Ascend CMT-340M vs. Paradigm Monitor 5

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 230
Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to listen to and compare these two speakers. They are about the same size, configuration and price.
Edster...any thoughts?

Bronze Member
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 34
The Ascend 340 is the better of these two. The 340 and a good little sub like a Hsu STF-1 compares to the Studio 100s.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1597
Rick,

as a matter of fact, if I had not gone Internet-direct I probably would've bought the Monitor 5 myself. I enjoyed them, heard them in a shop through a variety of receivers one of which was the Marantz 5500, which was a good combo. Excellent detail though leaning a bit on the bright side at high volumes, but overall a very open and dynamic presentation. Preferred it to the Monitor 7 and 9 actually, though those obviously had better bass. I don't think the midrange performance could keep up with the 340s though.

Plus I figure if a brick-and-mortar store is selling the Monitor 5s for the same price as the Ascend 340s, the Paradigm-direct price (if Paradigm ever sold direct of course) would probably be around $400 instead of $550-600 which indicates they are probably not of the same manufacturing quality/cost.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us