Sub/sat

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 162
This going to sound cheap, or stupid, or both.
I have 4 pioneer 4" car coak speakers, 100w max and 4 ohm.
I might try them as sats and add a sub for upstairs.
I need to build a suitable enclosure I have no idea about the size, and of a material light enough, but not to resonate at an audible frequency.
The 4ohm speakers are driven by H/K avr 55, which will be fine for light loads.

Any material preferences, or a link yo diy for something like this?

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 568
Do you have the model number of the drivers?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6324

Nuck - And you give me grief?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 569
Last October there was an entry in a local speaker building contest comprised of Pioneer coaxial car speakers. They had been massaged a bit but performed adequately for what they were.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 165
Thanks Tim. The units are TS-A1057, 20-100w, 4ohm.
Jan I only give you 'grief' when you are a tad snide. With 6330 posts, it can happen at times.
My sympathy if I offend, please extend the same towards others who may have been offended by yourself.
I always follow your posts and largely enjoy your input and wealth of knowledge.

Jamie

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 570
If we were doing things right we would measure the drivers Theil Small parameters but if I were to venture a guess I'd say try a small box about 6"x6"x5" (internal) with a 1" diamter vent about 3" long. This should get you low enough to roll in a sub around 100Hz. Plywood would be preferable as it's both light and stiff.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 166
Hey Tim thanks a bunch!
If I do try it this week I will use those dim's, and will let you know.

Cheers

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 571
You're welcome. Please do post your results here. I'm interested in knowing how it turns out.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 169
Tim, I have a sheet of 1/4" plywood on the way, should I baffle the interior at all? Insulation or foam, or styrofoam peanuts?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 575
You shouldn't need anything fancy. As a general rule it can be beneficial to apply a layer of open cell foam on the top, back and bottom of the cabinet. 1" thick should be fine. The critical things are making sure your seams don't leak and the port is the correct length and diameter. Also, try to get the port as far away from the driver as possible.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 170
The driver will be at the uppermost position, the port at lowermost. I may have to dig for open cell material, but I do have some closed cell here. And peanuts.
I was trying this week as I am home sick as a dog.
I am trying to get going on it, but the facilities and medication beckon with astounding regularity.

Are the Lings going to come to Canada?

I volunteer first dibs!

I can arrange shpping, and guarantee the $, if you need.

Jamie

ps..Jan, no response to my reasonable olive branch?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6348

I always have a problem accepting any apology that seems to have an underlying insinuation within the message. That would appear to be the manner the forum members use to make appologies however. If I have misinterpreted your statement, I can only fall back on that ol' bifurcation of "what is the written desire vs. what is the intent as read" on an internet forum.

"Snide" as an animus, just as with beauty or clarity as a design, reside within the intrepretation of the reader.

I plead not guilty to the charges and accept responsibility only for the conceit of being misread. In that I enjoy great company. No?

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 175
Being misread is a fait accompli in the message world.
Without the aid of clear interpretation or personal interaction, the message lies on the page as clearly as road kill.
Is the subject open to conjecture, or simply evidence of cold useable meat.
The subject lends itself to folly of greater minds than mine, and may live in perpetuity.

However, in this case, my offer was in good faith, meant as a compliment and continuing in its sincerity.

Lube the branch next time, will ya?
Ouch.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6352

Okey Dokey!

http://www.spaparts.com.au/prod879.htm

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 177