Upgrading my receiver

Username: Jnrowens

Post Number: 1
Looking for a replacement for my Yamaha RX-V2095. My speakers are all Def Tech, 4 DR-7s, a CLR-1000 center, Powerfield 1500 Sub and 2 BP-2s. Speakers still sound pretty good. May need to replace the sub before too long. We use Cox for cable w/ Explorer 8300 w/ HDMI out.
I would like to be able to access my music from the computer. Most important though would be sourround sound for movies and component video switching and possibly up-conversion to avoid 3 different tv settings. I would prefer to spend under $1,200.00. I was considering the Onkyo TX-NR901 but am beginning to wonder if it would be my best choice. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

anonymousII
Unregistered guest
John,
I used to have the Def Tech DR-7 [gave them to my sister] and they are still the best $500 bookshelf I have ever heard. Truely great. One thing I would say first is that the DR-7 has a different sound than typically thought of when thinking about Def Tech. It seems most people think of Def Tech's as being a bit on the bright side. The DR-7 is not a bright speaker at all.
When I had mine the last receiver I used was a Denon 2802 and it was[still is] a very nice combo. The Denon 2805 and 3805[soon to be replaced by the 3806] might be good choices. I would also look at the Yamaha 2500 and the new 2600 when it comes out. The Marantz 8500 is another very good receiver. None of these will give you the ability to access your computer though. If you are looking at the Onkyo 901 you might as well look at the 801. It can do most anything the 901 can and can be had for under $700 at a few mail order places. I had a Onkyo 525 prologic receiver for a while when I had my DR-7 system and always liked the way it sounded. Why do you think you may need to replace your sub? Unless there is a problem with it that would be the last thing you should need to replace. Def Tech subs are among the best and I still use my PF12 and will never replace it until it dies.

mojo86
Unregistered guest
Anonymousll, what do you think of the Onkyo TX-SR702?

anonymousII
Unregistered guest
I have not heard it. The only Onkyo dealer in my area is Circuit City and they have no clue how to display their stuff and there is usually no sales people around when I go in there, which is hardly ever. It and it's predesssor the 701 have gotten fairly good reviews in the audio press so it might be worth checking out. Onkyo's are not bad but there is alot of competition in the under $1000 price range. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

mojo86
Unregistered guest
Anonymousll, thank you for your input. I'm about to head out to check out some receivers in the area. CC and BB and maybe tweeter. I''ll order Infinity's Primus speakers for it.

Post Number: 2
Anonymusll,
The reason I was considering the Onkyo 901 was the component video switching and I believe up conversion. My wife is really getting tired of all the changes necessary to watch tv.

Post Number: 3
Anonymousll,
The reason I am considering replacing the sub is it has started to make some disturbing cracking noises at volume. I haven't had the chance to pull it out and check the speaker surrounds to see if they are coming loose. I had this problem with two of the DR-7s a few years back and had to replace a couple speakers.

Unregistered guest
Hi Im thinking of getting the onkyo 801.Im really impressed with the fact that you can connect your pc to it and play mp3's etc.no other reciever out there does that for the price range. I've never owned an onkyo before,Im a carver ,mcintosh amp and altec vott speaker guy.Im keeping my mac the altecs,but Im selling the carver so I can get the 801 for my HT. do you think it would complement the mac and the altecs? thanks.charlie.

Post Number: 4
jazzpr1,
I looked at the Onkyo 801 and 901 for the same reason. Even came very close to buying the 901. Problem a number of owners have posted is that the interface with your computer is a pain to set-up and use. You might want to wait just a little longer as there are a number of very interesting new receivers just about to hit the market for Christmas. Pioneer has already come out with the vsx-74txvi, a 7.1 channel, 140 watt x 7 receiver, which has usb input for pc audio as well as xm satellite radio, hdmi up conversion and switching for a little over $1,000 on the net.
I also just saw an add for a new JVC receiver rx-d704b, another 7.1 channel, 150 watt x 7 receiver, with wireless network connection to usb for streaming pc audio, Faroudja up-conversion, hdmi switching and a list price of $800. I haven't seen any specs on this yet but if the quality is there this could be one incredible receiver.

Post Number: 5
Correction on the JVC receiver the model number is RX-D702B.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2616
Definitely try the JVC 702 over anything made by Onkyo. Reason is, the 702 is all-digital, it MIGHT be really good for the money---see the buzz about the all-digital Panasonic sa-xr55:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/160136.html

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=1251&page=1&p p=10

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=530504

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=417894

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 962
Buzz created, amplified and extended by Edster922...

I appreciate your enthusiasm for the XR55, and I don't doubt you're bowled over by the results you're getting. However, even if you were correct (which I'm not disputing since I haven't heard the XR55 yet), you can't say that one good implementation guarantees that all other class D based amplifiers will be good implementations.

After all, think of how many dodgy implementations there are of ordinary technology which has been around for an awful lot longer than these switching amplifiers. I have heard a few class D amps and there have been both good and not so good implementations in my opinion.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2617
You're right Frank, and in fact I've read a number of unfavorable reviews of the lower end JVC digitals, the 202 and 302.

That's why I wrote "might" in all CAPS.

My first rec would still be the xr55 but the OP seems to be after a lot more bells and whistles rather than simple SQ alone.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 373
John I briefly considered an AVR with IP capabilities as well, but one thing held me back: Do you really want to boot your computer and wait all that time just to listen to some music in MP3 format?

Post Number: 6
Stof,
I have almost my entire CD collection on my computer on a 2nd 160GB hard drive in windows media 9 format at the highest possible resolution. It actually sounds pretty good considering I have been using the Klipsch 2.1 speaker system. My computer is always on with a wireless network tying in two or three other computers. The Pioneer vsx-74txvi comes with windows media 9 onboard which I liked. For some reason I have not seen much discussion of that unit on this forum. I am hoping the JVC would also be compatible with that system especially considering it is already wireless.

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 447
hated my NAD 2 channel

liked my Onkyo 5.1 better for 2 channel imaging and treble detail,

LOVE my Panasonic SA-XR55 for top to bottom speed and detail. it also does a super job of turning 2 channels into 4 channel surround sound with several tweakable parameters.

i'm definately in the camp that considers class-d to be the affordable butt kicking amp technology. aside from JVCrap, sony and harmon kardon have class-d recievers out now and if you don't think class-d is worthy of consideration, then read some reviews for the THIRTY DOLLAR sonic impact class-t amp then.

i've never heard more detail, dynamics, speead and less grain in my system than when i ditched A/B and tried D.

i wasn't even looking at it as an upgrade. it was a necessary stepping stone to get 4 ohm planars that i no longer want do to the top to bottom improvements.

as much as my system is improved now, i'd gamble on a $150 class-d JVC before i ever would a $300 old school A/B any day.

read some reviews for amps by flying mole, nuforce, bel canto or halcro which has been called "the best amplifier in the world" more than once and which so happens to be class-d too.

there IS something to it according to my ears.

Unregistered guest
Hi John and thank you for your response,will look into the pioneer and the jvc before I decide on the onkyo,thanks again.

Silver Member

Post Number: 495
my panny spanks my onkyo like a stepchild at a family reunuion in every way.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 340
If you have $1200 to spend you can get into an HK AVR 7300 (About $1250-J&R)or DPR 2005,(about $899-same) which no other receiver for this amount of money will offer better amplification with a robust,capapable of difficult speaker loads, but exceptionally quiet power supply with good build quality. To be fair, the Denons like the 3806 are very good as well,also the Yamaha 2600's are decent but they(Yammie) are probably a little over budget at $1500. I have heard the NAD's and they are also a high quality build with a very good transparent sound,with the right speakers of course. Unfortunately, however, they seem to have many quality issues lately so I would not reccomend them over the others mentioned previously. As far as video switching goes this is ,as I have said before, is best done through the tv or display, which keeps the signal path as short and pure as possible without subjecting the signal to other sources of noise and interference, and if your tv won't accomodate all your video sources buy an AV switcher.

Silver Member

Post Number: 498
i believe the rumors i read of people selling their $1200 denons after trying panasonics.

it's too bad that they pretty much only have word of mouth to recommend them.

it would sadden me to see someone spend too much money on something that might not sound as good.

don't let the name panasonic bias you from giving them consideration. class-d amps kick major butt in every price point from the $30 sonic impacts all the way up to $20,000 halcros.

listen to them before you dismiss them. i bought mine not so much for the underground raves, but because i needed something affordable that could handle four ohms, but was blown away by how dramatic the improvements to my sound were in EVERY category.

oh well.

Unregistered guest
hi john Im concidering the marantz sr7500 vs the onkyo 801,heard it the other day thru some paradigm monitor nine's and was blown away by the clarity of both the receiver and the speakers.like I stated earlier in my previous post, I have always been a seperates kind of guy.I always liked marantz back in my younger years but never owned one and the only reason I was concidering onkyo was because of the stature the company is getting lately and the netunes capabilities.IF IT WAS YOU WICH WOULD YOU GET.Thanks again and I really enjoy this opportunity to share my comments as well to receive them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2778
I'd take the Marantz over the Onkyo any day, much more musical. Onkyo does have great ease of use, and is adequate for HT but then again very few receives are not adequate for HT.

Unregistered guest
thanks for the advice edster922,the more I think about it the more Im leaning towards the marantz,it not only sounded great but it looks awesome and it would look elegant by my macintosh. Im running a pair of altec voice of the theaters on my mac and was thinking of either paradigms monitor nine's or infinity beta 50'for the marantz.heard paradigms but not the betas,any comments on that,thank you.

Post Number: 7
jazzpr1,
I'm still leaning toward the Pioneer or the JVC. Though the new Yamaha rx-v2600 looks very interesting as well. I did have a Marantz receiver many years ago and loved it. The only reason I have not considered Marantz lately is because I wanted the HDMI switching and up conversion as well as the ability to connect to my computer. The JVC has all that at a very good price, I just have not been able to locate one locally the give it a listen. If you don't care about those specific features I think you would be very happy with the quality of the Marantz, especially for the price.

Unregistered guest
just bought the marantz sr7500 guys, waiting for it's arrival next week will post more when I get it hooked up and break it in.

Username: Netsurfer

Post Number: 7
During September of this year, in the process of seeking an economical replacement for my Parasound separates system's 5.1 Preamp and Processor, I looked at using a receiver as an alternative replacement for these. I don't upgrade as often as I did as a younger and more impulsive audiophile, so I wanted to be sure in my choices. I auditioned at home the Yamaha RX V2500, Onkyo 901, Denon 3805 and the comparable Pioneer Elite, HK and Sony receivers connected both as a stand alone receiver and as pre/pro for the Parasound Power Amplifier.

I've always had a prejudice for Denon, and somewhat against Yamaha. I currently own Pioneer, Sony and HK receivers. I use the HK as a bedroom system here and the Sony and Pioneer are used at vacation residences. All the receivers I compared were new and current models, all were 7.1 systems.

I learned two surprising things during this AB comparison.

1. What a prolonged and painful thing it is to connect and disconnect so many receivers.

2. To my amazement The Yamaha RX V2500 had the easiest and most effective setup, gave the cleanest sound and best sound stage as a pre/pro and blew away my prejudice with just as gutsy a power amp section as the Denon, which was in this area superior to all the remaining others except the Yamaha.

The down side for some is the 2500 doesn't have HDMI which was not important to me, but may be to some. The new 2600 will have it, and the 4600 has it now, but at a price, all be it within your stated $1200 dollar budget.

To the upside there is no listenable difference between the 2500 and 4600 when AB'd locally and the Yamaha dealer said himself that the 2500 was the best value unless HDMI is a must.

I purchased the 2500 for $629.00 and am almost daily surprised by its control, its sonic performance and its sound field functions. I am very happy with it.

I read a Yamaha receiver review prior to my upgrade, that paraphrased, said, Yamaha has been on a mission the last few years and be sure the competition is taking note. I am surprised to find I wholly agree...

I hope you find this helpful, and happy listening during the holidays ahead.

Post Number: 8
Mitch,
Thanks for all the information. It's not often you find someone who has actually heard all these units side by side. That must have been a lot of work to setup.
I have been very happy with my current, though outdated, Yamaha receiver and look forward to seeing the new rx-v2600. It seems to have most of what I am looking for with the exception of a connection to the computer.
The other new receiver that looks very interesting is the Denon avr-4306. It lists for $1,999 though, so even discounted it will probably be a bit outside what I was intending to spend. I will have some auditioning to do over the next few weeks.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 730
First research whether the HDMI on the receiver you buy (probably HDMI 1.1 and gradually some models with 1.2) will be compatible with your cable box HDMI. Many of those cable box HDMI's are 1.0 and don't work with the newer HDMI iterations. Find out from your cable company first, because I doubt the retailer will accept a return for something they deem not their fault.

The Onkyo 901 could be very good as would the new Pioneer 74TXi (THX Select2) which allows for IPOD connections (plus charges your IPOD), USB connections to MP3 players, or WMA9 from your computer to play music (plus it has i-link (firewire) for playing/recording of D-VHS or playing or connecting to an i-link dvd player to play all formats (cd-stereo, dvd-v, dvd-a, sacd surrounds, etc. all on one cable). And XM Radio. Not to mention an automatic top drawer acoustic speaker EQ calibration to balance out your speakers.

If you do not need the USB interface for the computer or i-link they make a cheaper model with everything else --the 72TX. I have seen the 72tx online at under $850 and the 74txi at $1,000.

This is a very competitive area, particularly with the more modern tech features with companies such as Pioneer Elite, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, etc.

blackhawkn
Unregistered guest
hi all, I got a reciever viewsat2000, but last couple day it didnt work it have channel list, but dont have video and audio, is that need new updat or reciever is broken? can some one tell me whay. thanks

Username: Georges_kozah

Ottawa, On Canada

Post Number: 1
i have fortec star ultra lifetime
looking for the crack

Post Number: 9
Gregory,
Thanks for the input. Lately I have been leaning heavily toward the Pioneer 74txvi it has all the connections I will need now and in the near future. The kids can even hook up their iPods. Won't that be fun? The only thing it lacks is the scaling and deinterlacing to upconvert the video to hi-def, though with all the dvd players that now offer that, and the HD already on cable, I'm not sure how important that is anymore. Might not be worth waiting for the Yamaha 2600 especially with all I would give up in connections with that unit.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 439
georges koz go stand on the corner of Michigan and Livernois in Detroit. You are bound to get some.

Bronze Member
Username: Fps_dean

Williamstown, MA USA

Post Number: 99
I've never actually heard an Onkyo, but I have constantly heard words like **** and crap in the same sentance and what junk they are.

I have seen some on audiogon where the seller's downright said "Onkyo sucks" or "Onkyo trash" or "P.O.S." and what a piece of crap it was and even put it right int he subject line.... now that cannot be good for business!

Here is one that says "Onkyo blows" in the subject line.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?miscrcvr&1134146127

Unregistered guest
OK guys got my Marantz SR7500 and what a beaut it is.Here is the lowdown.1)took me all of 4 days to figure out the remote and read the manual without losing my mind,I guess Im slow.2)the features are awesome,assignable inputs ,2nd zone ,DC triggers for projector/screen etc.,automatic signal detection(analog,digital,surround,On screen set up and the automatic speaker set up with the included microphone is very impressive,it was so sensitive to ambient noise I had to turn off my air conditioner,it was picking up the sound of the air coming out my vents and I couldn't hear it .Wish it had HDMI(8500).3)Very musical indeed and the surround modes are great,haven't heard it on THX yet but will soon. The only 2 things Im not totally happy with is that the AC plug in the back is flimsy and that it does not sound as sonically as my Carver/Mcintosh set up,I have to get use to it I guess.I have a Carver CT 24 pre-amp with my MC2100 and Altec Voice of the theater speakers and concidering the age of the amp the punch out the Mac is unbeatable.But then again that's what Mcintosh is known for.Over all Im very pleased with the SR7500 ,specially the price,it retails between $1200-$2000 and I picked it up from an electronic wholesaler out of NY for $784 including free shipping and insurance.Check them out at www.authorizedelectronics.com, they only sell new ,not b-stock or refurbished equipment.Not everything is reasonable,but it depends on what your looking for.The only thing is that by buying from a non Mrantz certified retail dealer Marantz won't honor the 3 yr warranty,witch I think is unfair.On another note if anyone is looking to get into the Onkyo 801 circuit city just reduced it to $684 from the $800-$900 they had it for.I think I would of bought the Marantz SR8500(HDMI)had I had the x-tra cash,but I had to settle for what I got and I have no regrets.Thanks for letting me share this.

pinoy_g35
Unregistered guest
Have you guys heard the Rotel RSX-1056? This is pretty good receiver and you're now entering the realm of high end audio equipment. MSRP is 1299 from Rotel dealers.

Anonymous

Hi John and guys. I'm also looking for a A/V receiver, at same budget. I have a brand new B&W DM-604 S3 (front channel) and a B&W LCR-600 S3 (center) and I'm waiting the surround speakers (B&W DM-602 S3 of course). As you can see I'm a fan of B&W's speakers. Reading the previous posts I think that I have some information to complete this hard work. Yeah, it's a difficult choice. In my opinion the Marantz SR-7500, Denon AVR-3806 Onkyo TX-NR801 and Yamaha RX-V2500 are in the same level regarding the finishing, inputs and outputs and sharing some resources. Well, when I start to choose a new receiver I only look for the detailed specifications of those receivers and it brings to me a vision of the fundamental differences between these receivers. My first thought was feed my two little babies with an outstanding power amplifier. Since no one of these receivers, even the top line models, are capable to drive a high power output directly (200W RMS wanted) I choose to find a receiver that can be used in bi-amplified loudspeakers mode. All of the above models allow this mode using the surround back or zone 2 outputs. The main problem became when I compare the THD (Total Harmonic Distortion). Marantz and Onkyo models have 0,08% of THD and Denon model about 0,05% in the 20Hz to 20kHz range. The surprise was the Yamaha with 0,04% of THD in the same range of frequencies, better then all. Well, how important it is? If you are looking for a Hi-End A/V system it is one of the most important things to consider, it's the ability of the receiver to do not distort the input signals in the power output stage.
Some weeks ago I've heard a B&W DM-803S (and some more B&W speakers to complete the 7.1 channels) with a Rotel RSP-1098 processor, a RB-1090 power amplifier and a RMB-1075 A/V power amplifier. It was a kind of experience that I would like to share but it's very difficult to explain what I've heard. It was the most pure, impressive, louder and powerful sound that I ever heard.
After that, I decide to use a high power amplifier to feed the main frontal speakers using the pre outputs of a good receiver. I've buy an old (but new) professional Yamaha PC-2602E, which can delivery a massive 260W RMS (8 ohm) with 0,007% of THD in a widest frequency range plus a frequency response between 10Hz and 50kHz (+- 1db). The Yamaha is far beyond of the Rotel's power amplifiers, even being an older Yamaha model. The Yamaha have an outstanding 55 V/us of the slew rate with a damping factor better than 250 (Today, in the Hi-End most expensive industries, the combination of these both parameters is attributed only for the current amplifiers, like Krell or Mark Levinson power amplifiers). Just for comparison, Marantz, Onkyo, Denon or even Yamaha receivers do not have a damping factor better than 80. I really recommend: Use a high power amplifier in the front speakers.
The THX certification was my second parameter. It excludes the Denon. THX after all are the first certification given to an amplifier, an A/V system or even a room. THX certification consolidates innumerous parameters that before are completely subjective. More than this bring us very well consolidated procedures and measurement methods and, for the very first time, the ability to hear the sound as it was created by the author. Can you imagine what will happen if Beethoven could hear the 5th symphony in our days? Or, does any one hear the 5th symphony played by Beethoven to say if the reproduction of the sound by an A/V system is better than another? So, THX or any other kind of certification is really blessed in the music or video world. In the balance of the resources, Marantz and Onkyo have limited tone controls when compared with the Yamaha or Denon. Yamaha have seven parametric equalizers with Q filter adjust. I really enjoy films and music and these resources allow me a better way to equalize the sound in my room. The sound is one of the most important thing to consider, speakers and the receiver must be carefully chosen. In my opinion speakers represent more than 50% of the final result. More than this, the central channel is responsible for 80% of the dialog in a 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 modes. Do not think that, no matter which receiver, using chipper loudspeakers you'll have a nice home theater.
My final choice was the Yamaha. Not only because the specifications, I really think that will it be more compatible with my power amplifier and the rest of my hardware. I'm waiting to hear it (it will be delivered in the end of this week).
Sorry for this long comment. I really think that the final sound quality that you want will guide you to the best choice. Connectivity is another thing to consider if you are not planning to change the receiver in the next years, but I really don't know if I change my choice just for a DVI or a HDMI inputs/outputs. You must consider these things only if you have such equipment, both in the input and output sides.
Regards to all.

Will Smothers
Unregistered guest
WOW!!!

What a great topic! I have been considering the following receivers:

Denon AVR-3806
Yamaha HTR-5990
JVC RX-D702B

After reading the posts by Mitch, Anonymous and jazzpr1, I am sold. I went out and did the research, studied the documentation, looked at reviews and finally listed to the receivers and I have decided to go with the Yamaha RX-V4600!

The Yamaha I was looking at was about $950 but after some extensive searching on the net, I found the RX-V4600 for a mere $100 more! Because of that and the reviews here and other sites, it became obvious that the RX-4600 was to be my next receiver.

I will post my results when I have it.

Thanks again to all who posted on this topic.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3515
> Marantz and Onkyo models have 0,08% of THD and Denon model about 0,05% in the 20Hz to 20kHz range. The surprise was the Yamaha with 0,04% of THD in the same range of frequencies, better then all. Well, how important it is? If you are looking for a Hi-End A/V system it is one of the most important things to consider, it's the ability of the receiver to do not distort the input signals in the power output stage.

This is absolutely ludicrous...THD does not even BEGIN to be noticeable to human hearing until it hits 10%.

.08% versus .007% THD is completely meaningless.

That's like choosing sports car A because it does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds while sports car B does it in 5.7 seconds.

The Phoenix
Unregistered guest
Stay away from the low end JVCs if you are looking for accurate sound reproduction. However, if reliability is your priority, they are hard to beat for the money. The fact that a receiver is "all digital" is not sufficient information to make an intelligent choice. All digital receivers are not created equal.

The Phoenix
Unregistered guest
Edster922,

To some people, the difference between 5.5 and 5.7 might be meaningful. Races are won or lost on slimmer margins. It's up to the individual.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3521
> To some people, the difference between 5.5 and 5.7 might be meaningful. Races are won or lost on slimmer margins.

True, if you were buying the sports car to compete in professional racing.

The Phoenix
Unregistered guest
Your analogy, not mine. But to take it one step further, there are also variances in hearing acuity. While there are general and scientifically provable rules about the range of human hearing, I would not assert as an axiom, "This is absolutely ludicrous..."THD does not even BEGIN to be noticeable to human hearing until it hits 10%." You can not maintain with absolute certainty that someone might not notice the distortion at 9%.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 920
Ed, you get sicker all the time.
Your THD is way out of line, Dude 10% is marshall and Peavy band-tube stuff and for a reason.
If I played 10% through my set, you would leave the room just before the amp shut down.
You're bad Ed.

Worthless statement.

Nonsensical.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 921
pesky decimals, maybe?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2562
I was hoping he meant 1%.

The Phoenix
Unregistered guest
Art, I guess your hearing ability defies Ed's paradigm. But hey, like the rest of us, he's human. He just can't hear distortion until it reaches 10%.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 932
Huh?

Username: Edu_da_florida

Post Number: 2
All right, guys. Back to the subject.
I've been trying to decide myself between the Denon 3806 and the Yamaha RX-V2600. This discussion, especially the analysis performed by "Anonimous", are helping me lean toward the Yamaha. One remaining concern is that I read in one other discussion that the Yamaha customer service is deplorable. One guy was absolutely dissatisfied. Have any of you had any experience with their customer service?

The Phoenix
Unregistered guest
Sorry Nuck. I'll try to dumb it down a little in the future.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 942
Sorry Phoenix, you didn't reach 10% yet.

Brian Hunt
Unregistered guest
I've owned two Yamaha receivers and a couple of other Yamaha components over the last 20 years and never had a failure. I can't speak to the quality of their customer service, but my overall satisfaction with their products is outstanding. If you're making a significant purchase, buy through an authorized and reputable dealer who is willing to give you their assurance that they'll take care of you if something goes wrong. A personal relationship with a distributor can be as valuable as a long term service contract. I just experienced this with a 7 year old B&O system that needed repairs. My local dealer made sure the repairs were covered as warranty work, even though the warranty technically expired several years ago. I didn't even have to ask for this favor.

M Waldo
Unregistered guest
So I'm currently researching HDMI A/V receivers myself, and this topic seemed right on course, though it has obviously wandered a bit recently.

Can anyone tell me if they are happy with their Yamaha RX-V4600 or JVC D702B? I've read a few places complaining that their 702s broke quickly and that JVC has been TERRIBLE about fixing them.

However, I find it hard to justify the difference in price between the JVC 702 and the either the Yamaha 4600 or 2600, especially since I don't need a mulitple zone receiver. And I'm annoyed that Yamaha would do a half assed HDMI implementation on the 4600 and not have it up convert. Not to mention that the JVC is getting fairly high marks from the people that it doesn't break on.

Any thoughts/experiences so far? Anyone own one of these now?

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 407
M Waldo: At this point in the development of the technology I am fairly skeptical of digital amplification. It is difficult to deny the benefit of a digital amp for a subwoofer but as a main channel amplifier there is still much work to be done. I've heard a couple of digital receivers and about the only one that was listenable at least for music was the HK DPR 2005 which is about the only one I would consider if I went this route.

reeseman
Unregistered guest
Hi fellas! Im just trying to get some guidance on getting a new A/V receiver. Which is better the Pioneer 74txvi/72txv or the yamaha rxv2600? Im leaning toward pioneer. Im really interested in upconversion abilites and sound. thx

Post Number: 10
Between the Pioneer vsx-74TXVi and the Yamaha rxv-2600 it depends on what is more important to you. If you want the internet and computer connectivity go with the Pioneer 74txvi. If the video up-conversion capability is more important to you the Yamaha 2600 would be the better choice. I just saw another string on this exact subject on this message board.
My problem was and is that I want both the computer connectivity, the video up-conversion and THX certification. I also don't want to spend over $2,000.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us