Totem Arro and Studiolab Refrence One

Bronze Member
Username: Raks

Post Number: 92
Hi,

I was looking around and came across StudioLAB Reference One Speaker which is exact replica of Totem Arro with the tweeter skewed to the side and with woofer on the top. I am not sure who had the priginal design. But all I am interested is which one sounds better ? Looks like StudioLAB is an internet drect company as well and so can not go for any audition. Can anyone throw some light on the comparision fo these two speakers ?

Thanks
Raks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
bump

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1246
They both are very similar and offer the same type of sound,the Studio Lab is cheaper it lacks a plinth and spikes,and it comes mass loaded already (hence) they weigh 65lbs,and the cabinet are a little wider and deeper.They use a Seas tweeter a 3/4 inch soft dome,where as Totem designed the Arro tweeter also a 3/4 inch soft dome from the ground up.The Arros are mass loadable,they both use a 4 1/2 inch MB Qaurt woofers.The simialariaties are obvious,they are both extrememly good speakers,take your pick,they sound almost identical.The SEAS tweeter in the Studio Lab is the same one in the Epiphony.

Anonymous

The only person who can decide which one sounds better is you. Try listening to speakers instead of asking questions. You've been doing this for months. Listen to speakers and buy what you like. It's not rocket science.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
Anonymous,

I am listening to speakers and doing auditions with whatever is possible for audition. I have auditioned more than 20 different speakers till now. If you dont know what I am doing, you can ask...instead of judging what I am doing. On top of all of this auditioning, I was out of town for more than 5 weeks. StudioLab Reference One is an internet direct brand and the ony way to audition is if some owner allows a perfect stranger like me to enter their house and audition it. Just for the sake of knee jerk reaction guys like you, I have clearly mentioned that Studio Lab Reference is an internet direct brand in the original post itself. May be you need to read the post properly before responding to it.

Raks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
Tawaun,

Thanks for letting me know your take on it. I appreciate your input. On the same front, I have seen posts from you givng good reviews for :

Totem Arros, Hawks
EPOS M12.2, EPOS M5
Wharfedale 9.6, Wharfedale Opus 1, Opus 2
Tim Lings and Tim Emma

Price not being a factor, can you rate these speakers for 2 channel set-up ? I listen to Vocals, Instruments and Pop. Of all of the above, I have auditioned Totem Arros and may be auditioning EPOS in the near future. But the others I can not audition. I like Totem Arros. If you can throw some light on their comparision, I will highly appreciate it.

Thanks
Raks

Anonymous

Raks, the idea that you would base any decision on any factor besides what YOU like and what YOU can afford tells me all I need to know. There are no absolutes here. Totem Arros are great speakers, but they are also sensitive to the amplification powering them and the sources used. The point is still the same... YOU need to listen to them and make YOUR decision. I understood from the very beginning of this thread that StudioLab is internet-direct. And if they're a reputable company they will allow you demo the speakers in your home and return them if you don't like them. If they won't allow you to do this, why would you even want to buy from them?

Bronze Member
Username: Cmoore

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 21
Rak. Just keep in mind that when auditioning speakers, try to listen on same, or similiar equipment to your own to avoid disappointment at home. Good dealers will allow you to return equipment for another choice, if not satisfied.
Good luck!

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1254
Its hard to do that,I can for myself,but you have to audition these speakers,they have different personalties.You seem to like the Arros,why not by them?.I will do this for you for the last time the next time you come back here please tell me you have auditioned all of them,because ultimatelly the decision is gonna be yours,because you are listning to them and buying them.

1.Epos M12.2,just increadible a silly value,they do everything great,with immaculant timing,nothing times like a Epos they are magical in this regard,and pretty much everthing else to,they are the total package.Paired with Creek gear they make most systems sound foolishlly slow and unmusical and boring.

2.Epos M5 this was my original choice even before I bought the Epihony,and i wasted my money because I didnt go with Epos,a smaller version with same strenghts and at the price they maybe the best vaue on the planet.

3.Emma Ive never heard them,their speciafacations are mindblowing as is their parts,but I beleive in Tims work after hearing the Lings and knowing that he puts his soul into his work,these could be special,and as good as my favorites,i look for big things from the Emmas.

4.Totem Arro,they are just so good at everything,a little more power in the Bass would make these one of the best speakers on the planet regardless of price.

5.Wharfedale Opus 1&2 they are both amazing with a well controlled warmth,and precision,If I had more time with with they would be higher on my list,very detailed and powerful in low freqeunceys.

6.Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 these and the 9.5s are the best floorstanders at these kind of prices by a far margain, at this price,except for 2 new entries at this price the Epos els 303,and the Kef iQ5,but both of the Diamonds go much lower in the bass.

7.Totem Hawks,now looking at this new group they suddenly seem overpriced to me,but they are still very good and they have exceptional build qaulity and a very user friendly character, and with different and lower priced electronics,which is unusual for speaker at this price point.They only play deeper bass than the Arros,but the Arros do everything else better,for the money look elswhere.

8.Lings,dont take this the wrong way at their price they have a way with voices like no other in their class,this is the kind of speaker that you dont want to put in some silly comparrison,they are a different animal,they remind of another one of my favorite speakers the Harbeth HLS 5s,a mini version,quite a acheivement by our own Tim Foreman,most companies would not have the balls to build a budget speaker like this with the way it operates and its quality parts,a very pretty sounding speaker they really sing a pretty note.This speaker isnt designed for everyone they are for a select type of listner to them the only other speaker they would love is Harbeths and Spendors.By no means are they a last place speaker,they are a true winner.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us