Pairing Receivers and Speaker Systems

Username: Skipintx

Post Number: 1
I'm trying to figure out some terms used here and how to incorporate what they mean into my evaluation. I think I want the Onkyo TX-NR801 with a Klipsch speaker system (F1's etc). I've read through a lot of threads here, and I keep coming across terms like warm and bright. Like a given speaker is bright, or a receiver is warm. Can someone help me out with what is meant by these terms, what is ultimately desirable in combining speakers and receivers, how I determine this by listening, and/or whether my desired pairing is wise, dumb or whatever?

Thanks, Skip

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5448

http://www.stereophile.com/reference/50/index.html

http://sound.westhost.com/site-map.htm

If you are just beginning to put together a system and you do not understand how it is accomplished, I would suggest you find a reputable dealer and let them assist you. There are far too many questions you will have that can best be answered by a demonstration than can be answered on this forum. Let a good dealer help you and reward them for their service by spending money in their store. You will end up spending far less in the long run when an expert assists you than if you try out smarting the system by buying on the internet from unknown and unseen brokers.

Post Number: 2
Thanks. Good general advice, but not quite what I'm looking for. Over the last 30 years, I've had 3 or 4 systems, Pioneer and Sony receivers, Infinity and Polk speakers. The system I have now is about 8 years old. I'm a PC techie, and I want an easy way to stream audio, hence the 801, although I think the Yamaha 757 has a RJ45 connection as well. I've always THOUGHT I liked the Klipsch speakers I've heard at friends and in stores. I do plan to do some listening of several combinations. I'm still wondering 1) bright and warm (is it just highs and lows, or more), 2) about pairing speakers and receivers in general, and 3) the specific combination of Onkyo/Klipsch reference series. If it helps narrow down the potential world of responses, I don't think I want to get into different systems for music vs home theater viewing. I can't afford it after acquiring my TV, the Samsung HL-R6167W.

Post Number: 3
Ooops. Sorry, I hadn't checked the links before I responded, thinking they were to you or your sites. The stereophile glossary looks very helpful, and answers 1) very well. I'm thinking it may be the "bright" nature of the klipsch speakers I like. It will take some time to peruse the other site articles.

Thanks for the links, I had not found them in my browsing.

Bronze Member
Username: Djwages

Post Number: 22
I have the 801 as well and what you want in terms of a speaker for it is one that is warm and efficient in the bottom end and not very bright. The 801 doesn't have a lot of bottom end punch, musically since it is underpowered. For HT it's pretty good but for 2-channel music it could be better. I personally think the Klipsch are bit to bright for my tastes. I have a set of Mirage speakers on mine and they sound nice but on an NAD for example they sound a bit boomy. I've also tried some Mission speakers that sounded nice.

For streaming music you will find the Onkyo interface is not the greatest. especially when you try to build playlists. But it does sound quite nice with High quality VBR MP3s. Not CD good but ok for the purpose. I ended up picking up a Go-Video D2740 wireless DVD music server (http://www.govideo.com/Index.asp?GV=D2740) for under $100 that does the same thing and streams pictures and movies. It also will read most playlist formats including i-Tunes which is a major plus. This is part of the same line that was made for Gateway which was discontinued

Post Number: 4
DJ,

Just the kind of feedback I was hoping for. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I haven't been able to find out much about exactly how the Onkyo interface worked. Hard to understand how such a receiver as the 801 could be underpowered, but maybe I need to reconsider my receiver choice if I really want the Klipsch speakers. Also sounds like I might be better off with a simply wireless setup over a receiver with a ethernet connection. I was concerned that I don't see much happening with receivers taking on the "media center" tasks they could. Thanks very much for the tips.

anonymousll
Unregistered guest
whatever you do just don't listen to Jan. He is very arrogant and only believes in himself. To him no one else should give advice of any kind.

Good luck though

anonymousII
Unregistered guest
Jan,
This is the real "anonymousII". As on the thread about the Yamaha I DID NOT post the above comment. Even though we have had our disagreements I would not go nearly as far as the above post. The purpose of this forum should be to hear from a variety of opinions so that above statement by the idiot thief is just stupid. Some people just can't help acting like morons.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5544

See my advice on the other thread.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us