How do I tell if my sub's are clipping.

Username: Glocknesmonstr

Largo, Fl Usa

Post Number: 6
Hi I need to know how to tell of my sub's are clipping. Please explain what clipping means so I dont trash my 15. Also the reason I ask is b/c when I turn it up loud wich is about 80% vol. never over, the words cut out and in on some songs, and the cd's are fine.

jose cristof
Unregistered guest
you hear words from your subs?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 581
Bose?

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 198
technically, subs don't clip. it's the amplifier that clips when you go too loud. the general rule of thumb is too much power is better than not enough. if you over tax your amp, it will clip and clipping destroys amps.

if you hear ANY form of distortion in your sub... you're listening too loud! turn it down until it doesn't sound like crap anymore.

easy rule to follow.

if memory serves me right... clipping will cause a popping sound, but distortion in general should be avoided as you're pushing SOMETHING too far when you hear it.

clear is definately better than loud... especially when loud can make equipment self destruct.

it sounds like you're overloading something and triggering a protection circuit. if turning it down solves the problem...

then just turn it down!

"dr.! dr.! it hurts when i do this!"
"then don't do that anymore"

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1939
If you hear popping, you're bottoming-out your drivers, and the voice coil is slapping up against the magnet. A surefire way to cause all kinds of damage to both your speakers and receiver.

On the other hand, clipping is just a distorted signal that has been sent out to the speakers.

Username: Matt1234

Post Number: 10
Um, you find an army of bob-ombs playing with your subs?

Just joking. Anyways, the way to tell if your subs are clipping is if you hear buzzing sounds coming from them. Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 269
clipping = buzzing

it's been so long that i forgot. clipping probably sounds like someone driving down the street with a $200 department store car stereo playing too loud into a subwoofer.

EVERYONE has heard that dreadfull distorted sound! LOL

how ANYONE can prefer loud garbage over as loud as it will go CLEARLY astounds me.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2126
What??? Clipping does NOT equal buzzing. If you hear buzzing, you either have a bad cable, or you need to toss the NAD receiver in the garbage can.

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 1135
Good gracious throw it in the dust bin, man are you mad......

Upload

Or you can take it to the Hi-Fi repair shop...

Ashley

Silver Member

Post Number: 276
i always thought that clipping equals the "fuzzy" sound of an electric guitar played through a distortion device. not quite a buzz... but kind of buzzlike.

line level clipping probably isn't as vicious as power amp level clipping i bet.

did i answer right teach? do i get a gold star? LOL

Anonnnn
Unregistered guest
Paul still thinks he can give advice! When will he learn?
Man, you got to give to him, he is tenacious, exceptionally ignorant but tenacious....lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us