Ascend CBM-170s or Mission M32is?

Username: Lazbec11

Post Number: 4
I have been reading reviews on both, both seem to get great ratings. They will be my only two speakers (for a while), and will be used solely for music.

Bronze Member
Username: 2morex

Exmore, Virginia USA

Post Number: 22
Rebecca: i reccomended the missions mainly because of the "bargain" price at amazon and the reviews I read, however, if you are willing to spend the extra funds, the ascends are a no-brainer. They offer a 30 day in home trial, what more can a buyer ask for? If you follow my advice and buy quality used gear you can easily make your budget with the ascends.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3075
I second RD.

Of course, if you ABSOLUTELY want to be sure you can always order both and ship back the one you like less, you'll be out maybe $15-20 UPS.

Post Number: 5
Hey! OK, so it seems from reading some of these posts that some pieces work better with certain other pieces (eg, same maker equipment seems to sometimes work better together than they would with mixed and matched brands?). So, if I got the amp and player you mentioned, would it make a difference whether I got the Ascends or the Missions? Also, you didn't mention a sw- do I not need one with the Missions? Sorry if I am saying something stupid, I really am new at this.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3077
The Ascends are a very neutral and revealing speaker, so they'd go well with the Panny.

I have not heard the Missions but have read a few of its detractors find it "bright," which would NOT go well with the Panny at all. On the other hand I would expect the Missions to have more bass than the Ascends, just as I'd expect the Ascends to demolish them in the midrange and treble department...it's a tradeoff.

If you are not watching movies then the Missions might be passable without a sub whereas the Ascends definitely require a sub for any application unless you really do not like strong bass at all in your music.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 264
Good point Edster, the Missions are definitely more than passable without a sub, for that matter, a center channel may be optional for small to medium size HT applications with the imaging qualities of the M32i.

I would not call the choice a no-brainer though.

1. The Mission M32i are $175. delivered vs. $328 +$16 s/h...that's a significant difference in $$$.
2. The Missions are not bright; they're detailed & vivid, with excellent bass.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 265
Someone else on this board has to own a pair of these? I can't be the only one to rave-on about them.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 266
Once again, as for Missions being too bright, here is a review of the Mission M52, an older tower "cousin" to the M32i bookshelf.

http://202.186.86.35/audio/printerfriendly.asp?file=/2002/8/15/audiofile/15missi on&sec=audiofile

Anonymous

You don't have to read a book to review it. All you have to do is read the reviews.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 267
Huh?

Anonymous

Rebecca,
Listen to the people who listen to the speakers.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 268
True, however all the reviews for the M32i are from owners to this point, and many people trend towards being overly positive about their buying decisions (I try not to be one of them).

I believe it's better to get objective, perhaps professional reviews.

no name
Unregistered guest
Missions in general are slightly bright, but if matched well with other components these are very good speakers for the money. It does take a bit of experimenting with other components and even interconnects to get it right with these.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 274
No name,

I'm just curious? What Missions are you referring to? Is it your experience, or have you read reviews?

no name
Unregistered guest
Experience ;-) after reading reviews that is ;-)

Reviews are worthless most of the time, unless reviewer has the same carpet/soffa/drapes as you do... ok, I'm being silly here, but you get the point. Unless you take the stuff home and try it, no way of telling if it's a good fit for you.

I used to own M74 and auditioned M70/71/73 - before I bought 74s, and most recently tried M34 as well.
All are quite nice speakers (well I didn't really like M70/73 as much as the other two)

For HT, no issue, but if missmatched with wrong components for music (or receivers around $500 range) they can sound a bit bright, and tiring on the long run. With M74 and M34 now, you also need to pay more attention when positioning these in the room.

Just my two cents ;-)

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 275
No Name,

That's good, you own them, and so you'd say that Missions are bright in general. That's not my experience with the M32i, perhaps the improved internal wiring (hence the "i") has something to do with that, or perhaps because I've used them on an NAD & a Marantz receiver. I don't know how they would sound on a Yammy or Panny, or how any other of a litany of variables would affect the end sound.

Thanks.

Bronze Member

Exmore, Virginia USA

Post Number: 26
Guys, I think that we are missing the point here. Rebecca is attempting to get into hi-fi, I am not too sure she knows if she wants "detail" or not. Her safest play is to obtain solid performing electronics and experiment with speakers over time. One thing that she mentions she desires is bass response, which the missions have over the ascends. Let's get her into some solid electronics, train her ears, and then steer her into the right direction on her next upgrade, which if we do our job correctly will happen. the missions, some solid electronics such as nad or arcam and she is on her way. I am not nad's biggest supporter but they offer a good "taste" of what this hobby is about.

no name
Unregistered guest
Use to own them ;-)

Well your NAD is a good match for these IMO, traditionally warm sound, will help you get the best out of Mission. Playing with the right interconnects will give you improvement (which IMO again, most people don't have the patience for - picking right interconnects I mean - and it's also hard to convince yourself to spend extra $$ on interconnects when it's not "that much better than the cheaper cable").

If you pick the right CD player, right amp, Mission will sound really good. Not sure if you missunderstood what I said earlier, in general, Mission makes good speakers but do require a bit of "mix and match". Once you do, sit back and enjoy. ;-)

no name
Unregistered guest
RD, you are correct on this one.

Mission has really nice and tight bass, no question about that, I have compared it against several diff speakers in the same price range.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 276
I know I must sound like a broken record, but here I go again.

What speaker at this moment in time offers a better value than the M32i? I think you would have to spend at least $100, perhaps alot more, to get comprable sound.

The M32i are an entry-level audiophile-quality speaker to build around, IMHO. They're well-built, bi-wireable, British designed, 6.5" mid/woofer, great-sounding mains for $175. I don't know how you can go wrong?

Bronze Member

Exmore, Virginia USA

Post Number: 27
Chris: just checked amazon and they say the 32s are out of stock (not available)! Becca, I hope you got a pair! I see that Audio Advisor has some Boston Acoustics on sale this week, never heard them but they may be an option, would have the bass extention but I personally worry about the tweeter. Chris, you did the missions well, somebody bought them up!

Anonymous

Well, looking at Amazon, it seems Rebecca could buy the Mission M34i for about the same price as the Ascend CBM-170. The M34i have a frequency response of 44 to 20K +/- 3 db, and they wouldn't need a speaker stand.
But then I suppose they wouldn't sound anywhere near as good as the Ascend speakers.

no name
Unregistered guest
Don't know Ascend speakers, but Rebecca, this is a steal, you cannot go wrong here for the money, these are good speakers. Might be more than you wanted to spend, but it's a great deal.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AREC3Y

Montreal, QC Canada

Post Number: 6
Hey RD,

Thanks for all the input (Everyone!). I had trouble with login for awhile. I find your post funny, because a few days ago I was going to ask about reading reviews vs. listening, and I was going to say that speaker preference seems to be a highly subjective thing, but that for me probably any better equipment will sound amazing, and I haven't delved yet into the whole warm/rich vs. cold/analytical forum, etc. Oh also, I actually don't think I mentioned bass response, I just asked if I needed a sub- I listen to all kinds of music, so I guess a balance is in order.

Bronze Member

Exmore, Virginia USA

Post Number: 31
Becca, with the right speaker such as the missions you more than likely will never need a sub. I would seriously consider the larger missions as anon has suggested and don't let us scare you off with all this "detail", bright, warm talk. and by the way, you are very welcomed.

Anonymous

And with a Marantz PM-7200, you would never need another amp. Class A. At Cambridge. Use 10 percent off code.

no name
Unregistered guest
Agree with RD, no sub with larger mission needed, this you can be sure of.
Your comment "...any better equipment will sound amazing.." is incredibly accurate, most first time buyers make mistakes because of this.
It's good that you're asking around for advice, better to find out what kind of sound you preffer before you buy - not to say that we are final authority on speakers by any means ;-).

That said, I'll repeat, that IMO this deal on m34i is just too good to pass ;-)

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 277
Becca,

Sorry about the M32i being out of stock. The M34i is a GREAT deal as well, but it is a bit more expensive & may not be what you want.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 278
Rebecca,

I would keep checking Amazon.com, they might get them back in-stock.

Montreal, QC Canada

Post Number: 7
I bought the Ascends. Is that bad? I feel like a traitor! Heehee. I feel like I'm picking sides. However, I figure that as I'm going to be seriously broke for at least the next 5 years, I might as well splurge while someone else is footing the bill. Thanks for all the help. Now what connecting gear do I get? And if you're feeling generous, you could answer me this as well- what is an amp for? And why don't you need it with every set-up?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3195
congrats, Rebecca...you'll be very happy! Be sure and post your thoughts when they come in and you have a chance to listen to them.

If you already have a receiver, it will need to have amplifier pre-outputs in order for you to be able to hook up an external amp, which usually will boost power and sound quality.

Anonymous

Is this Nuck again! Hell I'm getting paranoid now!
If not, I'll attempt to explain. All audio signals are amplified 3 times or so in most rigs, once by the op amps in your cd player or preamp for a phono, then again in an active preamp that processes the signal and forwards such to the power amp which then sends the electrical signal to your ascends. Integrated amps such as you have been reccomended have these amps all in one package, therefore "integrated". A stereo receiver is an integrated plus a tuner. If this confuses you, you better seek a dealer.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 279
You did well, I almost bought the Ascends too (albeit a pair of B-stock CDM-170s). They are great speakers from everything I've read about them. Your going to love them. Let us know what you think when you get them.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 546
Vooldemort, relax.I AM NOT HIDING IN YOUR CLOSET!!!
I made the post for reasons previouslt described, and will read only for a while, to everyones pleasure.

That tweed jacket, hanging on the left with the elbow patches has GOT to go, BTW.

psychoman365
Unregistered guest
This is an excellent thread, since this is exactly what I had been looking for. I ordered the last pair of M32is from Amazon 3-4 days back.

I am slightly dismayed at hearing that you think the Missions may not work well with the Panny xr55 since that is just the receiver that I ordered. Oh well! I will just have to try them out and see if I like them. If not the Panny, can anyone recommend some other receiver that is not expensive and that will work well with the Missions.

Couple of questions:
1. This is my first set of speakers and my first foray into decent quality audio systems. I keep reading in forums about how speakers will sound better if broken in correctly. What is a recommended way for breaking in the M32is?

2. Since the M32is are rear ported, they need to be placed away from the back wall. What is a recommended distance from the back wall, and also how high should the stands be?

3. The reviewer on the Amazon site highly recommends biwiring the M32is since he claims to have found a huge difference. Any thoughts?

I chose to audition the M32is mostly because they have decent bass for bookshelves and I wont need a sub.

Anonymous

1. just play some music for a day or so
2. you need to experiment, I would say 3 ft or so
3. If you'd like to justify spending double your budget in cabling. I would not think a significant difference would be heard through the phanny.

no name
Unregistered guest
0. NAD receivers would probably be good fit for mission (although apparently there are some issue with these once sub. gets hooked up - that's what I read anyway)

1. To break your speakers correctly, I believe mission recommends leaving them on for 48 hours continuously once you first hook them up, but in general more you listen to them better they will sound.

2. 3 ft. is probably a bit excessive for these, with M34i, I'd say 2 ft. at least, with these, depends on the size of your room, you might get away with 1 ft. (they also come with foam that you can use to "block" the rear port, haven't played with that myself, but you can try that as well)

3. You will not hear the difference if you bi-wire these, save the money you'd spend on cables, not with you receiver for sure (or any budget receivers I think).

Hope this helps.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 280
Don't give-up on the panny just yet. Don't assume because someone presumes that the panny & missions aren't a good match that they're not, you might just be surprised. .

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 281
Rebecca,

If the CBM-170s haven't shipped yet, you might want to wait a bit for the updated CBM-170se to be released.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 572
Agreed with Christopher, ANY combo could work for you, regardless of what others think online.
My combo sound bright on paper, but works ok for me.

Anything you get cheap or on trial is worth a go, personal satisfaction may be a combination of price and smiles!

psychoman365
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your suggestions. I will try out the panny.

Also I was planning on getting slightly short stands for the Missions. About 24 inches or so.. Will this be okay?

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 574
If the stands are rigid, sure give 'em a try.
Are they hollow for filling?
Just another considaration in the middle of all the others.

It's all good!

Anonymous

The rule with stands is that you generally want the tweeter at ear level with your listening position.

Anonymous

Say no name, etc, have you actually tried biwiring and found that it doesnt work? and have you tried it on missions? or are you just speaking from theory?

Tuttle
Unregistered guest
FWIW, my experience using the Mission M32i and the M31i with my old NAD 1740 is that they produce an extraordinary amount of bass with the NAD, perhaps because of its high current design.
The warm sound of the NAD works well with the Missions. But the old 1740 lacks the detail of a more modern amp. It also comes in short on the high end, but if you don't have other equipment to compare it to, you wouldn't know what you are missing.
The Missions are chameleons. I have used them with six different amps, and they take on the character of the amp. The speakers, themselves, are remarkably neutral.Find a neutral amp, and you will hear the truth.

no name
Unregistered guest
Yes, I tried bi-wiring missions.

Bi-wiring works, it will improve the sound in most cases, I'm not questioning the concept, I'm just saying that in my experience, bi-wiring didn't make any difference on few budget receivers/speakers.
If you're saying it does... well, your ears are different, perhaps better than mine. ;-)

Few years after I got into this whole "HI-FI" thing I found that (for me) most budget receivers just aren't good for music listening (never tried really expensive ones to be honest).
Difference between them and (budget) integrated amps. is just incredible. The power, the sound, you name it (of course I'm talking about music here, not the movies).

For a person that might say something like "well, it works fine for me, I'm perfectly happy with my receiver" and that's fine, I agree that if it works and makes you happy, stick with it.

What I'm saying is that I was the same as Rebecca or few other people in here.

Got out of college, and just bought something to replace my sh.... old shelf system (so I was all proud to get universal DVD player for music and movies and budget receiver... etc...), and initially was blown away, of course it sounded much better than what I had before (anything would really ;-), and later, as I was getting more "educated" about the whole thing, and listened to different components, found out that there is much, better gear out there for the same amount of money I spent on mine. But it took me a while to admit that my system doesn't sound as good as I thought or wanted it to sound ;-)

I think everybody goes through this.

Again, if panasonic (or any other) receiver, bi-wiring missions, and what not... works for someone, they should stick with it.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 610
Sounds fair enough, Tutttle, have you, by chance, tried them with a rotel, or maybe an arcam?

Tuttle
Unregistered guest
Sorry, I have not. My tastes are restricted by my limited budget.
I am currently listening to Joni Mitchell on the M32is courtesy of the Marantz PM-7200, with an incredibly beautiful snowstorm swirling outside. I find Class A to be adequate for the Missions.
I am content, and have no desire to look for greener pastures.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 615
I dig, man.
Just wondered cause you said 5 or so power sources for the missions.
Stuck in snow? I feel your pain.
North of London, we got like another foot or so this afternoon, standard fare.

I put the snows on today, though

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 616
Did you find the Marantz to be finally 'neutral'?
Which other amps did you try?

Tuttle
Unregistered guest
I own two other Class A amps, plus a Marantz HT and a desktop stereo, but nothing that would impress an Arcam user. Sorry to disappoint you.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 627
No disappointments Tuttle.
I only asked to get a feeling for the missions.
Nothing more.

psychoman365
Unregistered guest
Hi guys,

My system is up and running beautifully. Wanted to thank you guys for your input, and thought I should share info with others looking for this information.

Speakers: Mission M32i (the last pair from Amazon)(I ordered mine before I saw Christopher's review here, but I was very relieved hearing about them from his posts. Thanks Christopher!)

Receiver: Panny xr55 (Thanks to Edster on this one). From Amazon.

CD player: Philips el cheapo (cant afford better ones now)

Stands: Not here as yet, but I bought the Sanus Euro Foundations 24 inch. From ebuyer.com (shipping is 8 bucks, but their return policy is not great..) It had good reviews and cost 40 bucks for the pair. Metal and the base can be filled if I want to.

Wiring: 14 gauge RCA cabling from Home Depot.(Thanks to Edster for this advice again.. Saw his post on another thread somewhere.)
No clips etc. just stuck them in..

DISCLAIMER: I am no audiophile, and these are my first pair of decent speakers. So swallow with a fair measure of your favourite condiment.

The Missions are made of wood and have a good sturdy look. They are on the bigger side for a bookshelf, especially because the depth is a lot more than usual. I guess thats where the bass response comes from.

They sounded a bit weak when I just opened them and played stuff. But after about 20 hours of playing, they are sounding AMAZING. Really amazing sound stage. And they have a nice bold sound. Decent bass response. For me, thats what sealed the deal. I live in an apartment (2nd floor), cant have downfiring subwoofers, and cant afford the more expensive ones either. I just wanted a fair amount of bass response, so I wouldnt miss a subwoofer. When I move to a better place, I will probably get a sub. Really excellent pair of speakers for $175 bucks.

The pairing of the Panny and the Missions are sounding great to my ears. Though, sometimes, (maybe psychologically induced due to some of the comments that I read) they do sound a bit bright. I will have a better idea when I audition the speakers with other receivers.

I have listened to a lot of CDs on these speakers. I think the most amazing were the Chinese violins/mandolins and vocals in a couple of Buddha Bar songs. Classic Rock albums, live recordings, are amazing, especially due to the soundstage. Vocals sound superb. In general they can carry most kinds of music really well. I would highly recommend them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3334
you're very welcome, glad you're happy with the Panny. Yep, those Missions are sure getting a lot of raves around here these days! Would love to hear them too.

> Though, sometimes, (maybe psychologically induced due to some of the comments that I read) they do sound a bit bright. I will have a better idea when I audition the speakers with other receivers.

Good that you understand the power of expectations/influence, some alleged "audiophiles" like to fancy themselves to be immune to it LOL. Yes it can work both ways, to make you like or dislike any particular piece of gear...and AB comparisons are a very potent antidote.

However, keep in mind that when you do audition your speakers with other receivers, in addition to the different sound characteristics of those receivers you will also be subject to differing *room acoustics* unless you are listening to those receivers at home in the same room you're using the Panny in right now. Might be worth bringing the Panny with you, in that case.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 312
I'm very happy you like the M32i, being a novice at all this too, I was a bit nervous making some of the claims I've made about my experience with these speakers, but I feel real confident about this recommendation.

That W-I-D-E soundstage can be misdescribed by some as brightness, but it's not IMHO. These Missions are not bright; vivid, yes, detailed, yes; but brightness is a negative, brightness hurts your eyes, and bright sound hurts your ears, that in no way describes these M32i.

Repeat after me, I love my speaker, there are many like it, but this one is mine, etc., etc.

...just joking, but you get the point. You can talk yourself into or out of just about anything. You've got a great speaker at a great price. I wish you many years of enjoyment out of it. Enjoy.

Chitna
Unregistered guest
psychoman365:Just out of curiousity, how does one mount an 8x13 inch speaker on a 6x6.5 inch speaker Sanus stand?
And is it possible that the Panny is bright, rather than the speakers?

psychoman365
Unregistered guest
Chitna,
I haven't yet got my Sanus stands yet, but my understanding is that the top plate does not have to be as broad as the speaker base. I assume that you just have to place it right so it doesn't tip over. In fact the stands that Mission recommends for the M32i, the Mission Stancette, has a top plate dimension of about 6.5 X 8.5 inches, which is not very far from the dimension of the Sanus. Anyway, when my stands arrive I'll post here if there are any problems.

Yes, it is possible that the Panny is bright. But since I haven't tested my receiver with other known neutral speakers or vice versa, I can't comment. Don't know when I'll get a chance to do that, but I'll post here if I find something interesting.

zic
Unregistered guest
Anyone have any experience with the Mission m34i's with a Sonos ZonePlayer (digital wireless 50w amp)? Am thinking of picking up the speakers now while Amazon deal is on, and will be buying Sonos for the house in a couple of months. Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us