Rega Mira 3

Anonymous

I've heard that Mira 3 gives you a better result when used with a REGA's cdp like Jupiter or Planet ... a matter of "sinergy ".
Is that limitation really true ?
I enjoyed the sound of MIRA 3 and I'm interested in buying one but I simply hate top-loadings cdps.

I would appreciate your advices on that .

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 743
The Mira 3 is a good amp. Obviously there is synergy between it and a fellow Rega CD player, but it also works reasonably well (if differently) with an Arcam CD73T or an NAD C542 or better.

Regards,
Frank.

Anonymous

Frank: if one was considering an integrated amp coupled with an Arcam CD73 would you reccommend the Arcam A80 or the Mira? How's the build quality of the mira in your HO? Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6609

I would hardly consider "synergy" to be a limitation. "Synergy", or "synchronicity", is, after all, what elevates a mid priced system to levels well beyond more expensive gear poorly put together.

What the Rega gear achieves musically is not to be found only in Rega branded products. It is, in many ways, simply musical. It should mate well with products from other companies with similar goals assuming the person buying the equipment has a very clear idea what they want from their system. If the person buying the system has no idea what synergy between components means, then the Rega gear is probably not for them anyway.

Anonymous

Jan: please do not believe that you are the only listener with ears and a sense of fine audio reproduction. Your reply reads more like that of an Ivy league snob than a Texan. Anon was simply asking for frank to explain his sense of difference in the rega/rega combo and the rega/arcam. I too, am interested in a rega to mate with an arcam and ruark speakers. I am therefore interested in frank's accessment as well as yours. I, therefore, thank you in advance for your input.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6613

Then my answer at this point is exactly what I posted. Synergy is a very desirable trait in any system. Without it, it doesn't matter what equipment you put together. I wanted to make sure the idea of this supposed Rega "synergy" was not lost on the original anonymous poster who sounds as if they do not fully understand why the Rega products have this quality nor what this synergy accomplishes.

Here's someone who has "heard" something about the Rega and is now aking for advice. OK, advice is what the forum is supposed to provide. Understanding how a system gets put together to the best advantage of all components is also a bit of the education the forum can provide. And listening for yourself should be the final arbitter, not anything you've heard or read.

I'm not asking anyone to follow my advice but don't let what you've "heard" (from someone who may or may not know how to put together a system or may be using this "synergy" as a point against the Rega in order to sway the decision in another direction) influence what you buy either. Listen for yourself and hear what synergy can do for a system. And, know what it is musically you want the system do accomplish. That's my only point. For, if you have no idea what you want, you will never hear it when it comes around.

Synergy should never be considered a "limitation". That someone can understand how to put together a system that employs synchronicity between components seems to be quite difficult to understand. There seems to be the idea that matching a bright speaker with a warm receiver accomplishes "synergy". In most cases nothing could be further from the truth. Beyond the tonal balance of a component is an entire labirynth of personality traits that would make that simple combination of bright and warm sounds fight each other more often than complimenting one another.

If the original poster has never experienced a system with synergy or believes synergy to be a less than virtuous quality, I would strongly suggest she/he visit a dealer who can demonstrate just what synergy is all about in an audio system.

Harju
Unregistered guest
I am also looking at Rega products for my ultimate 2 channel stereo. I have a Denon DCD1420 which was/is very audiophile (I have newer changers and burners as well), Mirage m490 speakers, and then odds and ends. The Rega Mira and Tuner together are about$1050. I was considering nad before, but Rega has a great story and sounded great in the store. I plan to purchase the first week of December. Any ideas, comments, or help on this matter?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6620

Work with your dealer to get the most from your system. They should know their equipment better than anyone else and should be a valuable source of information.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1047
Harju

Enjoy. If you liked what you heard then at least you know you're on the right track. Try to finish off the system with suitable cabling. Chord Company makes excellent interconnects that work well with Rega. As for speaker cable, Naim cable works well with Rega, as well as Chord Carnival Silver Plus. Rega's own Couple interconnect is a little cool for my taste and their speaker cable lacks a bit in resolution, but they are also good combinations of course.

Regards,
Frank.

Harju
Unregistered guest
Thanks for trhe info, I greatly appreciate it. Next week, I'll be picking up the system.

Tom

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1094
Sorry about this. I know I'm really late back into this thread. I've been dealing with a lot of difficult stuff here in the real world and had forgotten I was contributing to this thread.

Anon, both the Mira and A80 would suit the CD73T. It's a question of how. The Mira does different things to the Arcam. That said, for only slightly more money (here) I'd go for the new Rega Apollo CD player with the Mira. The new Rega Apollo CD player is THE player to beat below quite silly money (thousands). It's only just been released and supplies are still only trickling out of the factory, but this player is a giant killer, a regular David with a sling!

Look into it if you can.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us