Definitive Technology Spkrs - What's the story?

Bronze Member
Username: Gas_wyoming

Cody, WY

Post Number: 32
I heard these speakers a while back and was relatively impressed with them. As I listened I couldn't pull myself out of the mode of thinking "these sound like my Polk system". I mentioned this to the salesman who told me that the company is an off-shoot of Polk...he said they were founded by a disenfranchised Polk engineer/designer. True?

What do you guys think of these speakers? I was impressed, but my system is aging, so I'm "in the market". Thoughts?

Bronze Member
Username: Gas_wyoming

Cody, WY

Post Number: 34
I thought you guys would have SOMETHING to say about Def Tech's...but I guess there are no opinions? Now I'm left with thinking these speakers are crap or you secretly dream of these but don't want your wives to know. Which is it?

I'm considering buying a set of 7001's. Opinions?

Isn't a week+ long enough to get a response out of you guys? If I didn't value SOME of the opinions on this site, I certainly wouldn't waste my time reading these threads. I'd just go with the reviews that are available and buy. But I think most of the reviewers whose articles get published are paid to write what they say, or their negative opinions don't get published. However, negative reviews are extremely rare.

Is that enough to get a rise out of you guys?

gas

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4110
Probably because no body could deny nor confirm the wise sales rep that told you the story about Def Techs and the disenfranchised Polk engineer.

But if you like the Def Techs, then go for it. I like them myself but others think they are too bright and some say they do not have enough detail. Again differing opinions, your ears are all that count, after all, you will be the one listening to them.

Bronze Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 87
I HATE them.....they sound boxy and for some reason they just to sound very natural when used with a denon receiver.

I would rather buy Yamaha speakers over def tech.

Maybe I just havent heard them set up right, or with the right equipment?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6079

What the salesperson told you is partially true. The founder of Definitve was a co-founder of Polk. They use many of the same ideas and have a similar sound. They are an OK mid priced speaker. You can do better but you could do much worse.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1100
What difinitive gives you for the price they really are a bargain.Are they high end no but, for double duties with music and espeacially H/T they make fine value.

Terry54321
Unregistered guest
After years of searching for the ideal speakers over a year ago, I bought the Definitive BP7001 main speakers, CLR 2500 center and BPX rear speakers. The BP7001 mainspeakers are the best sounding speakers over all that I have ever heard in a home. The bipolar design really works to give room filling openess to the sound that even much more expensive speakers do not have. The integrated subwoofer blends beautifully to give the best bass for music that I have heard from any subwoofer. Generally I had found that with other systems it was better to turn off the separate subwoofer when playing music and save the subwoofer for movie effects. This is not the case with the BP7001 speakers, which give all the perfectly blended deep base you could ever want for music.

When I first listened to the BP7001s in a showroom where they were not set up properly. I was not impressed. Then, I happened to listen to them again where a salesman trainer was present, who noted that the speakers were not set up properly. After he made adjustments they sounded great. I also found at my home these speakers took some time to set up properly. I found they needed a month of very frequent playing at high volume to break them in. I would let them play all day while I was gone to work to speed up the break in. They initially sounded harsh right out of the box, but after they broke in they became very smooth and easy on the ears. You will need a big room for these speakers. My room is only 13 feet deep and I would consider that to be the minimum. I have to turn the speakers in and tilt them slightly forward because of the short distance to my listening position. The speakers need to be at least 14 inches from the wall to get the effect of the rear firing speakers. You will not need to turn the base up on these speakers for modern music recordings but the subwoofer has a separate volume control on the back of the speakers, which makes quick adjustments easy for movies where you might want to exaggerate the subwoofer sound effects. I think the reason some of the others on this forum were not impressed with these speakers in a show room was because they need a long break in and have to be setup properly. If you listen to BP7001 speakers at a typical small showroom make sure the speakers are turned in rather than just pointing straight ahead and they are pulled away from the wall preferably 18 inches.

I use a Bob Carver Sunfire Ultimate Receiver which I can also highly recommend and a Denon DVD-2900 and Denon DCM-280.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us