ZuCable Druid, Amphion Helium, Orb, Algeria

Username: Ben2e

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 5
Yes as you can tell I've done a poor job narrowing choices, but I'd like to replace my old ADS 1290's with something preferably smaller to satisfy my wife (man I can't believe I'm writing that but it's true). Many of these speakers I've never heard in person so I turn to you, the audio community who have hopefully tried a few out or have others to recommend.

This is for a 14x16 room but it's open to a large living room on one end. Wood floors, windows, not too friendly I'm sure for sound.

The Zu's seem to get raves and are super efficient. They are big however and not cheap. I'd prefer smaller cheaper speakers but I'm willing to spend 2800 if they really are noticeably better. But no, I don't have a tube amp and don't intend to.

The Amphion Helium's seem to get great rewviews too although they've been around for several years. I like the idea of the low crossover and other no-nonsense engineering. Both these and the Zu's are supposed to be pretty forgiving placed in different locations.

I'm also intrigued by the Orbs (as well as the new Gallo Reference AV's. The both of these (particularly the Orbs) are very small and have mounting options that make them less prominent in the living room. I've heard reviews of the Orbs that are very good but perhaps short of rave reviews. They have no crossover but it's hard to believe such a large driver could reproduce fast treble. The Gallo's have that planar tweeter that should take care of treble although they're quite new.

I've read a review of the Algeria Ling but I'm a little more interested in the Emma with it's ribbon tweeter. I'm in Seattle and this company is quite nearby. It's a bit on the large side of what I wanted but I'd like to learn more.

Aperion is nearby too and are small and seem like good values, but other then CNet most folks seem more impressed by the packaging and build quality then the sound.

If anyone has heard at least one of these choices or has something I should consider instead, please let me know. I realize it's a rather broad set of choices. I've looked before for speakers but it's easy to get overwhelmed with reviews and product information to the point where you just do nothing which is what happened to me last time.

Thanks for the help,

Ben

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 664
Jan has a pair of the Emma he just received so he may be able to give you some insight into their performance. I'm delivering Myra and Emma speakers to Adire Audio this week to take to Las Vegas in January as I'll be on vacation this month. I don't know which part of Seattle you're in but I'm in the south end and Adire is in the north end. We may be able to work out some audition time for you if you like.
Emma may be larger than you would like however it delivers the kind of performance you would expect in a much larger speaker. If you can accomodate the extra size I'm sure you'd be quite pleased.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 726
Ben,

Just so you know, Tim is pretty shy, quiet and reserved. HE IS Allegria Audio and makes the Lings, the Emmas, the Myras, the Rosas and TOMs. So, he knows what he's talking about and he is very willing to allow auditions.

I've heard the Lings and thay are well worth the listen. Depending on your desire for bass, you may or may not want to use a subwoofer but if you're looking at smaller speakers for WAF, you will likely need a subwoofer anyway unless you can find a full range monitor, almost an oxymoron mind you. Good Luck, Dave.

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 194
I don't have any experience with the specifice speakers you are looking at, but I did get to spend a little time with the Amphion Argon2s and found them to be absolutely incredible. I was AB'ing them against a pair of Harbeths with Naim source gear and found the Amphions to have a better soundstage and surprisingly good bass response compared to the larger and more expensive Harbeths. The Amphions were a bit more up-front in their presentation, but for me that was appealing. If the Heliums are half as good as the Argon2s then they're great speakers.

I will, however, second the motion that you should audition Tim's Emmas as well. I haven't had the pleasure yet, but I suspect the price/performance ratio will be stunning.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1320
One of my good friends,he is a dealer that I used to buy from before I got into retail carries Amphions,and they are one of the best kept secrets in speakers on the market the Heliums are amazing for the money,and the Argons are down right frightningly good for any amount of money,yep some of the best speakers on the market.I havent heard the Emmas,but I spent about 2 weeks with the Lings,so i have a good idea what Tim puts into speakers design a lot work and a lot of heart,and for the money the Lings are awsome,but the Emmas might represent the best performance per dollar on the market,just go to the website and read over their parts and their specs,quite breathtaking for $595,just look around see where else you can get that kind of performance for any where close to that.Guess what knowwhere!

Bayless is gone
Unregistered guest
If you truly want an upgrade over your L-1290's ( A speaker I am very familiar with) you'll want to listen to the Green Mountain Audio Calisto's. The Druids are ok, but keep in mind they are basically a full range speaker with a Pizo tweeter above 10khz mounted in the center of the woofer. This presents the same design problems as the Tannoy's do. At least the tweeter is mounted OUT and away from the woofer cone, but it still suffers from the design. Orb is not in the same class as the others, in my humble opinion. Not familiar with the Amphions and the Alegra would benefit greatly from a bezel network. The company WAS on the right track, but now they have this 3 way high order design....????????? Read the sixmoons review on the Callisto's here:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/gma2/callisto.html

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 789
"but now they have this 3 way high order design....?????????"

Could you explain just one more time why the crossover design of a speaker seems to be the most quantatative explanation of performance in your opinion?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us