M&K speakers in 2005

Username: New_kris

Post Number: 1
Hi,

It has been a number of years since M&K S-150 THX speakers have been released and I was wondering what are some of your opinions about M&Ks in 2005? Are they still at the top or is there anything that outperforms them these days? I am looking at S-150THX main speakers, SS-150 THX surrounds and MX-250THX sub. Any alternatives that will beat the system mentioned above?
Thanks in advance.
Kris, the new guy.

Post Number: 2
bump....

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 758
I don't think much has changed in their design over the years.

I've heard them described as a very analytical speaker with a "dry" sound - which one can take to mean uncolored, or alternately without any warmth.

They are expensive and some would consider them the best for home theatre. If you like the sound they are definitely a strong performing speaker.

As far as another system "beating" them, that would all depend on your taste. At the M&K's price point a certain level of quality is almost expected, it just comes down to what your preferences in sound are, and what you will use them for. For example, I haven't heard them described as a very musical speaker.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1029
I've been playing with M&Ks for the last few months. I haven't tried the SS150s, but the P150s are already very good indeed. If I were choosing for Home Theatre, M&K would top my shortlist (of 1). If I were choosing for music first I would consider alternatives since music presentation is so much more subjective. That said, of the home theatre oriented packages, M&K are probably the most musical in my experience.

I have played with the MX700 and the MX350 subs and they are both fabulous subs indeed. The 700 gets me every time since it's such a comparatively small box - awesome is the right word to use with this. Also, once the satellites are M&Ks, the seamless integration you achieve with an M&K sub is unbeatable in my view.

Moving away from M&K, then it is often just as sensible to mix and match subs too. For example, I would always choose either an M&K, Velodyne or REL over a B&W sub in B&W's own 700 series package. I find the B&W sub a bit 'obvious' due to cabinet colouration. Totem offer some lovely speakers too, and their subs are pretty good, but I'd still want to test a Velodyne first, particularly since the better ones have the room EQ software that allows them to iron out room-based bass resonances.

But M&K remain a formidable choice for pure HT.

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 3
Thank you Kano and Frank.
Kris
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us