Ideas for 7.1 speakers

Username: Winger53215

Post Number: 3
Hi,

Pretty new to this. Have read and learned, now time for questions.

Have a new avr-525, Polk Moniter 50's fronts,rti4 rears, csi center and velodyne 1000 sub. I am looking for suggestions on what I should use for the 6th and 7th speaker if any. I would be able to wall mount them.

TYIA

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 326
The extra 2 are redundant in most applications.
Multi room the other 2 somewhere else close to the sub to spread the fun around?
BTW, do the monitor 50's bi-amp?

Bronze Member
Username: Jimpaum

Raleigh, NC

Post Number: 12
I don't know how the 525 operates, but I have the Marantz SR5500 and I use the surround back speaker connections for multiroom speaker B playback. I have connected two outdoor speakers under the eaves (I had speaker wire installed and dropped to the crawl space in a recent remodeling). The SR5500 allows me to have separate input source and volume control for the "B" speakers - although you only get one chance to set the source and volume level when you switch 'on' the B speakers (I plan to add an outdoor volume control to give me a little more flexibility).

Post Number: 4
what is bi-amp?

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 331
Does the speaker have 2 binding posts or 4?
If they have 4, you can run 2 channels to each front speaker.

Post Number: 5
Yes there are 4 posts, 2 red 2 black. If I did this what would I also attach the Surround L and Surround R? What would this help accomplish?

Username: Cmoore

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4
Speakers with 4 binding posts allow more flexibility for hook ups.
With the jumpers installed you simply wire them like any other.
With the jumpers removed, the High, and Low ends are split up so you can Bi-amp, or Bi-wire.

Bi-wire cable has 2 connects at the Amp end, and 4 connects at the speaker end with 1 pair typically larger than the other. The Large pair would go to the bottom (Driver), and the Small pair to the top (Tweeter). Sound generally travels along the outside of wire, with Low Hz (Bass) liking more surface area, and High Hz (Treble) not caring so much.

With High End Cable, this is done to get price down. My 10' set for main L&R were $2000, but if both pair were same size, they would probably be $2500.

Bi-amp is splitting the "same" signal to 2 channels on the Amp enabling you to use separate smaller and larger gauge cables, or a Bi-amp cable (4 connects at each end). I have done this with a stereo setup using a 4 channel amp (2 for Left, 2 for Right).

Do not send 2 separate signals to one speaker eg: do not hook up rear signal, and surround signal to same speaker. If going to 7.1, use another pair of rti4 for your 6 & 7th for Sonic matching.

Post Number: 6
I was thinking of the rti4's. Just wondering how much sound actually will come out of the 6th and 7th speakers. Would a bookshelf set of polks work also?

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 459

I only get sound of my 4th and 5th (rear) speakers only when the recording is true DTS 5.1 and that is rare at this point. I can't imagine those side speakers being of much value.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 337
You can run the fronts on A and B seperate power channels and put them to better use, I think.

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 7
Jeff. Any set of speakers will "work", but it is preferable to stay with one Brand of speakers with similiar Drivers, Tweeters, and Ohm / Wattage ratings.
What level, and quality of sound you get depends on the capability of the equipment. I run a 7 channel amp, and get great sound from all speakers, especially in NEO 6 modes, even from satelite.
While there aren't many true 7.1 DVD soundtracks out there as yet, there will be.

Post Number: 8
Thanks for all your suggestions. I am trying a pair of JBL EB10's and will see how they sound

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 462
Cmoore I have a high end Marantz receiver. I do get sound in the DTS modes, however the sound is just being split into those speakers. They weren't recorded for effect. In other words if your room is so big that your fron speakers are not filling it with sound then by all means go with the 7. However to me I like to hear different effects recorded specifically for rear and side channels and those are rare at this point. Otherwise splitting the sound is not much value to me.

Bronze Member

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 13
I run an ATI 8500.1, a whole new level.
Upload
Upload
The ATP8500 Audio Video Preamp Processor is a truly unique product. More than just a preamplifier, the ATP8500 is a complete control center. The ATP8500 allows the casual user or the most experienced custom installer the ability to customize even the most complex installations. ATI has successfully combined the purest sonic capabilities with the most advanced set of features/functions in the industry. ATI is the first to incorporate a 5-inch color monitor on the front panel to facilitate initial setup and future programming. This onboard monitor previews most video sources including menus from DSS systems. The ATP8500 also features balanced outputs and an AES/EBU Digital Input for devices such as DAT players.
The ATP 8500 decodes Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic and DVD
audio. The 8500.1 adds Dolby EX, Dolby PL II, DTS ES, DTS NEO6. Naturally, the ATP 8500 can also function as a high-end stereo preamplifier, and the digital signal processing and conversion can be bypassed. The 7.1 channel input is provided with comprehensive volume control facitlities. This ensures that the ATP 8500 will remain compatible with new multi-channel formats to appear in the future. Music Surround Modes include: Natural; Jazz Club; Stadium and Party.
And the AMP AT3007
ATI's "Pure Balance" technology introduces a range of models that feature true differential design; balanced from input to output. This design allows the quietest and purest reproduction of the audio signal. Power output is 300WRMS/ channel into 8 Ohms from 20Hz to 20kHz with no more than 0.03% THD and I.M. distortion. The AT3000 is available in 2 to 7 channel configurations and is upgradeable by adding 300W power modules. Each model comes standard with 2 massive toroidal transformers with quick connect plugs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us