Do i need a sub?

Bronze Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 19
i am getting ready to buy a pair of martin logan clarity speakers, do i need a sub to go with them?. i am considering a velodyne mini vee.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 335
The MartinLogan subs are, IMHO, better than velodyne. They are tighter, and have much better transient response.

But, my advice to you is wait til you get them home before you decide to purchase a sub. You might find that their bass is satisfactory all on its own, like me.

Bronze Member
Username: Fps_dean

Williamstown, MA USA

Post Number: 92
The ML Claritys are full ranged speakers right? So you don't technically NEED a sub, the question is do you want a sub?

Bronze Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 20
"the question is do you want a sub?"
not necessarily. but i am putting a 43"plasma tv in this room and i do not immediatly plan to do full blown 5.1 system. i will use the ml's for front speakers when watching a dvd. but they are mainly for music.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 337
if they are mainly for music, they "SHOULD" give you enough bass. I auditioned them with all kinds of music, from Sade, Diana Krall, Sarah Brightman, Josh Groban, James Taylor, The Rippingtons, Spyro Gyra, Shirley Horn, Cher, Madonna, and Keiko Matsui.

As any of you Keiko Matsui fans know, her music is LOADED with VERY deep bass. While the Clarity didn't hit the really deep notes, they certainly put some vibrations in my chest.

I would try them without a sub first. If you find you need one, take a look at the ML line. Their least expensive is around $600, and from the reviews I have read, is outstanding.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us