Need help yamaha or pioneer

yamaha or pioneer
Unregistered guest
I got a pioneer receiver today(vsxd515k) and a friend of mine is saying I should take it back for a the Yamaha htr-5830. Any help on this subject would be great.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2793
neither, take it back for this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009E1YPM

and this is why:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/160136.html

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=1251&page=1&p

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=530504

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=417894

Anonymous

I have to agree with the man from Abubala, ababala.

The panny is the best receiver out there for under $800 i mean it just smokes the competition without even tryin.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2116
Edster is right. Even though the Panasonic is the worst sounding receiver I've ever heard, at least it's cheap. Like Anonymous says "it just smokes".

Gold Member

Post Number: 2794
Again, this from a man who was totally disgusted by the SVS sub he bought---I don't believe he's making it up, just want to point out that Art's ears are typical of perhaps 5% of audio consumers.

Username: Zing

Post Number: 3
Get the Panasonic if you are nearly deaf. The sound is very digital and not of any quality. If you want a lot of cheap power and can't tell the difference between a good home theater and a bad one, then get the Panasonic. Otherwise go with Yamaha over Pioneer.

Anonymous

Hey don't take my word for it, buy either Pioneer or Yamaha and AB it against the Panny, you'll laugh your @ss off at how much better the Panny sounds too...a whole different league.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2797
Dammit anon, you beat me to it! : )

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2121
The Panny is a great receiver for inexperienced audio enthusiasts or folk who like alot of detail at expense of musicality. I like a good buy as much as the next guy but the Panny is a terrible piece of gear at any price.

If you listen to the Panny and like it (especially next to anything else but a Yorx system) then by all means....

Zing, I'm with ya.

Pioneer or Yamaha Help!!!
Unregistered guest
I think the Pioneer is going back. This receiver has no bass. My sub is all the way turned up on the sub and the receiver. Another things is in three months I am moving into a house, so I will have a good size living room. I am going to mess with the pioneer until saturday, if it still does not give me proper bass it is going back.

Has anyone had either of these receivers?
I would go Sony before I would buy Panny.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2126
HK AVR135 or AVR235. Yamaha's sound great with efficient speakers but don't have the power supply for inefficient ones. I have the Yamaha RX-657 with an external power amp and it sounds excellent...love the XM radio. Without an external power amp I would look at HK or Denon.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2799
> I would go Sony before I would buy Panny.

LOL! Sure I believe you would...unless you bought both a Sony and a Panny and ABed them. Or if you ABed the Panny against any anlaog receiver under oh, let's say $800. Just like the people in posts #53, 56, and 57 (owners of a Denon 5800, HK7000, HK7200, and Denon 3802) did here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...t=591368&page=3

If you're so sure the Panny is crap just because it's a Panny and costs so little, I invite you to have somebody blind test you on against any analog receiver of your choice.

Otherwise you're just flying blind on the wings of classic audiophool snobbery.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2801
oops, here's the same link as above that actually works:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=591368

Anonymous

give it up edster, dont you know your threatening the american way of life!

cmon man, where would our economy be without all these suckas peein their cash away just to feel proud of themselves?

gods bless the audiophools, and gods bless capitalism I say.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 721
" think the Pioneer is going back. This receiver has no bass. My sub is all the way turned up on the sub and the receiver. Another things is in three months I am moving into a house, so I will have a good size living room. I am going to mess with the pioneer until saturday, if it still does not give me proper bass it is going back."

Sounds like you don't have the crossovers set up properly. Start by setting surrounds and centre to small with the crossover at 80. If you have the option to set the sub to L/R/LFE do that, if not set your fronts to small with the crossover at 80 (You can always adjust it down to get more bass from your fronts.

If you are hooked up by analogs from a CD/DVD player into the direct ins of the receiver check the player to see if you can adjust the speaker sizes and crossovers to match that of the receiver's.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2130
"gods bless the audiophools, and gods bless capitalism I say."

God bless deaf idiots with money, Panasonic will be forever grateful.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2803
now now boys, play nice OK?

LOL!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2804
I tend to agree with Kano, lack of bass is usually the fault of bad settings and/or crappy speakers and subwoofer. The receiver and CD player can have an impact too but not nearly as much.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2133
I too believe Kano is on to it. Keep fussing with the settings and you should be fine.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 729
It could be placed wrong as well. Where in the room is it placed? Also, what type of room is it in now? The original poster said he/she's moving into a house in three months - is it in a bedroom, basement, dorm room, etc? Also, what kind of sub is it? It could be a poor quality sub or simply broken.

thanks for the help
Unregistered guest
Right now it is in a bedroom. In three months it will be in a good size living room with a open kitchen behind it. I messed with it again and it sounds pretty good now. It is the best receiver out there for 200 bucks. Heard the Yahama(in the same price range)at Fry's and was not as impresssed. The Yamaha was 5.1 will a bunch of decoders for dts and 6.1. What is a decoder?

Here is my setup right now

Piolk moinitor 30=surround
Pionner VSxd515K=receiver
Polk CS1=Center channel
Jvc sub from a HTIB from 1999(sounds ok, gets the job done)
front speakers=Cerwin Vega V Series

The sub and front speakers are going to get switched out one of these days. I am on a budget. I am trying to do it piece by piece vs getting another HTIB.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 720
If you are driving a passive subwoofer along with other speakers from an inexpensive receiver (or even fairly expensive receivers) you are almost assured of getting bad subwoofer performance, plus struggling performance on your other speakers.

You should always get a self-powered subwoofer or buy a separate amp for a passive subwoofer. Expecting <$500 receivers to drive subwoofers and 5 other speakers to the best of their capabilities is to expect a Vespa scooter to go 0-60 mph faster than a Harley.

You can get quality inexpensive self-powered subwoofers from Outlaw Audio, HSU, or SVS--and all online with 30 day return policies. Your bass problems are from what is likely a cheap subwoofer to hit a price point in a HTIB.

To make further improvements when you can afford it, get some nice 8 ohm speakers from various online companies such as Aperion, Ascend, Orb, Axiom, etc.

Certainly, a slightly more expensive receiver such as a Pioneer 1015, a Panny 55 or 70, and a few others in the 250-$400 range online would certainly help out your amplification situation, and some like the Pioneer 1015 have a fairly sophisticated acoutic speaker balancing system, particularly at the price range.

Actually, I might get the new receiver after the new subwoofer, to more accurately determine how good your speakers can sound in your set-up.

thank you
Unregistered guest
thank you very much. I have not done the part of the set up
where I say how how all the speakers are. This might also help.
Like i said I am on a tight budget.

neighbors already complaining
Unregistered guest
Well it doesnot matter cause I have to listen to it a low volumes thanks to the neighbors. What do you guys think of hk receivers?
After messing with it for while now the sub sounds great, but the rear speakers are not going as much as I would. Any suggestions???
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us