Help on a Receiver

Username: Nytefog

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I'm trying to get a few suggestions on the some high quality A/V receivers. I'm starting to build a home theater ever so slowly and thought this would be the best place to start. I would really like one that has very very good sound quality. All suggestion or comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Patrick

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4510
What is your criteria when it comes to "very very good sound quality"? This is a very subjective term and would be terrible if the suggested component did not meet the preferences that are unique to your ears.

However, there are plenty of great receivers and components to choose from. This is a great forum to help kick start your journey.

My recommendation will be based on what I like and I am sure others will have theirs.

With that said, I really like Outlaw Audio equipment, e.g.,Model 1070 if you are looking at a receiver. Or you can get the Model 990 pre/pro and pair it with the Model 7125 power amp. And for the speakers, check out the Sonus Faber line up. I have the Cremonas and I think they are absolutely fantastic.

Do you have budget in mind?

Post Number: 3
My budget for a receiver is around $1000-1200. I like crisp, clear, definition in my music. I don't want any background hissing, humming or any other interference issues.
Thanks

Post Number: 5
I was looking at the marantz sr8500....

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4518
Patrick, I have not had any noise nor interference issues with any Outlaw Audio components. I am using the 7100 and quite a few of their M-Block power amps. I think it is better choice than the Marantz.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/

I have yet to see a person desiring background hissing and interference with their audio equipment:-)

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3424
Patrick,

> I like crisp, clear, definition in my music. I don't want any background hissing, humming or any other interference issues.

You sound like a happy Panasonic sa-xr55 owner waiting to happen! Of course you would have to first be willing to consider the possibility of (God forbid!) putting $770-1770 right back into your pocket.

Below is my usual copy and paste blurb about it, skip if you've seen it already:

==========

Massive PARADIGM SHIFT...this little baby's all-digital technology yields jaw-dropping detail with zero distortion and bottomless power compared to analog receivers costing several times more. I was shocked to discover that it effortlessly outperformed AND outpowered my beloved NAD separates which would cost about 6 times as much brand new! Not to mention my Marantz 5400 that's about triple its (the Panny's) cost.

I bought it for 2-channel music but found that it does HT extremely well, due to the unbelievable clarity and ample power.

Read up on what all the buzz is about, if anything deserves the term "giant-killer" this is it! A couple of threads about this receiver on different forums:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/160136.html

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=1251&page=1&p p=10

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=530504

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=417894

A few caveats---very minor IMHO at this pricepoint: no pre-outs (would negate the whole point of a digital amp after all), subwoofer crossover only down to 80Hz, no room speaker EQ, primitive remote, no digital outputs, no OSD (onscreen display). Also may not be the best choice if you have lousy, overly bright speakers.

Just as some folks still prefer LPs to CDs and tubes to solid state, you might decide to stick with an analog receiver, I'll make no guarantees. But it's definitely worth hearing it to make up your own mind, in any case...it's a whole different animal!

Silver Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 186
I'll nominate the Denon 3805, now selling at a discount because of the release of the new model, the 3806. Clean, crisp, detailed, fantastic midrange, tight bottom end, very gently rolled of highs, and zero coloration. Does that sound like what you are looking for? It is so neutral, that many of the "warm" (and consequently fuzzy) sound zealots on this forum mistakenly refer to it as "bright". I have owned 2 H/K's, 2 Yamahas, Pioneer and Onkyo. This is my 3rd Denon. We have been in the longest relationship to date vs. the recievers listed above. It is hands down the best of the lot. 4 separate high end power supplies with upgraded caps and coils, isolated circuit blocks instead of integrated circuit blocks (which does amazing things for reducing noise, distortion and allowing a pure unadulterated signal)makes this receiver comparable to some separates. But don't just take my word for it, look at the awards: 'Home Cinema Choice' - Best Buy, 'What Video' - Best Buy,What Home Cinema' -- Best Buy, CNET - 2004 Editors Choice, Sound and Vision - 2004 Reviewers Choice,
Audioholics.com - 2004 Receiver of the Year. Hi-Fi Choice, a British magazine gave it a Best Buy, and they normally hate recievers, but not this one.

Mainage
Unregistered guest
I am having trouble with my Ariza Xtreme. It is not rolling and I don't have any idea how to change the keys. I have the radio and the FTA working and I have downloaded the latest .sng file. It still doesn't work.

Mainage
Unregistered guest
I am having troubles with my Ariza Xtreme. I have downloaded the latest .sng and I have the audio/radio working. There is a signal. I think it is because the key is not entered. It is not automatically rolling, and I have no idea how to change the keys on this reciever. Can someone please help me?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us