
Agreed, the Paradigm Studio 20s are great, but I'll hold off saying they'll blow away all the MAs untilI listen to the Gold series.

The MAs are expensive, but they are absolutely a world class speaker company. If you shop around, you can find good deals; I did business with dependableaudiovideo.com , and while they're not authorized dealers, I found them to be reputable in my dealings with them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us