Athena or mission bookshelves??

andy visser
Unregistered guest
I am using a Marantz sr5400 and want to set up a surround system for both music and movies. The two speaker types that i have set my mind on are either the athena as-b2.2's or the mission m31i's. This is becuase of budget contraints and ease of aquisition. I would be using two pairs of either brands and the matching center. I plan on adding a sub or two down the road. Which of these speakers (both are the same price) would be best for alternative(mostly), some hip hop (not much) and classical/folk (not much). I listen in a 11 by 19 foot room at mostly moderate levels but soemtimes like to crank it. (same with movies).

Much obliged

Bronze Member
Username: Nik3

Sacramento, Ca Usa

Post Number: 60
atheana is way better in there lower prized but i would go even more to say that polk has a better line but keep in mind that it is the persones ears that determen the sound overal preformance

Bronze Member
Username: Nik3

Sacramento, Ca Usa

Post Number: 61
o would go and hear both speakers and polks to see wich best suits you sombody may say a nother speaker and some would say the other it is albout the persone nobodys ears are the same both are great manufactors

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 329
I have a Marantz SR5400 and a pair of Mission M32i (which are currently hooked up to an NAD C740, but have been tested on the SR5400). The Mission M3 series on sale at Amazon.com are an exceptional value. I have read several glowing reviews of the M31i, and would feel very comfortable recommending them based on my experience with the M32i. The Athena AS-B1s represent another great value, but would be my second choice.

andy visser
Unregistered guest
i was leaning towards the m31i's which i can get at a store near me for the same price as the athenas. I am however not considering the as-b1's. If i went athena i would get the larger b2's. I live in canada where we do not have the pleasure of recieving shipping service from amazon.com I can purchase both these brands for a sale price of 199 a pair. If anyone has any experience how do the m31i's compare to the b2's in bass response. I know the b2's have a larger woofer but i hear that the m31i's have pretty good bass themselves.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 332
Sorry (hadn't had my coffee yet), in that case the AS-B2s are probably the better bet with that larger woofer. If your in the $200 range, I would then consider the Wharfedale 8.2 from Buy.com as well, but I don't know if they deliver to Canada.

Is that $200 Canadian dollars for the M31is? I've got to tell you, that's a bit steep for the M31i, I paid $175 US for the M32i.

Anonymous

Mission/Marantz is a popular combination in other regions and for good reason. The forwardness of the missions go well with the warm, laid back nature of the 5400.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 334
But $200 Canadian for a speaker that's $120 US is kind of hard to swollow. If $200 US is the budget (more if it's Canadian...I think?), I think it's a toss up between the Athena AS-B2s & the Wharfedale 8.2s, I would probably go for the Wharfedales based on reputation (I haven't heard them, but I'd like to).

andy visser
Unregistered guest
"Is that $200 Canadian dollars for the M31is? I've got to tell you, that's a bit steep for the M31i, I paid $175 US for the M32i."

yes thats canadian funds for the m31i's. We tend to get the royal screw job when it comes to things like this. I am looking for descent bass (but not too much) so i think i will end up with the b2's. Plus got 30 days if i dont like em with the futureshop return policy.
Thanks guys

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us