Best receiver for paradigm cinema 110 speaker

Username: Avees

Post Number: 1
Give me some choices of receivers under $500 for music and movie watching to be compatible with PARADIGM CINEMA 110 5.1 speakers and subwoofer
THANKS

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3120
(drum roll, puh-leez....)

Well we ALL know there's only one logical choice:

...guess what it is?
why by golly, it's-it's-it's:
the truly amazin'
earth-shakin'
analog-annihilatin'
world-dominatin'
history-makin'
big-n-baaaaaaaad-@ss
all-digital TI Equibit
Panasonic
SA-XR55!!!

YES! The digital power-switching technology yields jaw-dropping detail with zero distortion and bottomless power compared to analog receivers costing several times more. I was shocked to discover that it effortlessly outperformed AND outpowered my beloved NAD separates which would cost about 6 times as much brand new! Not to mention my Marantz 5400 that's about triple its (the Panny's) cost.

YES! I bought it for 2-channel music but found that it does HT extremely well, due to the unbelievable clarity and ample power.

YES! Read up on what all the buzz is about, if anything deserves the term "giant-killer" this is it! A couple of threads about this receiver on different forums:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/160136.html

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=1251&page=1&p p=10

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=530504

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=417894

YES! Just as some folks still prefer LPs to CDs and tubes to solid state, you might decide to stick with an analog receiver, I'll make no guarantees. But it's definitely worth hearing it to make up your own mind, in any case...it's a whole different animal.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=591368
...posts #53, 56, and 57 are owners of a Denon 5800, HK7000, HK7200, and Denon 3802.

YES! I have never ever read of anyone selling off their $2500 Rotel 1095, $1000 HK7200, or (in my case) $600 Marantz 5400 for any analog receiver costing anywhere close to the $230 the Panny goes for. Yet accounts like this regularly pop up on audio forums like this concerning the Panny...don't take my word for it, do a quick search and some browsing, you'll see for yourself.

YES! Just a huge paradigm shift, in 10 years I wouldn't be surprised if analog amps go the way of tube amps and turntables, the exclusive province of a microscopic segment of audio consumers.

YES!!!

(30 minute standing ovation from grateful audio consumers the whole world over, as tons and tons of multicolored confetti flutters down from the rooftops of skyscrapers...)

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2332
Or start tossing over ripe fruit.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 529
I vote Edster as #2 poetic genius of the last century.
Right behind Muhammad Ali.

But close, dude, close

Gold Member

Post Number: 3122
ok, I'd be willing to let Ali take 1st place..."float like a butterfly, sting like a bee!"

Wish boxing still had a personality like him around, it's one of the few spectator sports I still care to watch.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 764
Boxing has a great personality around that keeps back just when you thought you saw the last of him... my all time favorite athlete...for different reasons now than before...

Mike Tyson

Gold Member

Post Number: 3142
Iron Mike...haven't kept up with him for a while.

Would love to see one of these super boxers in their prime step into a UFC ring with some Brazilian jujitsu stud though. I think Royce Gracie once challenged Tyson to do so way back when Tyson was still good.

Listen For Yourself
Unregistered guest
If you listen to any music at all, make like Shrek and stay Far Far Away from the Panny. It's fine for movies but sounds liks $h!t for music through any kind of revealing speaker. It has the most unnatural sounding audio of any receiver I've listened to in the last couple of years. If you want your Dvorak to sound like DEVO, the Panny is the way to go. Otherwise, invest your hard-earned money in Denon, HK, Marantz or Yamaha equipment.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3148
ah yes, the Pannys Envy Club has spoken!

LOL!

Listen For Yourself
Unregistered guest
Gee Edster, the locals are really rallying to support your platform. My "name" is really the most important thing here. If you listen to the Panny and it suits you, that's fine. But there are more products on the market that are better than the Panny than products that are worse. Period. It is NOT audio nirvana, despite what you may think. It's a cheap piece of $h!t, and anyone with a decent ear can hear that. It's a shame you can't. Although it's fortunate for your bank account. I'm not about to say you need to break the bank for good sound. But if you think the Panny is the pinnacle, even within its price range, you are sorely mistaken.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3155
Well if the Panny is really so bad as you say, why are you bothering to post so obsessively under an unregistered pseudonym?

If it's so bad, why isn't there a massive backlash of disappointed and appalled Panny buyers like there is of HK buyers who had QC issues?

LOL, what are you so FRIGHTENED of?

As for your gutlessly unregistered "name"---heh, I usually DO tell people to home demo the xr55 against more expensive analog receivers. But I guess it's hard to read clearly when you feel so deeply threatened, isn't it?

All Snobs Must Die!
Unregistered guest
Unregistered guests are not to be trusted.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2345
I agree whole heartedly with you LFY. Please register and join us.

Silver Member
Username: Smitty

Post Number: 258

quote:

If it's so bad, why isn't there a massive backlash of disappointed and appalled Panny buyers like there is of HK buyers who had QC issues?

I suspect those Panny buyers (myself included) just returned their receiver to the store and moved on. Not a big deal, just another tryout that was too good to be true.

It's typically the owner who decides to keep the Panny or HK or whatever and is either elated or deeply disappointed that ends up becoming a promulgator on a public forum.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3172
Smitty,

then how would you explain the hordes of ex-Bose-victims who jump up to bash Bose at every opportunity?

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 180
Because at least the Panny is not ridiculously overpriced Edster. It's a cheap piece of cr@p instead of an expensive one. With the Panny you get what you pay for. With Bose you don't - which is why there's a lot of venom.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3179
That's a valid point about how overpriced Bose is, must admit.

But refresh my memory, Ziggy---which of these are you:

1. Have never heard the Panny, just going by price-based snobbism/fear.

2. Have heard the Panny briefly in some cheesy big-box store and not surprisingly didn't like it.

3. Actually did a home demo of the Panny expecting to hate it, and hated it.

4. Actually did a home demo of the Panny with an open mind, and hated it.

I respect #4 entirely.

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 182
How about choice #5. Listened to the Panny (ok, it was the XR70, instead of the XR55) at a friend's house, on speakers that I respect although I'm not particularly fond of (B&W 603s), with music I know well (a variety), and found it to vascillate between mediocre and somewhat less than that depending on the type of music. For what it's worth, in the $200-300 price range, I'd rank brands this way (sound quality only)

H/K 235
Denon
Pioneer
Yamaha
Panasonic
JVC
Onkyo
Sony

Also, for what it's worth, my friend returned the Panny and bought an H/K 235.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3180
Funny, I used to recommend the HK235 too but recently I listened to a bunch of HKs at a Circuit City and suddenly noticed they all have this inherent hissing/buzzing at low to moderate volumes, which does get drowned out when you turn them up. It wasn't the setup because the Onkyos and Pioneers they had there didn't have any hiss/buzz. There was no Panny there to compare with, but I think I may have noticed it because of the zero noise floor on the Panny.

I have to admit of all those analog receivers there, the HKs certainly did sound best.

I have not heard the B&W 600 series but have read on various boards that entry level B&W is often considered "bright"---certainly not a quality I'd look for in a speaker to be used with the Panny.

Would love to hear something like a Polk Lsi or Tim's Lings on the Panny though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us