Speaker Placement question + AA Emma comments

Bronze Member
Username: Raj_p

Evanston, IL USA

Post Number: 11
I just got a pair of Tim's Emma speakers and because of my current living situation they must sit on a desk. Is there anything I can do to make the desk behave more like speaker stands or am I just doomed to slightly hindered performance?

I havent had too much chance to listen to these Emmas but MAN do they pack a punch. I had to check my sub switch 3 times (i kid you not). The highs are sharp and detailed, the lows hit you like a fist in the stomach and the mids seem to be just right. I'm not quite used to the diffuse sound the Planar tweeter puts out but its nice not needing to toe my speakers in so much, it seems that the off-axis response is quite nice.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 599
Tip toes?
It may also be the surface of the desk extending out in front of the speakers causing a very early reflection. Perhaps placing the speakers at the edge of the desk OR put something in front of the speakers to reduce the reflection (a blanket, piece of foam, etc.).
I should've pointed out to you that the speakers do not need to be toed in, but you figured that out yourself.

Bronze Member

Evanston, IL USA

Post Number: 12
While I'm not done analyzing these speakers, I can safely say that anyone looking to get real full range performance in a small package for a good price, look no further than the Emma.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 600
Thanks Raj!

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1145
They seem impressive Tim,I would deffinetly like to hear them.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 601
Thanks TW.
Raj got the only pair I had in stock. I've got my poor cabinet guy running in circles right now. Should have more soon.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1147
Are you gonna let a few of us do a review on them?Im sure your gonna have more buyers this round from your reviewers.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 215
Timmer, send emm my way when you know when.
Meantime check out my page, hope you laff!

greatwhitena.blogspot.com

Had a laff doing it and thanks to you and Jan have a full time laff. enjoy

Jamie

ps,,spread it around if you laff

Jamie

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6444

The Tweeter appears just in time for the Goldfinch season!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 604
Another tweeter.
http://www.timn8er.com/NWDIY04.htm

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2144
American or Lesser.

Bronze Member

Evanston, IL USA

Post Number: 16
Do Planars generally settle down in time?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 605
I'm not aware of a "break-in" period for planars. What you have is an extremely low mass suspended diaphram driven by rows of Neo magnets. There is no cone, spider or surround like a typical pistonic transducer. The planar "sound" can be a bit unexpected though, mostly due, IMO, to our being conditioned to expect the "sound" of dome tweeters.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6449

OK, then, from your picture, Tim, I need to know if the goldfinch on top of the speaker column is there for mass damping or have you trained it to fly into the port on low bass notes for a "more restricted terminus"?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6450

RP - What is the problem you're having with the tweeters? Too much information? Too fast? Un balanced? Planars do sound quite different than cone or dome type tweeters, however, most people have either an immediate love or hate for the design.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 606
The goldfinch is trained to fly about the room and sing at the appropriate time to increase the "ambience" of the recording.

Bronze Member

Evanston, IL USA

Post Number: 17
I am not having a problem with them I'm just really not used to it. Initially I thought they were going to cause me to be fatigued but I feel like that was just me being way too used to domes. I am just curious about Planars in general since I've never had a speaker with one before.

Bronze Member

Evanston, IL USA

Post Number: 18
For some reason be it me getting used to it or somehow the tweeter magically changing, it already sounds different to me than the first time I played these speaks (good thing).

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 607
I suppose it's possible there could be some changes as the unit is played. We are still talking about a suspended diaphram on material that is somewhat "stiff", albeit, low mass. These two components could, theroetically, "loosen up" along with changes occuring due to heating and cooling of the unit.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6452

I would undoubtedly attribute this change to an atmospheric pressure change and an alteration in the humidity inside the room. Being an "extremely low mass suspended diaphram driven by rows of Neo magnets" where "there is no cone, spider or surround like a typical pistonic transducer", the above referenced conditions are quite well recognized in their ability to influence such designs.

Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket!!!!

(Actually, I'm only partially kidding.)

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 608
I don't want to get going about how temp and humidity changes room acoustics either. Then, there's always the late night "bloom".
Stop now.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 233
'Late night bloom'
Kindly put.
And they LOOK better as the night progresses as well

Imagine that

Bronze Member

Evanston, IL USA

Post Number: 19
Oh my :-O

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 614
Well, yeah that was kinda fun but I was referring to what some audiophiles call "the magic hour". Occurring at some point in the very early hours, say between 1am and 3am, it is said that stereos sound better when played during this time. A great deal of speculation and of course scoffing has surrounded this claim. What is it? The ionosphere? The earth's magnetic field, humidity, temperature or cleaner power because there are fewer appliances tapped into the grid? Is it even real? Who knows?
It's all Jan's fault anyway.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6470

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An evil smile is seen somewhere in the ionosphere!

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 254
That's when my electrostat is timed to turn on, without all those annoying toaster ovens and curling irons going.
Or it's pinky and the brain trying to take over the world!

MBW OOO OOO HHHA

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6471

What're we gonna do tonight, Brain?

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 255
WooHoo new post an the greatwhite blog.
www.greatwhitena.blogspot.com