Bose or Cambridge Soundworks????

Bronze Member
Username: Eieiei0101x

Post Number: 58
I bouugth a recever Onkyo TH8211 50 Watts to use with my Ipod during parties with friends at thelivig. Not really looking for HI FI sund, rather a little noise while partying.

Still to chose speakers on sateilte mode.

At 200 USD wat would you choose?
Bose Acoustimass 3 or Cambridge Ensable 106?

WHY????

Thanks a lot

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2155
CSW.

becuz: http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

or better yet, buy some Athenas at audioadvisor.com these are very decent and right now, very cheap.

Gold Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 1137
Neither of the above. Try to audition the Athenas before you buy. Some consider their sound on the light weight side. Of course, your budget limits your choices.

The MOFO has spoken.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
What models would you recomend from Athena

Remember for Onkyo 50 Watt with Ipod and small size

Renage $200 to $300 at the mmost

Thanks a lot

Silver Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 419
CSW. Look at the Model Six (150 new, 105 B-Stock)also if it isn't too big. Paired with one of their 10" subs off ebay for $150 or a 12" for $180, you would have a pretty sweet system.

Silver Member

Post Number: 420
PS: CSW's store on Ebay has great pricing on their products, and they come with a full warranty.

Wiley is Stupid
Unregistered guest
Wiley is a ...b a s t a r d! :-)

Eduardo,
I know the guys here are going to crucify me for saying this but how about some bookshelves? Try some BOSE, yes guys, I said BOSE, the 301'S... If sound quality is not an issue and if you have a tight budget this will be ok for casual listening especially if you can find them used, I certainly would not pay $300.00 for them but you could probably find some on e-bay for around $100.00
Saying that let me say this, do not ever, I mean ever, pay full price for any BOSE speaker they certainly are not worth hundreds of dollars.

Sorry guys, I said the forbidden word. God help me

Gold Member

Post Number: 2165
eduardo,

You're never gonna get mind-blowing sound out of an iPod and that Onkyo 8211 anyways so here's what I'd do:

Athena AS-B1 bookshelves, $100 from audioadvisor.com

Dayton 12" powered subwoofer, $142 shipped from partsexpress.com

The Athenas by themselves should be okay, or if you want to you can get the B2s for $250 from the same place. That Dayton would provide more of a bass presence though no great finesse of course, especially if properly positioned in a corner. It can be much improved with a $99 Behringer Feedback Destroyer EQ also from partsexpress.com

The bigger Athena floorstanders have been characterized as "bright" by some, but when combined with a dark receiver like the Onkyo the bookshelves should be fine.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 571
Eduardo - Don't give any consideration to what Dale says. He thinks he knows more that a world renowned electrical engineer who has designed some of the best home audio equipment there ever was.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
I tried the 50 watts today pluse cambridge ensable 1 and ipod, at 1PM volume and volume was weak

Does that mean i will need a 100 Watt amp?

Silver Member

Post Number: 421
So long as the receiver can drive the speakers to the volume level you want without distortion, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If you want more volume though, it would be adviseable to get more efficient speakers as opposed to a more powerful amplifier.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2172
eduardo,

Onkyo has a history of inflating its receivers' RMS particular its low end models, as does Sony, Yamaha, JVC, etc.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Hollow/3401/ratevsac.htm?20055

I don't know how much you paid for the Onkyo, but if you are willing to pay just a bit more for the Panasonic sa-xr55 pure digital receiver ($230 shipped from Amazon.com and $250 at Circuit City), I can guarantee that you will not be complaining about lack of power! (See the thread on it in the Receivers section.)

The only downside is that with the Athena speakers you may have to decrease the treble setting to avoid an overly bright sound. This ordinarily screws up the soundstage but with the Panny it's not quite as bad as most receivers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 422
Actually the Panny sounds like it would be perfect with the Model Six...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2176
DA, I was going to ask you about those, because I was reading the blurb on the CSW site about it which said it was similar to the old Advent speakers. I used to own a pair of Advent Baby IIs in college, quite enjoyed them as I remember but don't remember if I'd describe them as "warm" or "bright." About $180/pair back in those days.

What struck me was how the website describes it:

"This is the way to go for crisp, bright bookshelf-speaker sound."

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=spk_bookshelf

Silver Member

Post Number: 423
I definately wouldn't call the Model Six a bright speaker. "Laid back" is the term I've heard used most with them, and I think it describes them well enough. They are very easy to listen to for long periods of time without any fatigue, at least for me. The single drawback to it is that you do lose some ultimate detail to more expensive speakers. Whether it is noticable in anything other than intense critical listening is another story though.

Tonally speaking, I would say they are fairly neutral. Bass is solid for a bookshelf, and as a result, I do tend to listen to a lot of music without a sub. Highs are there, but perhaps a little rolled off compared with other speakers. Mids are solid, which is of course the heart of the music.

I've enjoyed the music coming from them for three years without any real complaints, especially when I factor in the fact that I paid $120 for them. All in all, I would say its tough to beat the Model Six for $150, and even harder at the B-stock price of $105.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2178
Reading more on it:

"1 3/4-inch cone tweeter with a center dome and an 8-inch woofer"

WHOA, does this mean it has ONE 3/4" tweet or it has a 1.75" tweet?

Silver Member

Post Number: 424
It's a 1.75" cone tweeter, which is responsible for some of its character, eg its directionality and subtle roll off of the treble.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2182
Geez, now you've got me really curious...

If I still have a roof over my head a week from now I might just order a pair of these things for my bedroom system then.

Silver Member

Post Number: 425
For some reason I think it would be a better match with the Panny, although the NAD would be interesting. Either way, it would be interesting for me to hear how it compares to Ascend and the like, although I would expect the Ascend to wipe the floor with them given their price and reputation.

Good luck Eddie. My thoughts and prayers will be with you as I'm sure will those of most of this forum's people.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2184
I'm hoping it'd fall somewhere close to the Lings' appealing warmth, but with more detail though not as much as the Ascends'.

Thanks for your thoughts, it looks like where I am we'll mostly be getting 75mph winds at this point...

Silver Member

Post Number: 426
Well thats a bit of good news at least.

As for the Model Six, you seem to be the forum guinea pig. I suppose it would be fitting enough for you to try them. CSW has a pretty good return policy at least. Just use one of the online coupons from google to get an extra 10-15% or so to cover the return shipping, or get 10-15% off.

Its kind of funny though. I'm sure someone out there would be disappointed to hear you downgrading your equipment so much though; first the Panasonic and now CSW speakers!

Anonymous

CSW = awful sound. Period. Clever marketing, though: They use the corpse of Henry Kloss the way the Soviets used that of Lenin.

CSWs I've owned are harsh, fatiguing, and flat-sounding.

Silver Member

Post Number: 428
Different strokes for different folks, Anon. Fortunately they have a fairly liberal return policy if you don't like their sound.

Out of curiousity have you heard the Model Six (which was btw designed by Henry Kloss)?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2186
Well I was pretty set on getting the Lings for the bedroom, now with this hurricane and the inevitable financial impact of it, may have to hold off on all audio upgrades for a while other than the 2 pairs of Infinity speakers I'll be putting into my car.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us