Decision Help, i need to upgrade?

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 286
right now i have a acoustic authority powered subwoofer with two speakers (package bought for $70 at Staples), its alright but can have large amounts of distortion. What is the best powered subwoofer that can be bought for under or around $250. I dont really want to mess with the seperate sub, reciever, speakers, etc. thats why im going with powered subwoofer. im just looking for an upgrade. thanks

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 1168
db-bass

This is a quote from one owner of the JBL E250P

Enter the JBL E250P. I ordered it for $239 delivered from an online vender, which is an absolute steal compared with the MSRP of $499 at brick-and-mortar stores like Tweeter or Best Buy. It goes beyond the performance of the E150P by upgrading the PolyPlas woofer to 12" and beefing up the amplifier to 250watt RMS (550watt peak). Both of these JBL Northridge subs are available in black finish or cherry finish, although I greatly prefer the black as it matches my main speakers (Athena Audition series). They are also front-firing subwoofers, which means you will want to place the speaker cone firing into the room, not into the wall. The included speaker grill provides some protection and a cleaner look, although it can be impressive to leave off and see how much displacement the 12" driver has.

Looks to me as fair and affordable offer, being a JBL owner of the JBL 4645 professional cinema THX approved model, I've always trusted JBL in the professional field and in the home, with history starting with the first talkie The Jazz Singer" 1927 so they have got one fine track record with a fine heritage.....

http://www.epinions.com/content_182085258884

Ashley

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 785
Andy you have Athenas?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1169
Tawaun,

By that you mean the Greeks?

You bet, what's the story?

Silver Member

Post Number: 787
So thats your music system?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1171
Tawaun,

Gee, sorry man I thought you where talking about a place, I had to re-word it, I'm on your frequency wave band now yes, yes I do have images of the "Athena" loudspeakers....what have you got in mind Tawaun.

Ashley

Gold Member

Post Number: 1172
db-bass

hear is link to some incredible sub bass others....please click on the lick below and start drooling over the low, low prices WOW.

http://bestselectronics.com/cat172568/page-7.html

Ashley

Gold Member

Post Number: 1173
db-bass

I have also heard some good reviews on the Velodyne sub bass range this is the VX10

Upload

$169.99
Precision machined voice coil gap and large copper voice coil
• RCA low and high level inputs for connection to the Subwoofer / LFE output of a receiver or processor
• RCA low level outputs and spring loaded high level outputs
• Frequency Response - 36 - 120Hz +/- 3dB
Ashley

Silver Member

Post Number: 789
I thought you owned Athena speakers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1175
Tawaun,

Sorry no, I've been a JBL owner for almost 17 years now, and when they give up the ghost, it will be JBL all over again JBL has used in the motion picture industry....

Though I open to views, maybe test a loudspeaker out, or do an A&B test for a friend, but Its like first impressions when I first heard and felt JBL wrath back in 1989 at the EMPIRE Leicester Square screen #1 via the Lucasfilm THX sound system program, I was hooked on them.....

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade 70mm Dolby Stereo six-track mag......

Ashley

Silver Member

Post Number: 288
thanks guys. if i purchased one of these subs, would i just buy speakers of any sort to plug in the back or how does the speaker situation work with home subs?

Silver Member

Post Number: 290
also i noticed jbl has cheaper home subs than most, how is jbl compared to others. can anyone recommend me certain brands that tend to be the best for under $250. thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1180
db-bass

You did look at the link below on this post, are you not confident on what you saw, as I was savouring it all up damn those prices where cheep, well offers only come so often.

http://bestselectronics.com/cat172568/page-7.html

the JBL and the Velodyne looked on the money, but without real world testing, there's no way to tell, but I would look for the largest sub bass driver VS the frequency response amplification power and the cost of the item....

Ashley

Silver Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 243
db: What is your current system connected to now? Also what are your listening preferences? Room size?

The reason I ask is that if you go with a typical subwoofer, it will not power your speakers as well, meaning that you will need an amplification source. If I'm judging what you are looking for correctly, I might suggest you look at the Klipsch Promedia series and Cambridge Soundworks Mega and Gigaworks series systems. These systems include decent satellite speakers and can be hooked directly into your DVD player, TV, what have you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 291
my speakers are connected to the sub, everything came together and hooks together. i listen to mostly trance, some rock and some rap. i will have the system in a bedroom about 12" by 12". thanks for the help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1184
Devils,

Just how small are the satellites as, way to small is really disconcerting, bookshelf models seven of one 7.1 is fair play that is 6 matching all around without compromising the look and the sound in whole and in part, easy with all the same voicing....

As well as frequency response power handling sensitivity db...

Ashley

Silver Member

Post Number: 245
db: You can check out the speakers at your local Best Buy or Circuit City under the computer speakers section.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=4148283&type=product&id=1051384267 922

or if you can save a little bit more dough

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5997193&type=product&id=1061770059 194

Alternatively there is this

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=spk_multimedia%26 item%3Dc1mw21ee

They have a few other packages too worth looking at.

Silver Member

Post Number: 246
Andy: I would put these speakers up against some very expensive competition. They would outright trash anything Bose has to offer for example.

Silver Member

Post Number: 247
Ohh and PS. the speakers can be upgraded later as well since they are connected by standard speaker wire.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1185
Devils,

Well I agree on the issue over the "Bose" has another projectionist commented on there Bose wave cannon system was the pits, or not as much giving in the low range with authority over the JBL 4645 sub bass, this was around 10, 11years ago he made this comment to me, though having only seeing a diagram of the "Bose wave cannon" how it would be positioned behind the screen looked interesting though when you hear a few more of the same or similar comments you start to say doesn't sound good.

"Hitler" once said the "Bigger the lie the more people will believe in it..."

Ashley

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1687
db-bass,

I would NOT recommend either JBL Northridge sub. I own the e150, got greedy when I had a chance to buy it new off eBay for $160 shipped, have never stopped kicking myself for it. The e250 is supposedly better (by how much I'm not sure) but in the under $300 range you'd probably be better off with the Dayton 12" from partsexpress for about $150 shipped.

If your room is small (say under 500 square feet) a Hsu STF-1 would work far better for $300 and for an extra $100 you can get a Hsu STF-2 which would rock up to medium sized rooms, very clean bass. Contact Hsuresearch.com for B-stocks on the STF-2, you may be able to score one for about $350 shipped...well worth the extra money if you use it for music, for HT the Daytons should be fine, maybe even a pair of them at those prices.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1689
PS. I strongly disagree with this part of the review that Andy pasted: "They are also front-firing subwoofers, which means you will want to place the speaker cone firing into the room, not into the wall." The ONLY way I can get somewhat decent output from my e150 is to have the woofer pointing at the wall, I have it at an angle so that the waves will bounce off the wall towards my listening position (yes I know low bass is supposedly omnidirectional but this works in my room somehow). One corner of the front baffle is basically two inches from the wall!

Silver Member

Post Number: 792
I second the Dayton sub,you may want to check out the Wharfedale diamond subs and the Paradigm performance subs,as Edster was stating to you do not buy a subpar sub,it will irritate you more than any other purchase I can think of.Go out and listen to some different subs,unfortunately i think the best subs in your pricerange are factory dirrect,but go listen and get a feel for what kind of sound you are listening for.Subs have different sounds just like speakers do,so take your own music and movies,if you listen to more music,buy a sub more dedicated to that format,and if its movies you fancy more than vice versa,or try to find one that is versitile with both,remember though you are not gonna achieve perfection in this pricerange,but get the best that you can afford and if its a few dollars more then spend it you will be better in the long run.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1192
Edster922

Front firing 3-Dimensional turn it on its side if you are daring, and it well not harm it in anyway, and speaking of front firing my JBL 4645 is front-firing and in the 7 years I've had her there's not a day that's gone by where I have been disappointed with it performance, in sub bass authority down to 18Hz with 20Hz to 120Hz being the standardized frequency range with 120db SPL peak....

Also I have experimented with it by placing it facing towards the floor sure there was a difference and the radiation Patten was to much at the epicentre of the JBL 4645, so forward firing it is, has quite a few will be needed for the downward firing set-up.

Also with it firing downwards tends to make some floorboards rattle like hell, adding to what should not be there on the soundtrack, and then ripping up the carpet to screw down the floorboards into the joists, man there's a lot to home cinema then meets the ear....

Ashley

Gold Member

Post Number: 1193
Tawaun, Edster922, Devils & db-bass

Anyway guys I'm signing off now, later on in the day I'll be doing an LFE test for the LFE test thread, today I'll be testing "What lies Beneath 2000" "The Italian Job 2003" and "Top Gun special edition" so that's a whole lot of checking out though I'll only be looking for the highest LFE only peak level, catch you on the flip-side later guys.......

Ashley

Silver Member

Post Number: 294
my current crappy powered sub has speaker inputs in the back and another input for hooking up a mp3 player or computer. do most powered subs have this or do i need to get a reciever.

Silver Member

Post Number: 248
db: Most powered subs + speaker combos will require a receiver, but the systems I listed do not require a receiver.

Bronze Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 22
Nice thread. Eddie is correct that for a front firing sub sometimes performance can be imporved by corner loading a front firing sub by facing it into the corner ( not down!) as opposed to out in to the room. The room geometry really impacts the result!

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 458
db,

How many threads do you need to have going that cover the same issues. This is like the 4th thread I've found where you're posing basically the same questions. Are you yanking our chains or what?

Silver Member

Post Number: 311
no just makin sure i do it right the first time so im trying to find the majority recommendation.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us