Outdoor Speaker Hookup

Username: Jbunton

Post Number: 1
I recently hooked up a pair of Polk Atrium 55 outdoor speakers. They are connected to an old Denon RA625 (1991). I'd like to hook up another pair of speakers but I'm confused by what I read in the Denon manual. It states that if hooking up two pair of speakers that 12ohm impedance is recommended for optimal performance. The Atrims are 8ohms so I'm reluctant to hook up another pair for B channel. Can someone please explain this to me? Also, any recommendations on how to get around this would be welcome.

Bronze Member
Username: Gordo_in_ns

Post Number: 28
hook it up, wont matter. i had 2 sets of outdoors hooked up to a sony, wich is crap compared to a 1991 denon. if you wish to add more channels for more get a abc speaker splitter from radio shack, it will fry before damaging anything else

Username: Jbunton

Post Number: 2
I still would like to understand two things:

1. The risk of "just hooking it up". I realize the Denon is old but it's been good to me and would hate to fry it.

2. Why would 12ohm impedance equal better performance? Is it a safety reason?

Username: Orangeclockwork

Post Number: 10
The higher the Ohm rating on the speaker the easier it is for the amp section to drive(on cheaper receiver models. Higher quality receivers have no problem driving two pairs of 8 or 6ohm speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us