Rega brio's

Username: Angello

Post Number: 3
Opinion wanted

Has anybody compare brio amp with nad's amp?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6446

Lots of magazines have. The two companies produce products with a different slant on how music is reproduced. If you like the ebb and flow and emotional content of music through the Rega products, you'll not like the NAD as much. If you prefer the "musicality" of the NAD products, you'll find the Rega somewhat restrained.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1000
The Rega Brio rocks. I should point out there have been several incarnations of the Brio. The original Brio was a very small amp only about 4 inches deep. It was a musically involving amp with a good phono stage, but a little restricted in terms of power. The Brio amps that followed were a lot better - and bigger, being full sized amplifiers. The later Brios have excellent performance for the money. If you are interested in vinyl replay, they also have a very good MM phono stage, better than in most other amplifiers and some standalone phono stages.

The Brio is one of the best amps Rega make - some people even prefer it to the more expensive Mira amp, although the latest Mira (released just in the last week or so) is meant to be substantially improved over the older ones.

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 7
thank you for reply. I should auditon them the c352 and brio. actually I don't have vinly to play only cdp. Can't wait to review both side by side.

regards.
angello

Post Number: 8
ok question for both:-).
Can be in generally said that brio is more detailed
and nad is more dynamic? OR brio is neutral and nad is warm?Just wonder if this may be one of ''isn't all in watts'' discussion? Also I can get c352 or brio for the same budget. I email rega for some interesting detail about their protetion which I notice in manual for brio, and if is capable to drive demanding speakers with 4ohm nominall.

here is rega's reply:
The latest BRIO on our website will run a 4 ohm load without problems.
The new brio also has short circuit protection but does not have any speaker protection.

Short circuit protection means that if the output of the brio is shorted it will stop the output devices blowing up. However prolonged periods of short circuit will damage the brio.

The brio also has a reactive component in the output circuit to help protect it against awkward loads. i.e very long speaker leads or a complex crossover.
---------------------------------------------

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1001
Personally, I prefer the Brio to the C352. What Rega have said above is very much what I've found in practice. In a direct head-to-head of Brio vs C352 it is rare for the Brio to lose. In terms of power, there seems to be nothign between the two amps too, even though the Brio is rated lower (38w against 80w!). True, if I put a very difficult load against the two amps then the NAD is likely to show better, but generally speaking this is unlikely to happen.

For example, the Dynaudio Audience 42 is a 4-ohm load, but the Brio copes with it well. I have used and sold that combination more than once. It's good. It's only when you go to something like an Audience 62 or above that things get difficult for the Brio and the 352 has a little more in reserve. I emphasise 'little'.

The 352 is a great amplifier but I prefer the presentation of the Brio. It has better dynamic contrast and improved timing over the 352. The 352 has a bit better power handling and remote control (the Brio is not remote controlled).

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 10
thank you frank. You really give some practicall advice on amps. You sold this stuff? have you got a store?? also can you advice me which speakers could in your opinion give satisfact result with brio? I found the dyn 42 are little to expecive for my budget... Everything below their price budget wiil be welcome for opinion. And I am looking speakers that is easy load... Have you anything expiriences with kef iq3? And I forget to ask you how many years in guarantee have brio ??

Any others opinion will be welcome.

Anonymous

Frank: Could you please tell us more about the new mira and when we might expect its arrival in the States?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
does this mean that new brio is coming up to???

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6462

Angello - I don't normally make product recommendations on the forum, but there is a speaker line that deserves your consideration if you live within an area where the speakers can be shipped for an audition.

http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/products.htm

Regarding the Rega and NAD amplifiers, you are very correct in not assessing the worth of the product by the size of the wattage numbers. (The relative difference in output power is not as large as the spec would indicate.) Not to denigrate the NAD product in the least but, in comparison to Rega, NAD is now a mass market product. They cater to a slightly different buyer than Rega; and Rega uses the difference to their advantage. I find the circuit design on the Rega to be more elegant and the power supply on both amplifiers is handled rather differently. The NAD does a terific job when asked to play loudly and maintain a musical tone quality. The Rega is not so much, I would say, for the person who values volume over dynamic capability. The power supply on the Rega products has typically been designed for the person who plays music at realistic levels and understands (or has someone to show them) how to put together a system that can meet their needs without abusing the amplifier with unusual speaker loads. The power supply in the Rega amplifiers will allow the music to get loud for dynamic peaks and then recover for the quiet moment that follows. The NAD is less capable of this subtlety in this area in my estimation. Most people would never notice the difference however. There are many people who will not "get" what the Rega designs are all about. For those people, the NAD or a Rotel will make an excellent choice. It comes down to what you expect an amplifier to do and that is something neither Frank nor I know about you when we suggest which amplifier is "better". That is fine if you have the ability to hear both products in an unbiased setting and choose for yourself which amplifier you prefer. For, in the long run, you are the person who has to be happy with your purchase. Frank and I know which unit we would pick, but that shouldn't influence your decision.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1004
Angello,

On Saturdays I work in a HiFi shop. I don't advertise it since I only try to put forward my experiences. Contributing to fora (I contribute to three or four) allows me to pass on some of what I have learned doing the job in my 'spare' time. During the week I am a software support person.

In the shop we do sell NAD, Rotel, Rega and Dynaudio (which I know you were interested in), as well as many other very nice brands! :-) This is why I could contribute sensibly to your thread.

As Jan says, the choice is yours to make. I have told you what I think, but most of my friends have different HiFi to me, so this is a very personal thing.

I have not heard of the Brio being uprated any time soon. However, it's reasonable for Rega to make changes to their lineup. I think the Mira has suffered because the Brio is so good and this is why it has been modified.

As to speakers, it's a shame that you can't afford the Dynaudio 42. It's a good combination with both amps but I accept that it's not cheap! Also, it depends what is in your area. The internet doesn't give me a magic crystal ball to tell me where you are and you haven't put your details in your profile. I am in the UK. I have had good results with both these amps with the following:

Focal JmLab Chorus 705S and 706S, 716S

B&W DM600 and DM601 (not a fan of the bigger models)

Acoustic Energy Aegis EVO3 (excellent value for a floorstander, if a little harsh in the treble)

AVI Neutron IV

I have played with the KEF iQ3, but not with these amps. I am not convinced about this speaker. Not really a fan.

Anon, we received our new version Mira last week. I haven't heard it yet. I know of a couple of the modifications they've made and I had heard the original modifications in prototype form - they bounced the amp's performance upwards, but I know they couldn't get in all the mods (one was a battery power supply for the preamp section which simply wasn't production-capable). If the new version is anything as good as that was, then the Mira will be well placed in the marketplace again.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 250
Now THIS is why we have this forum!
Keep the info coming, folks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
little angry Frank? I understand you that I must pick myself but I wanna get more info about this amps and people who will give me more objective opinion than magazines. I don't understand why is that ssuch a shame if I can't afford dyn42? I am a student and I don't have much... thanks for anwser anyway , I tried bw that you mentioned but I don't like them. by the way I am from Slovenia.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6467

Have you got access to any if the Italian Unico products?

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1162
the Epos M5 would make a very good match with the Brio,Epos is known for their outstanding timing they are voiced with Creek which majors on timing also.Rega,Naim,and Creek all share those abilities so it would be a good match,and like Frank said they have a outstanding phono stage.The Rega is for the person who is more serious about their listning sessions,the Nad is good amp,but its a budget amp and they sound the same from the 320bee on up,the Brio is more musical than all the Nad amps,its just a more refined amp.

nout
Unregistered guest
The Rega is for the person who is more serious about their listning sessions,the Nad is good amp,but its a budget amp and they sound the same from the 320bee on up,the Brio is more musical than all the Nad amps,its just a more refined amp.

I don't think I agree, NAD C352 sounds different than the C320 BEE. And what do you mean by "more serious about their listening sessions"?
It's a matter of taste really.

I can imagine people to be more sympathetic towards "smaller" companies, but it also seems to be taken as a fact that their products are superior to the ones of bigger companies like NAD and Marantz...not in my experience, my ears that is...I can't however judge the built quality inside...

nout
Unregistered guest
little angry Frank? I understand you that I must pick myself but I wanna get more info about this amps and people who will give me more objective opinion than magazines. I don't understand why is that ssuch a shame if I can't afford dyn42?

Angry? Where did you get that idea angello?

Frank didn't mean you have to be ashamed for not having the money to buy the Dynaudio's
As to speakers, it's a shame that you can't afford the Dynaudio 42.
He meant it's too bad...it would have been great if you had the money to buy them.
There's no shame in not having money to buy those speakers angello :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1168
The Epos M5 he may be able to afford,and at the same time in my opinion is a much better speaker than 42s.Your right it is a opinion,but the Brio is a better performer than 352 none the less at least in my opinion.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2158
"little angry Frank?"

Hmm, I didn't get that impression. I thought Frank was informative and friendly.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1170
I dont know where that came from either.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
The internet doesn't give me a magic crystal ball to tell me where you are and you haven't put your details in your profile.

Nothing serious guys. Frank is nice guy, and everybody know this. His opinion is welcome to this forum

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I really think that this is one really good discussion on this excellent forum.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1175
Yes Jan the Unico intergrated is and outstanding amp one of my favorite amps period bar none.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
REGA has no plans to update any of their amplifiers in the near future. I don't know where Frank got this information that new mira is coming up...
I emailed rega

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
yes the acoustic anaergy evo 3 are on my price list,
also at lower price than dyn 42 but I Really think that my room is too small for them. I have only cca. 3.5m * 3.7m. I am not concvince about their size for rellative small room like my

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1010
Angello,

I wasn't angry (still not angry). I'm not sure how you read my note and I'm sorry if you felt I was being aggressive. I did not mean to be.

"It's a shame" is a saying meaning "it's unfortunate" or "it's a pity". I must be more careful and try not to use this because many people whose first language is not English take it the wrong way. Sorry again! :-)

The information I have is that the Mira has just been upgraded. This is why we sold our demonstration unit. I will verify...

I do not know what the market is like in Slovenia. Perhaps we can help you if you tell us what is available in your area?

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Frank I apollogies If I understoond you wrong. Dyn, acoustic energy, epos, rega, kef, nad.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
So Frank do you agree with me that acoustic energy evo 3 is to big for my room?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1016
No the EVO3s aren't too big, but you may get a fair bit of bass from them. They will work better a bit away from the rear wall (around 50cm), but they'll still work if closer. Good speaker.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
they are on my price list. and I can get evo 3 cheaper than dynaduio 42. Can't wait to hear them...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
I decidet to not uprade my amp yet. I will rahter buy better speaker. Aelite two from acoustic nenergy are on my price list but I will wait to the new series linear and ae1 classic

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1048
angello,

In the UK, we tend to concentrate on electronics first since you cannot fix a broken signal, and the better the speakers, the more they show off how broken the signal is, since they show the signal faithfully. Better to build the system from the source to the speakers in my view.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 472
Good thread, folks. A bit dicey there in the middle, but I am searching a lot of prodcts I have never heard of.
(typical North American)

ererererer
Unregistered guest
I agree with thr British filosophy presented by Frank
I upgraded speakers first from Kef Q1 to BW 805 with the same amp Nad C320BEE and the system sounds worts now

I can hear a very flat and analytical sound

I need to improve electronics now

Regards
Eduardo

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1064
Oh yes indeed you do! I'm impressed that the C320BEE just sounds flat and analytical. I'd have thought it would sound really nasty, not because it is not a good amp, but because the B&Ws are really quite hard work to drive and completely ruthless about exposing the electronics in front of them.

You need very good electronics to make B&W 800 series speakers work properly.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Frank how uch has brio and c352 warranty?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1095
No idea, and this varies from country to country anyway.

Regards,
Frank.

Dennis T
Unregistered guest
Frank,

I read the British magazines prodigously and never buy a piece of equip based on a US magazine recommendation. As you said the British revere the source component as most important and they are correct. The greatest amp in the world cannot fix a terrible signal. Here is the US I believe that the amp and speakers are considered most important, I may be wrong but that is the impression I get.

Dennis

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1119
Things are changing Dennis. I believe there's a move toward more balanced approaches to system building. The days of the LP12/Nait2/Kan system are gone.

That said, we do still stick to source-first principles since garbage in always equals garbage out...

The US do love their muscle amps, it's true.

Regards,
Frank.

Sam Mosa
Unregistered guest
Hi, Frank.

I have a question re: loudspeaker cables to be used on the Brio. On page 5 of the PDF manual, it says:

"We recommend using good quality cable such as our own, or similar types made by QED or Naim. Very expensive cable claiming to use special materials and technologies along with "solid core" or OFC types are not recommended.

(italics mine)

Should one use ordinary speaker cables then? Do you know why Rega advises against using OFC cables?

Thanks in advance. Regards,
Sam

Sam Mosa
Unregistered guest
Sorry, Frank, if I'm asking too many questions but your exposure and experience with Brit amps is much valued as far as I'm concerned.

Does the Brio require careful matching with speakers?
Can you pair them with Paradigms?
Or are they better paired with "bright" speakers?

What about the Arcam A90 (which you replied to in a separate thread)? Is it picky with speakers, too?

Let me clarify the speaker choices I have in mind: I'm thinking of floorstanders from Paradigm or B&W, etc. etc. etc.

Thanks again,
Sam

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1127
Sam

Sorry about the wait - I've been having problems connecting to eCoustics lately. In response to your first post, Rega are big believers in value for money and they see many of the more expensive OFC offerings as big ripoffs. That's the main reason. After all, their own recommendations are OFC offerings to a greater or lesser extent. As to solid core, some solid core cables such as DNM Reson are highly capacitive and can cause the amplifier problems since the cable becomes an appreciable load itself.

It's interesting they specifically mention Naim cable since that would have been my suggestion. Rega's own cable is quite limited in terms of resolution which is why I don't recommend it. Naim cable is very reasonably priced and matches Rega amps extremely well but it is a pig to train neatly. Chord cable's presentation suits Rega too. The most inexpensive Chord cable is Carnival but it is also resolution limited. Carnival Silver Plus is cheaper than Naim and works well too, but it's an unusual offering because it's a right royal pain in the butt to make up, but it's a good choice.

As to your second post, all amplifiers require sympathetic matching to a greater or lesser extent. The Brio is the entry level amp and I would accord it similar care as anything in that price bracket (NAD C352 is similarly priced here). I have not tried Paradigms. I would definitely not pair regas with bright speakers, the more neutral the better. I have had success with B&W (a bit warm), Totem, Dynaudio, Naim, KEF.

The A90 is in another price bracket entirely here. At that money I'd be looking at a Naim Nait5i, Cyrus 8, and either a rega Mira or Rega Cursa Maia (they are on either side of the spectrum). Of that choice I'd choose the Naim, or possibly the Rega Cursa/Maia combo although that would be appreciably more money. That said, rega have just released the Apollo CD player which is an absolute cracker and blows the competition away at its price point, and announced the new Jupiter for early 2006. If I wanted to build 'a system', I might be tempted by the uniform look. Interconnects would be the Chords again since they match Rega's presentation very well while allowing the system to breathe more than Rega's own Klotz cable.

Regards,
Frank.

Sam Mosa
Unregistered guest
Frank,

Always a pleasure to read your posts. I have only one chance to take on upgrading my old setup. I'm leaning towards the NAD T162/C262 combo, at least as far as my budget goes. Thanks for the info on the British brands.

I read in one of your posts somewhere about your opinion on multi-channel / high-rez format being less musical than a good stereo setup. I tend to agree; mind, my opinion only. Of course, I wish I could afford a multi-ch gear separately to experience DVD-A and/or SACD myself.

Regards,
Sam

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
great discussion folks. Keep on movin...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
new brio3!
Frank, did you have chance to hear it?
link:
http://www.rega.co.uk/index2.htm

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1528
Angello,

Not yet - waiting for our demo unit! And now I am on holiday for 2 weeks so it will be a while.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
frank any new things about rega 3 now:-)??

Gold Member

Post Number: 4565
Angello, maybe look up Art Kyle in the forum here. He has a whole Rega kit and is absolutely in love with the synergy.
And he should know.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
thanks Nuck!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3655
I sent you an email Angello.

Bronze Member
Username: The13thgryphon

Spokane, WA USA

Post Number: 24
Frank and Art,

Would the two of you take a shot at describing the difference in sound quality, soundstaging, drive, and control of speakers between the Brio 3 and the Cursa 3 / Maia 3 combo?

Partly I'm trying to see if what I recall is accurate (or whether I'm deluding myself), and partly I'm trying to decide whether there is a significant enough difference to warrant the more than doubling in price. I well know the "deminishing returns" as one moves up the audio pecking order. I'm willing to pay the price if there is a decent return on the investement. If the difference is very minimal, then I'd prefer to save the money. Your insight would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone else with experience with these Rega amps is also welcome to chime in.

Thanks

Bronze Member

Spokane, WA USA

Post Number: 26
Sorry, misplaced the darn edit key... I don't know why I typed "Brio 3"... I was meaning the Mira 3.

Mira 3 vs. Cursa 3/Maia 3

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3687
And ofcourse I wrote a response to the Brio 3 before reading the last post...lol!

I really like my Mira 3 and believe that the law of diminishing returns really applies to the comparison you are making. If you have efficient speakers the Mira 3 is near the equal of the separates with the difference not IMHO being worth the money. The beauty of the Mira 3 is that you can add a power amp later and bi amp if you switch to less efficient speakers. That said Frank has much more experience with the comparison than I do and will defer to his knowledge on the matter. To sum it up the difference is the usual difference with more power and that is better control of the low end. Any other difference is so small as to not merit the extra expenditure for me.

Bronze Member

Spokane, WA USA

Post Number: 28
Thanks Art. Sorry about making you write two replies. I currently have Quad 21L speakers, which are not too difficult a load (6 ohm, 88 db, 35 Hz to 24 KHz response), but it would be nice to have the ability to move up to Totem's, or ProAc, or Joseph Audio, or something of that nature in a couple of years without worrying about whether the amp would handle the change or not. My other real concern is wheather the stand-alone pre would provide a cleaner, smoother, or more articulate sound... but from what you've said it appears that you don't believe that there is enough of a difference to cause you to lay down the additional cash.

I guess that's my dilemna. I believed that I did hear a slight difference in clarity and articulation, and a slightly "blacker" background, as well as better bass control... but enough to warrant the doubling in price?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3688
"I believed that I did hear a slight difference in clarity and articulation, and a slightly "blacker" background, as well as better bass control..."

Agreed, but only you can answer whether it's enough to warrant the additional outlay.

BTW I love those Quads...

Bronze Member

Spokane, WA USA

Post Number: 29
"BTW I love those Quads..."

Yeah, I'm loving them. And I know that they'll sound better and better when I get some quality electronics hooked up to them.

As for whether the Cursa/Maia would be worth the extra, you are absolutely right. I really am the only one who can decide that question for me. I'm just looking for what other knowledgeable people might do in the same circumstances. Thanks indeed for your input.

One positive outcome of selecting the Mira would be that the wife would be much happier. I suppose there's some value in that as well.

Bronze Member
Username: Sukhoi30

New Zealand

Post Number: 53
Fantastic Info on this Forum.
Thanks to every one

Bronze Member

New Zealand

Post Number: 54
Please advise Frank
I have been toying with the idea of a second small system for late night listening and the Rega Brio and Dyn 42 combo are popping up quite a few times
? Is it a good combination to listen at low or very low volumes? or will Dyn 52 or small Rega book shelves be a better match.
I normally go to sleep with music on so its set at a volume when i am just getting all the details at the lowest possible volume
(sounds crazy - i know).

Any advise appreciated from everyone.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1755
Hi there,

Sorry for the tardy replies, got a new job and can't spend much time contributing.

John, I think there is a significant difference between the Mira and the cursa/maia. That said, the cursa/maia does simply give more of the same. The main differences afforded by the pre/power are these in my view:

1. Better resolution.
2. Better grip.

The Mira sometimes has a disturbing ability to sound almost fragile, as if it can't quite hold onto the tune or the rhythm. The latest Mira is much better than the old one in this respect but it still suffers from this a little. The Cursa/Maia has much firmer grip and control which acts as a great base on which to structure music, especially when you get the extra resolution of the pre/power.

Of course, the downside to a pre/power is that you need an extra interconnect which also colours the sound dependant on the wire. It also adds extra cost. If you use a piece of string between the components there's simply no point and you'd be better off with the integrated.

Saurabh, I have sold the Brio/42 combination on several occasions. I think it's a pretty good combination but of course the 42s act as an open window and you really need a decent source to make it work. The Brio will drive the 42s in a reasonably sized room (our demo room is 22ft x 15ft) with relative ease provided you're not manic with the volume knob. That said, the Brio is not remote controlled so if you do need to change the volume, this could be a real pain in the butt if you're in bed...

I don't recommend trying the 52s with the Brio. Even a Mira would have difficulty there.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

New Zealand

Post Number: 59
Many Thanks Frank, planning to use NAD 542 for now and later upgrade.
And yes volume control is always a problem even with a remote on NAD 352 as well as Rotel 1062 - have to get up to fine tune the volume.

Any other recommendations for an amp combo for Dyn 42.

Thanks Again

Bronze Member

Spokane, WA USA

Post Number: 35
My thanks to you as well Frank. I value your opinions and insight.

I have an older Citation 22 amp that I could use for a bit to spread out the pain of the Cursa / Maia purchase. I've no doubt that it wouldn't be in the same class as the Maia, but it would allow me to pick up the Cursa and have music for a while until I could "reload" my wallet and get the Maia.

When listening to the Mira and Cursa/Maia I also listened to a Naim Nait 5i. That was really where I felt things started to really come together price wise. The Mira was obviously less expensive, but not as satisfying in the end... and I believe that the Cursa/Maia was just a touch better than the Naim... but also more expensive.

Sheesh! Tough decisions.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1760
Saurabh,

The problem is I'm not in New Zealand and your prices are very different to mine! One brand to check out would be Plinius. They may be too expensive, but they come from your neck of the woods and have a fine reputation for excellent pace rhythm and timing (PR&T) as do Rega and Naim so in the same boat.

John, the Naim has a slightly different presentation to the Rega. I get where you're coming from with your description and overall I think you're right. However, although both brands major on PR&T, the Rega's main strength is timing where the Naim's is rhythm. It's a subtle difference but to me this makes the Rega somewhat more unremitting and the Naim a touch more fluid. I think the Mira is excellent value for money (in the UK), but I'd be hard pushed to choose between the Naim and the Cursa/Maia even though the Naim is 75% of the cost. Where the Cursa/Maia wins in terms of resolution and grip (in a timing sense), the Naim is a little more fluid and cohesive. Another thing to bear in mind is that the Cursa/Maia needs a decent interconnect between the two components which the Naim doesn't need. Good interconnects don't come cheap, so the value for money of the Cursa/Maia is more of a problem since it's edging towards the price of the Naim 122x/150x pre/power which takes it to the cleaners in my view.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

New Zealand

Post Number: 65
Frank,

yes you are right :-), should have mentioned.
Plinius is nice and expensive here as well, however we are lucky to get most of the brands that we have in UK.
Would love to get a plinius one day.
have you heard the Dynaudio 25 special edition?? any comments
Sorry but knowing where you work part time ;) we all have too many questions for you.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1785
Heh, sorry about the wait Saurabh! Been on holiday.

Dynaudio Special 25s are very very demanding speakers. They're in the same class as my Totem Mani-2s in respect of their power demands. Add huge resolution and scale and you have a speaker that requires the very best of electronics to make it sing.

Yes, I have heard them. Sometimes they sound fabulous, sometimes less so. They are very finicky about positioning and room interaction, but with perseverence one can have a truly remarkable system with them on the end.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

New Zealand

Post Number: 72
Thanks Frank

Would love to own speakers with a 25 years gaurantee someday
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help