Receiver Question for NYC Apt...

Username: Stone2662

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1
Thanks in advance for all your tips. I have a new Pioneer Elite HD Plasma, and I'm searching for a good av receiver - usage will probably be 70/30 music to video. We're in an decent sized apt in NYC, so we don't need massive power, but I don't want to skimp too much. In fact, I'm pretty much set on the Monitor Radius surround speakers (the 90's, 108 center and 360 subwoof).

I've gotten a wide variety of glib recommendations from the high-end audio stores: Marantz 7500; Arcam 250, Integra 5.5. I was told by one that I didn't need to spend the $$ on the Marantz 7500 as it would be "too much" for the speakers and space. Do the Monitor speakers require less power due to their size? Our budget is around $1000 plus or minus. Interestingly enough, I haven't heard any recs from these salesmen about HK, Denon, Pioneer, etc. ALso - what abotu the new Outlaw 1070 receiver - which I believe is only 65 amps/channel?

I really want a system that is primo for music..any suggestions? Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 370
My suggestion would be to check out the new all digital amplifier from Panasonic. Our own Edster922 has written a pretty good review of it here, and compares it with his Marantz 5400 and his NAD seperates equipment. In the end it seems as though he will be selling his Marantz...which you could also pick up for cheap probably!

Anoni
Unregistered guest
How ironic,

The man mentions Marantz, Arcam, Integra etc and now turns out that a cheapie Panny is the first recommendation.

What the world has come down to !

I would really like to compare the Panny against my two monoblocks....mmmm $15.00 for freight...maybe. Still, no way the little guy can beat the power I am getting now...just no way.

Maybe for decent bookshelf speakers the Panny is ok but for big power hungry floorstanders ...I just can't see how....

oh, back to the original question,
I'll say another option would be the Pioneer Elite VSX 54....

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2388
With a budget of $1000, I would recommend receivers in this order.

1.Yammi2500
2.Denon3803
3.PioneerElite54
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us