S.O.S. with my Paradigm Subwoofer (Please)

Username: Requiem

Kelowna, BC Canada

Post Number: 1
I'm trying to hook-up a Paradigm SB-120 subwoofer (passive) to an old Sony STRD-790 receiver.

First, I realize that there is a brief thread about this very topic, but I still can't make head or tail about it. Will some kind, patient person please help me with this?

Second, both the receiver and the subwoofer were given to me and I don't have manuals for either.

Third, there is no subwoofer output on the receiver.

Fourth, I'm wondering if I have to have the satellite and main speakers plug directly into the subwoofer and then the subwoofer directly into the receiver.

Any help at all would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

PS I'm thinking about getting a pair of Energy e:XL 25s--any additional thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5742

A passive sub runs off the speaker level outputs of an amplifier. Try running the receiver's speaker outputs to the sub.

If the sub has speaker level inputs and outputs, it was probably intended to run with the satellites hooked through the sub. You can try running the satellites full range, but you risk damage when using this hook up.

Username: Requiem

Kelowna, BC Canada

Post Number: 2
Thanks very much for replying, Jan.

You're right, it looks as though the sub is intended to have the sats run off it. The back of the sub says something to that effect (there's a modest diagram). I've plugged them in that way.

The sub also has two other slots and says that these should run from the amplifier to them. I don't have an amp, so I'll substitute receiver for amp here.

So, if I'm running cable from the receiver--where does this come from? Am I supposed to run cable from the main speakers to the sub? Or am I supposed to run different cable to ???

Sorry for being such an idiot about this.

Thanks again for your help; I sure appreciate it.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5755

If the receiver has no "sub out" or "LFE out", you run the speaker cables from the speaker connections to the sub and from the sub to the satellites.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us