Newbie Needs Help Matching Front Main Speakers w/ Mirage System

Username: Tobias

Post Number: 5
I could use help from someone who knows their audio stuff because I do not want to make a mistake. I am looking for a front left and right main speaker to match with my present system. I have all Mirage Omnipolar speakers: one Omni S-8 subwoofer (100 W continuous to 400W), two Omnisat Micro surrounds (100W each), and an Omni CC-1 Center Channel (150 W), powered by a Yamaha RX-V657 receiver (95W x7).

Can some of you audio enthusiasts recommend a speaker model that would match with the Mirage? I mean, I can purchase another Mirage but I wanted to mix it up a bit. So far, I am looking at these models, although I have no idea if they are compatible at all with Mirage:

Infinity Primus 250 or 360
Infinity Beta 20
Cerwin Vega CLSC-10 or V-5M bookshelf
Ascend Acoustics - HTM-200 or CBM-170
JBL Northridge E Series

Any comments about these models w/ Mirage? (The Ascend Acoustics and Cerwin Vega look great for the price, and Ascend Acoustics received a 5/5 review from users on this forum.)

Also, do I have enough power in my receiver to run the Infinity Primus 360 which handles up to 200 W? My receiver has 95W x 7. Does that mean that it can handle power up to 665W?? Sorry if that is a dumb question, but it only goes to prove how much of a newbie I am to all of this! THANKS!

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 317
Where do you want to go with the system?
What are your music interests?
How much ht or music do you listen to?
Do you like van halen or mozart?

Lots of advise to be had, but some more info will guide us, and you

Post Number: 6
OK thanks. Well, I like to watch movies and DVD's of action thrillers, war movies, historical epics, and sci-fi. I am a fan of classical music, opera, Frank Sinatra, ballads, Broadway musicals and country. I do not listen to rock or anything like that, except for the Beatles. On TV, I watch crime dramas, nature programs and Animal Planet. I am interested in clear, crisp, surround sound with great natural effects. Does that help?

Anonymous

Why do you want to mix it up? Do you not care for Mirage anymore?

Post Number: 7
I like the Mirage, but I don't know if their bookshelf speakers, e.g., Omni 50 or 60 can be used as front main speakers, since they are listed as surrounds. The speakers Mirage recommends as mains are way out of my price range right now, and frankly, are too powerful for the room. Is it really unwise to use different mains with Mirage?

Anonymous

It tends to be unwise to mix and match speakers. There are cases where it works, but it isn't always an easy task, and I don't know how easy it would be with Mirage's omni-polar designs.

"I like the Mirage, but I don't know if their bookshelf speakers, e.g., Omni 50 or 60 can be used as front main speakers, since they are listed as surrounds."

It would be worth a shot. Some consider a two way bookshelf to be the best center channel money can buy. Of course the Mirage speakers would be interesting...

Anonymous

Ehh I'm not reading that well...but yes, stick with Mirage if possible.

Anonymous

And yes, bookshelves make fine fronts.

Post Number: 8
Thanks. I'll look into it.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2902
Don,

Of those speakers you listed I'd choose the Ascend 170s, with the Beta 20s a distant second, and scratch the JBLs and CVs. The Ascends particularly excel with voices, especially their 340 center channel, and that's where your musical tastes would seem to point. Among the speakers you listed, they totally stand out in terms of bang for the buck.

With your viewing tastes, I'd put the savings into upgrading to a better sub---move up to a 10" or (if you have a big room) 12" sub from Hsuresearch.com or SVSsubwoofers.com these will easily demolish any local retail subs in the same price range and above.

Post Number: 9
So then you would disagree with Anonymous about the need to stay with all Mirage speakers? The room the system is in is not large - just 12x15 feet or so. Do you still think I need to upgrade the subwoofer to a 10 or 12? I just purchased it! Thanks. I am open to all suggestions. How about Energy speakers which are also made by Mirage?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2912
I'd timbre match the front 3 speakers for sure, and keep the Mirage surrounds unless you do a lot of multichannel SACD/DVD-A music or just have extra $$ to blow.

If you are happy with your sub then why not keep it, I just have a hard time imagining how an 8" retail sub can come anywhere close to a 10" Hsu or SVS. If you are still within the return period of your sub then I'd definitely return it.

I have not heard the Energy speakers myself but have heard many good things about them. The one time that I listened to some Mirage floorstanders I was very unimpressed.

Post Number: 10
How about the Yamaha YST-SW315 10" subwoofer (270W)? It has received great reviews. I presume it should be enough for my room size, and the price is incredible on eBay: brand new for $178.00 (retails for $300).

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 325
I might think the omni 60's as fronts, with nice stands.
A room that size doesn't need floor standers, for quality sake.Not knowing the onmi's, are they front ported? Even better for space, as tey can hug the walls.
Maybe try those, and assess the sub issue after that.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
OK thanks guys, You have all been very helpful. I think I'll go with the Omni 60's as fronts, and return or sell the subwoofer. Another subwoofer that I researched is the JBL E250P 12" w/ 250-500W power for just $219.99 shipped! Audioreview.com users gave it a 4.75 rating from 8 users. It is a front firing sub and I think it will be more than enough for my needs. I mean, at that price, you can't go wrong. Vann's is selling the same sub for $349.99!!! Yeah!

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 330
Let us know, Don!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
OK Nuck, but please don't go away too fast. I still need your expertise. What do you think of that JBL subwoofer for just $219.99? (It retails for $400 I think.) When audiophiles speak of a "seamless" match with subwoofer and speakers, what exactly does that mean? May I use JBL or another brand with Mirage fronts, surrounds and center channel?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2913
If you want to keep your budget down:

Hsu STF-2 b-stock, $350 shipped, hsuresearch.com
Dayton 12", $140 shipped, partsexpress.com

subs don't need to be the same make/model with your speakers, not in the least.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Point-Counterpoint: Velodyne DLS-3750R? or Velodyne DPS-12? (they retail everywhere for $450-550, but I found one for $299.00 shipped.)

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 351
The Omni 50 or Omni 60 will make nice mains. don't worry about it, provided you have an appropriately sized room.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Thanks. I'll go for the Omni 60, but what about the subwoofer? Velodyne is OK. Art Kyle recommended Outlaw instead, but everyone is going to have their own preferences and views. If Velodyne is good enough, then why keep fussing about another brand?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2917
Unless those Velodynes are being sold at maybe 50% of MSRP, I'd take the Hsu, SVS, or Outlaw subs over them any day. The Outlaw LFM-1 is basically a Hsu STF-3 just with a downward firing port rather than a back-firing one, they used to have them for $400 b-stock and I still kick myself for not buying one back then!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
The Velodyne DLS-3750R is half price at Vann's and about $50 more on another site. It has:
Amplifier Power: 375 Watts (Dynamic), 185 Watts (Continuous) and Extended Excursion Driver: 10" Forward Firing.

The Outlaw LFM-1 is out of my price range. Ditto for the Hsu and SVS. The Outlaw LFM-2 is within my budget, but it only has an 8" woofer and 150W, and that is what my present Mirage Omni S-8 has - and I can barely notice it working. Is the Dayton 12" really better than Velodyne for just $140? Thanks again.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2919
Huh? This link shows the 3750R going for $500 at Vann's:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/549388546?v_c=Google

and the DPS-12 at $550:
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/549127729?v_c=Google

so where are you finding these for $300 shipped? That's not bad, seeing as how the Hsu STF-2 is $350 shipped as b-stock but you do get the full Hsu warranty. Any warranty on this $300 Velo?

I personally prefer the down-firing design of the Hsu but that's because they're easier to position and also because I have a really big room and front-firing doesn't work too well unless I turn the sub to fire into a rear wall.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Well, yes I know about those prices at Vann's, but the 3750R in silver has sold for $250 but is out of stock. The BLACK sub sells for $500!!! I found the 3750R at ListenUp.com and Stereophile.com for $299.00. The DPS-12 was on eBay for $299, but was sold today.

In the meantime, I did a little more digging and found the Hsu STF-2 for $275.00 and the Hsu VTF-2 for $325. Both are slightly used but almost new. Which one would you recommend for me? Yes, both are easily within my price range. Thanks. But really, it is time for bed, don't you think. It is almost 1:30 in Connecticut and we can resume this discussion tomorrow. I'll check first thing in the morning to see what you have to say about the Hsu's. Good night!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2921
The STF-2 is basically a VTF-2 tuned at a fixed 25Hz. I'd get the VTF-2 if you need extra SPL during music, but for HT usage the two should be about the same.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Edstar,
What about this one? SVS PB10-ISD. It's $399 shipped from Svssubwoofers. How does it match up w/ the Hsu STF-2 or Hsu VTF-2? Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 2927
It goes 5Hz lower than the Hsu subs, though some people consider the Hsu to be superior for music (faster, tighter) and the SVS better for HT (lower, louder). Haven't heard the SVS myself, that's just what I glean from my audio forums addiction, LOL.

One thing to note is that unlike the Hsus, the PB10 does not have its own internal crossover and a few other details. Take a look at the back panel pics on both manufacturers' websites and you'll see.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
OK . Actually, the SVS is $470.00 shipped - more than I want to spend right now on a sub. So I made a decision. I bought a lightly used Hsu VTF-2 at audiogon.com for $325.00 and the seller is throwing in a superior 12" subwoofer cable as part of the deal. and it comes in the original box with all the manuals, etc. I think that this is fair, since the sub has only been used a few times and practically new. And Vann's will give me a full refund for the Mirage Omni S-8, so essentially, the Hsu is only costing me $125.00 + $25.00 for shipping. Thanks for all your help and advice, Edstar. Your experience and knowledge helped me to make this decision, one I can be confident about. I'll let you and the other guys know how it sounds when it's set up.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2930
You're very welcome...that's a very good deal, and I am certain the VTF-2 will knock your socks off! Be sure and post a detailed review when it comes in, please.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
And to put the cherry on the top, I just picked up a pair of brand new Mirage Omni 60's from Tweeters that was old stock for $80.00 shipped! That's right - a brand new pair of Omni 60's that sold for $600 retail for $38.00 each + shipping. I was outbid for a used pair on eBay when it went over $200, so this was a steal.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 357
Woo Hoo!

Silver Member
Username: Fps_dean

Williamstown, MA USA

Post Number: 123
Good buy Don, enjoy :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums