Receiver Static

Username: Earl9168

Post Number: 1
I have a Sony STR-DE697 receiver. Currently, I only have 2 speakers connected and no components connected. Whenever the video 1,2,3, or DVD is selected, I hear static over the speakers. When I tune to a radio station, I get clear sound. What is causing the static and is it normal to hear it when no other components are connected?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6909

Is it "static" in that it is irregular in amplitude and frequency or is it circuit noise as in constant in amplitude and frequency?

Post Number: 2
It is a constant static like you would hear on a radio frequency with no signal. I contacted Sony and was told that the reason I'm hearing static is because no components (DVD, Satellite Tuner, VCR) are not connected to the receiver yet. This just doesn't seem "normal" to me in the sense that all other receivers I've had never emitted static. I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction to resolve this issue.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6917

Then it would appear you are hearing circuit noise which is produced by any electronic device. You have not mentioned what speakers you are using. This is important since a more sensitive speaker will have more noise present at quiescent levels than a less efficient speaker.

However, if Sony's answer was to plug in some components, that's where I would begin. Obviously you cannot listen to a system without plugging it together, so do that and find out what happens. If you are still unhappy, your next move is probably to get rid of the Sony since this is probably normal circuit noise from this receiver.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6918

If you do not have other components to plug in, you can use shorting plugs which should eliminate some of the noise from open inputs. Or, take the receiver back to the shop where you purchased it and ask them to verify Sony's opinion by plugging in various components.

Bronze Member
Username: Dodgedifferent2

Sarnia, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 66
I have that exact same reciever. Works pretty good in 7.1 surround :-)

Orange Park, FL

Post Number: 3
I believe I have the static problem solved without connecting any components yet. It appears that all I had to do was change everything to a 2 channel input.

I have a pair of Yamaha bookshelf speakers, model # NS-A635A. They are a bit on the older side (at least 13 years old), but they really sound great.

I'd like to thank everyone for their assistance and input in helping solve the static problem. I have another question but suppose it would be more appropriate in the Home Theather section.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us