Kenwood VR-6070 THX/DPL2. Anyone has this unit? (Page 10)

Jeffrey
John A, glad to see you got it working the way you like and sorry to hear about the plate, that was funny.

Chris R, best bet is to hook up all the speakers to the outputs and then the sub to the pre-out. Then, as you play with the settings, you will find what works best for you. If you fronts/rear/surrounds are capable of producing less than 80Hz, then you should set them to large. If not, then set them to NML and select SW Remix to ON. This will redirect the bass from any speakers set to NML to your sub outputs, whether pre-out or 6th Ch AMP output.

To find the optimum settings, I have been playing with my unit for quite some time and now I am at front, center set to large, rear/surround set to NML, surr remix set to ON, SW remix set to ON, and I have gone thru test CD's of various kinds to find the balanced levels to set each speaker at. This is for the various listening modes. In Stereo, I have turned off THX and then selected the Tone button and adjusted the Bass and Treble up by 4 clicks. This level of increase and sound matches the similar output I get from the CSII setting for music. I have yet to notice any impact by switching the loudness on and off in stereo and the manual seems to imply that the loudness only activates at low volumes, which I don't know what the mean by low cause I have tried 35/45 on the volume dial and still could not see a difference.

I love the star wars bass, and I love the bass from Blade II as well, especially the clarity of DTS ES. It seems to have more detail than Dolby D ES format on the same DVD. I also tried this comparison on Reign of Fire which has both Dolby D and DTS and the cave scene in the beginning when the kid enters with the flashlight has these drops of water that occur in surround. The drops are far more refined in DTS mode. So far, DTS is getting my vote fot the best sound.

Jeffrey
Dion, the optical connection listed below the CD/DVD on the back of the unit, also shown on page 14 of the manual, is also the same connection that corresponds to the Video inputs for the DVD just below it. This is where I have my DVD inputs.

You should connect your DVD here. You can then connect your game console into the video 3 inputs, optical which is to the right of the DVD optical input, and for the video, plug it into the Video 3 inputs for video. You will see rectangles around the inputs which is the grouping of how the are assigned. The only exception is the optical connection for the Video 3 inputs is not listed for such a grouping. Try connecting it this way and when you select Video 3, you should get both audio and video.

If you need another input, I used the left and right channels of the DVD/6Ch inputs on the rear to connect the left and right out of my satellite radio and this works fine, since I would not have otherwise used this input. If you had a spare CD player for instance, in addition to your DVD player, you could connect it to this input.

Dion
Jeffrey. Thanks alot for your help mate.
life saver :)

Welp i'm still having that problem with the receiver auto selecting the right format of Dolby Digital 5.1 EX when i play a movie with that sound format. I'm using the optical connect from my DVD player.. i've tried connecting it with a coaxial and that didnt make a difference. I never even knew how to manually select the sound field for the receiver till just now.. So i can select Dolby D EX from there and hear sound from the rear center channel but the display on the receiver only shows 5.1 speaker setup and the rear center isint lit up.

Can someone comfirm if the receiver will auto select DD EX with all 6 channels lit up on the display or does that only do that for DTS 6.1? I can get the 6.1 discreat to work no probs.

Movies i've tried with DD 5.1 EX:

We were solders
Star Wars-Clone wars
Lord of the Rings

Oh one more thing.. The DVD player also has 5.1 RCA output and a built in DD decoder... but its older so theres no DTS on it. Could that be the prob?

One other thing.. Why is it on Star Wars- Clone wars, i cant have DD 5.1 EX selected and THX at the same time? Or do i have to select THX Surround EX and it will be the same as DD 5.1 EX but with THX?

Kinda is bothering me since the movie has DD 5.1 EX and THX.

Dion,

I have 2 dvd players and a PS2 all using digital... Well the PS2 and the main DVD are using Optical and S-video.

I have the DVD on the DVD/CD Optical and the S-Video connected to the DVD/6th channel if you can believe that and its been workin fine.. The PS2 i have hooked up to Input 3 and S-video to Input 3.. For the other DVD player i have it hooked up via coaxial digital connect on input 2 and the S-video on 2... I also have a CD player on cd/dvd and a VCR on input 2 sharing with the spare DVD but its using RCA connects..no s-video. Oh i even have my digital cable from comcast on input 3 i believe sharing with the main DVD using only RCA connects.. So you can see.. Theres really no end on how you can connect everything up even though you can not assign s-video to whatever ya want.

Dion
eclypse.
yeah i see that now. you see with my previous amplifier, it was a pioneer, and with that, you could connect a device to any connection, and to any opticle/coax connection (whether it matched or not) and you could program the digital connections to be used in conjunction with anything else, for example, if i plugged my dvd player into s-video on the aux input, i could tell the amp to use the opticle as the auxilary etc.... i was thinking with this kenwood being a better and new model with all the latest features it could provide the same similar kind of programming :) i guess i was wrong. but it's all good now regardless.
My new dvd player i'll be using coaxial since this one at the moment only has the opticle. Being the Panasonic Q, they probably coudln't add anything else to it coz it's so packed full of hardware inside as it is, hehe

Jeffrey
eclypse, I have not seen the back speaker light turn on when I play Dolby D EX movies, only for DTS ES, but this is my recollection. I have noticed that you can only use either THX EX or Dolby D EX, they don't work together. So if you want to have the receiver display Dolby D EX, you have to switch off the THX completely, and then if your reciever does not autodetect Dolby D EX, you can push the listen mode button up one click and it should activate. I played with the two a little bit and the Dolby D EX format sound slightly more colored than the THX EX.

Ok cool..

jmk
I have been reading this thread for quite a while, lots of good info.

I already have a 6070 for two months now, and I am considering an upgrade to a dvd player with dvd-audio. Does anybody know if the bass management in the 6070 applies not just to the digital inputs but also to the 6.1 analog inputs?

Hey guys,

I've been lurking for a few weeks since beginning research on a new HT receiver. My Denon AVR1400 Pro-logic receiver died and now I'm happily looking for a replacement.

Well, I just placed the order! I also ordered a Yamaha DV-C6480 5-DVD changer with DVD-Audio (with 192kHz/24-bit Burr-Brown D/A converters) to push through the 6070. I am psyched.

This thread virtually made my mind up. The other serious contenders were Yamaha HTR-5560 and 90, and the Onkyo TSXR600. But as everyone here knows at the price point nothing can touch the THX Select and EX Surround, CSII surround, discrete 6.1, 7.1 OUTPUTS!! Plus two zone, two sets of mains, etc...!!!

The only real bummer is the lame video bandwidth for the component switching. Fortunately not a problem for me.

Thank you all again...

QUESTION: Is there any tangible benefit to setting up 7.1 by using another amp for the rear left and right if no titles are really supported??

I can do this by using the Denon (with pre-ins) and the outputs of the 6070, but is the sound more compelling with two rear sats or as a center channel?

Is anyone here actually doing 7.1 who can tell me if it's worth running the two amps?

Awesome thread...thanks!!!

Jeffrey
jmk, page 35 of the manual states that the DVD 6 channel mode does have an LFE channel, which to me implies the same bass management functions. I have not seen anything in the manual to otherwise state that the typical bass management features are not there. The way I read the statement from the manual, it means that the sw remix function will still apply to this input mode.

Jeffrey
Ahh, one additional detail on 6 channel music, page 37 of the manual in lower right states that independent speaker levels cannot be adjusted once in this mode. They expect the DVD player to be able to adjust these modes for you. There's the catch, finding a DVD player that will do this for you since the 6070 won't let you.

h1pst3r, I have 7.1 worth of speakers, but the 6.1 amp is driving these since my two back are run in series. I did see the value of having a matching set of speakers for now, but not having an additional amp with virtually no 7.1 source material to use, still waiting if anyone knows of any. There was Popular Science article that slammed the companies for coming out with 7.1 saying enough, 6.1 isn't even fully out the gate and they are already pushing 7.1. That article was about 4-6 months ago if I recall, and we still have not seen any tangible 7.1 goods. So, I figure I will set up for what is mostly available, 6.1 and down the line purchase a 2 channel amp if I need to go for 7.1 later. That way, the money is mine until I need to upgrade.

Jeffrey
OK, I found the best way to enhance your Kenwood and it is as simple as adding an IR repeater. On page 19 of the manual, it talks about plugging a IR repearter such as the Xantech 282 into the IR repeater outputs on the 6070. But what is doesn't state explicitly is that the 6070 will forward any commands that you program into the remote via the RF and IR transmission thru this repeater hooked up to the back. So, I hooked up one that I have, not the Xantech, mine had a mini plug, so I had to scrap together an adaptor to test this. But I was surprised to find that it actually worked, I can go into another room and still control my TV, Cable, satellite radio all via the RF of the remote. This is a excellent feature to have if you want to listen to Room B, or do like I do and modulate my room B outputs to other parts of the house over my cable connections. All you need to do is find either the Xantech 282, 283, or 284 emitters and plug them in. Heck, the 282 is listed on this site for $10:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/asihome/iremitters.html

There are probably other places to get them. I feel Kenwood did a sorry job of explaining this feature in the manual. But, I found my fix and I am happy, hope this helps you others that are trying the multi room hookup as well.

I just got my VR-6070 today. After a long day at work, followed by a night meeting, I've just spent the last few hours getting things hooked up. I don't have everything tweaked yet; but, boy, am I happy with this set-up! The JBL SCS150 speakers have no problem filling the room with lots of sound. Now for a quick question before I go to get some sleep....

Regarding the RCA Monitor output jack, is it supposed to send ALL video out to the TV? The reason I ask is that I originally tried hooking my DISH to the 6070 via the S-Video jack and my DVD player via the Component Video jacks; but neither would show up on the TV via the monitor jack. I tried different video ports; but to no avail. Maybe I'm missing something in the manual (...probably too tired at the moment to see it ); but I'd think that any video inputs should be able to go out to the monitor. At any rate, connecting both via the standard RCA Video In jacks works just fine for now. Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.

To Mike Gratis,

The RCA Monitor output will send all video, which input with RCA jack, out to TV. In your case, you may try to use the S-Video Monitor output to your TV or hook up your DISH via RCA jack, i.e.
S-Video in -- S-Video out
or
RCA jack in -- RCA jack out

Same principle for the DVD.
Component Video in -- Component Video out

Mike... Yeah what you want is called "Video Switching" i think thats it anyways... Where it will convert the signal from normal RCA or S-video and send it out threw your main hookup to your tv via Componant video out or whatever... That feature will cost though and is only found on expensive receivers in the 1000 and up range. Would be nice but theres easy ways around it if your TV have multipal imputs like S-video and RCA and or Componant video..

I dont know what ya need but just make sure for whatever your hooking up to that receiver to the main out that it matches there other stuff your pluggin into it. So if ya got a VCR that uses RCA then connect that and you will have to connect the main RCA out to your TV hopefully on your other inputs on it.. Usually TVs have like an S-video and another input 2 for regular RCA type plugs.. Thankfully you can use both the RCA and Svideo outs on the receiver at the same time. So anything that ya gona plug into the receiver that uses RCA will use the RCA composit out to the tv and whatever ya got that uses S-video will use the S-video main out to the TV.

My Tv has 3 inputs total with input one sharing with the s-video. So my 2 DVD's and PS2 all run threw the S-video and out the main S-video to the TV and my Digital Cable box and the VCR run threw the RCA main out to the TV into the 2ns input.

yeah the only downfall with this unit is the crappy low bandwidth componant video outs capped at like 30.. But most expensive Tv's that use that kind of connection probably have more then one componant input so ya can just totaly bypass the receiver and go straight to the Tv and just connect the sound to the receiver.

Just try it out... There is really no limits as to how ya can hook this baby up hehe.

Jeffery, If ya got the spare receiver with some kind of stereo hookups and another 2 speakers for the rear center (left and right), give it a try. I use it all the time.

Its perfect for music or watchin Tv since CSII (Circle Surround II) will decode stereo into 6.1 full channels..Plus you also have NEO 6.1 also.. It will give you a more rounded out sound...fuller..well you'll see hehe. If ya got a DTS EX or DD EX movie it will use the 7.1 speakers.. Again theres a noticable difference with all these speaekrs filling in all that space.

hehe i'll say it again.. perfect damn Receiver... period!

Oh and make sure to rent or pick up Jurassic Park 1-3.. Just got done watching 2 and what a great movie and great sound hehe.

Listen to this.. a few days ago i poped in "We were Solders" and after it started i got up to light a cigerate and i'm standing in front of the tv. Out of nowhere i hear a bullet fly right by me from the front right speaker and end right in the center speaker.. I had my head down at the time and didnt realize it was the movie and it scared the livin crap outa me so much that i almost had a freakin heart attack! I kid you not! My heart was poundin away and i felt weak in the knees and stuff...heheh.. Hell i didnt know what the hell happend hehe.. Didnt know if someone just shot at me threw the window or what..Talk about great sound! WOW.. i mean that came outa nowhere... Now if that aint a true test of your HT system i dont know what is :)

Thanks for the input on the Monitor out. You hit the nail on the head -- My train of thought early this morning was that the 6070 should act as a switch and no matter what connectors I used to hook things up (Composite, Component, S-Video, etc), the 6070 would spit it out of the various outputs and to the TV. In my case I kept thinking that the Monitor Out should handle it all. Knowing that's not the case, now all's I have to do is keep in mind to use the same type of connectors in and out.

I'm sure I'll be spending the next week or two sorting things out and figuring out all of the best settings to use. When I get home from work tonight I'll be checking on the subwoofer settings. It seems to be running fine with movies; but I don't think it's active with music. Right now I've just got the one RCA connector from the Subwoofer to the 6070, as was shown in the manual for a powered subwoofer.

jmk
Jeffrey, I think you are correct regarding bass management and the dvd 6ch analog inputs. I re-read the manual, and I came to the same conclusion. Thanks for the reply.

I have shortened my list of dvd-audio player candidates to two that would fit my budget: Panasonic dv-rp82 and Pioneer 656a (the NA model, not European/Asian version with SACD). Both units have bass management active on their 5.1 analog outputs, but the Panasonic seems to have more capabilities in that area.
Does anyone have experience with either dvd player and Kenwood 6070?

Jeffrey
jmk, there is a JVC unit that is something like $150-$250, it is the XV-SA600BK and you can find DVD comparisons at this site:
http://timefordvd.com/hardware/dvd/player/ComparisonChart.shtml

The JVC was high on my list because Costco had a version of this player that was $149, different model number of course and it was a Gold color. It has all the features packed in and the one thing I didn't learn about it was if it did audio management of speaker levels and bass management. It does DVD Audio, but not SACD. Since I have a JVC unit now, I am happy with it and feel good about JVC DVD players. The only reason I was looking was to see if I wanted to upgrade to be able to get DVD Audio, but I decided to wait since I didn't like any of the titles that are currently available. The other units just didn't seem to offer the same bang for the buck as the JVC, same reason I like the 6070.

TO: MIKE GRATIS

Great to see that you enjoy the excellent combination of the Kenwood VR-6070 and the JBL SCS-150 speaker system that my brother has as well. How is the sound quality, other than volume? In regards to the sub-woofer setup...make sure subwoofer remix is on to send all bass signal channels to the sub. Also on the JBL 10" subwoofer itself speaker level control...make sure the level is set to the mid-point mark (default best level marked with a white line).

The best way to feed video signals is directly to the TV itself and by-passing the receiver all-together...the only thing that should connect to the receiver is audio stuff only...this format achieves best picture and signal paths.
Then again it depends if you like to do video switching and your own requirements.

thanks...Michael

Jeffrey,

Thanks for the advice on 7.1.

Who ever wrote that bit about the cigarette, my wife and I just crapped our pants laughing!!!

Talk soon,

-C

Michael Herczeg:

Thanks for the input. I must have been slipping fast this morning just before I went to bed, because once I went through the Setup and made sure that the SW Remix was on, all worked as expected. I agree with you on the video signal paths going directly to the TV; but at the moment I'm using an older TV with very limited inputs. All is well, though, and I've got everything working. Of course, a TV upgrade is in the works at some point.... ;-)

As for the sound, I am VERY pleased with what I've heard so far. Mind you, I haven't finished tweaking things yet, and the surround speakers aren't located anywhere near where they should be due to Holiday decorations and the wife informing me that the living room is gonna be completely rearranged right after the Christmas tree is down, after which I'll think about getting a back surround speaker hooked up. Still, the sound is everything I expected, and I know that it'll just get better when I set everything up as it should be. Very clear, fantastic separation and dimension, and the low end can really be felt when need be. I had the Lord of the Rings DVD going and my daughter just said, "God, Dad, you really feel like you're IN the movie!" That's the point, my dear.... :)

Reed Meredith
Too Much Receiver?

My old Sony DOlby Pro Logic receiver has died and I'm looking for a replacement. The Kenwood 6070 seems like a great "bang for the buck" receiver. But for about the same price I can get the Onkyo HT650 set-up with receiver and home theater speakers ( which several have commented on here). Any advice on which way to go? I do not have a large room (12 x 25), don't need a lot of volume, and am not an audiophile. My current speakers are NHT towers, no- name rear speakers, no center channel speaker. Unfortunately, I live in a rural area and cannot just go and listed to both systems and decide as the nearest circuit city is 200mi. Any comments appreciated.

Anonymous
Welcome Reed

If you were happy with just 5.1 and are really not too concerned about sonic quality, then the Onkyo package is a good deal. There are many packages that you could get for $500. However, if you are happy with your current speakers, you might be better off buying a value reciever, and then filling out your NHT line with matching sets. If this is not an option, then get the package.

The 6070 is a be all receiver with room to grow and that is what many find valuable. The all in one packages you are looking at don't come with the best of everything, but do have good matching components. You might look for just a set of speakers/receiver and then peice out a better sub than the 8"/150W that is included in the Onkyo package. But this depends on if you really care about bass, if not, then a 150W should suit you fine. If you buy one of these packages at a place like Vann's or Crutchfield, the offer 30 day exchanges with most the items free shipping to you, so you can test the unit out and if you don't like it, return or exchange it.

Reed:

Welcome to the group.... The Onkyo HT650 is a fine rig that has gotten good reviews, and one that I had been looking at back when I was considering a HTiB setup; but the more I looked into things the more I decided that getting a separate receiver would be a much better choice in the long run. HTiB is great for short money; but expansion is limited and it doesn't always include the latest formats & technology. Since stereo equipment tends to be something that lasts quite a while (hopefully), I wanted to get something with the best and most up-to-date technology I could afford. The VR-6070 was my final choice; but the Onkyo TXSR-600 & Pioneer VXSD-811S were also in the running. Look at all of your options, read the various reviews and discussion boards, and feel free to ask questions. :)

Meanwhile, I've been playing with my 6070 since I initially got it and and found that you can hook both the CD and DVD players to the same CD/DVD source button. Plug your CD audio cables into the right & left CD/DVD inputs, then your DVD video into the DVD (RCA) input and use a digital optical cable to the CD/DVD input. The 6070 will automatically sense whether the CD or DVD is playing and all seems to work fine. :)

Reed Meredith
VR-6070 VS Onkyo HT650 Package.

Thanks for the input. Clearly the Kenwood receiver has more room for "growth" than the HTIB Onkyo system. My question is: If I really don't have room for 6 or 7 speakers i my current home set-up (sofa against the back wall and no place for extra rear speakers other than directly above your head) then is it worth the extra $ for a 6.1 system receiver?

On the Kenwood, can you run both A and B speaker sets simultaneously and/or individually?

Thanks again,

Reed

Reed:

Read previous posts in this thread regarding your questions; but, yes, I think the new technology is worth the investment (...I'm presently running "only" a 5.1 system with my sofa against a wall; but at some point will go for a 6th rear speaker) and, yes, you can run A & B simultaneously and/or individually; but with some limitations due to the very nature of Home Theater & surround sound. FYI, the HT-650 HTiB system comes with a TXSR-500 receiver (NOT the TXSR-650), if I remember right. Once again, check out the specs on each system's home site (www.kenwoodusa.com & www.onkyousa.com) and see which one would fit your needs (both now and in the future) best. If cost is a prime consideration, you might want to look at the Pioneer 811S, which I think I've seen on sale for under $300, and then you'd still have some money to add to or upgrade your exisiting speakers.

Regarding the Remote Control:

Can someone out there with an Echostar (DISH) system confirm or deny that the remote works properly? I've entered the code listed (903); but it does not seem to work with my older Model 4000. I'm wondering if the remote doesn't use RF for control of other components. My older Zenith TV doesn't work with the codes listed (107, 108), either; so maybe I'm gonna have to have it "Learn" all of my components..... Unless I'm really missing something in the given instructions....

Mike G. and others:

Has anyone found a way to toggle DVD video 'only' to your cd player?

My previous Kenwood receiver had a great option where I could play an audio cd from the 'cd' selection and rotate to any video option for viewing while keeping the cd audio.

We own the full collection of 'The Mind's Eye' computer animation DVD set, and like to play them while listening to other media. It really is a great effect and the animation always seems to match the beat of any song...adds a cool dimension to any audio track.

Anyway, I can't seem to get it to cooperate unless I go behind the 6070 and change the wiring and change back when done...Not exactly what we had hoped for...

Beyond this unique quirk, we absolutely LOVE this receiver...watched 'Windtalkers' Saturday night and both my wife and I repeatly leapt out of our seats when the bombs exploded. We couldn't believe the realism! We have both watched movies where there is a knock at the door and we get up to answer our door forgetting that it is part of the movie! During 'Father of the Bride II' there is a scene where it starts raining...our daughter went to the window looking for the storm! - Best money we have spent in a long time...

Any ideas or suggestions on the cd audio/dvd video thing would be appreciated...

Tom D. Trimble

Tom Trimble:

Offhand, I can't see a way of the 6070 doing what you ask; but I'll give it some thought. What you're asking seems to be in conflict with the Home Theater way of doing things. Unless you could plug the DVD video directly into your monitor (by-passing the 6070) and then use the 6070 to listen to whatever you wanted.

As for the realism, I know what you mean. We were watching a movie late the other night when she asked, "Who the heck would be calling you on your cell phone at this hour of the night?" My cell phone was on top of the home entertainment stand; but she didn't realize that it was shut off and the cell phone sound was coming from the movie. Gotta love it! :)

Ken Hanks
Does anyone know if the VR-6070 will work OK with 6 ohm speakers? I have a new Jamo speaker HT-surround set. The Front L&R satellites and the rear surround satellites (L & R) are 6 ohm. The center is an 8 ohm. The subwoofer is a 10-inch, 100-watt powered unit. The Jamo speaker rep said they'd used them with all kinds of receivers with no problems, but there's a lot of experience on this board and I wanted to see what you people thought. Think I'll be OK? (not too much overheating?).

Tim P
Ken you should be ok with the 6ohm speakers, stuff rated at 4ohms I might worry about, but I wouldn't sweat the 6ohm ones.

I've just ordered (from Vanns) a Kenwood VR-6070 a/v receiver and a JBL SCS150SI 5.1 speaker system. I've laid out all the speaker cable runs, except for the subwoofer, so I can get the components up and running as soon as they arrive. I used 14 gauge speaker wire from Home Depot ($36/250').

I've downloaded and browsed the manuals and, being a novice. I have several questions regarding the subwoofer hookup:

The 6070 manual doesn't mention specifically whether the pre-amp subwoofer output is an LFE connection, but the manual does mention that the receiver can detect an LFE signal and show its presence with a visual indicator. My first question is whether to connect the 6070 subwoofer pre-amp out to the subwoofer's LFE input or to its RCA line inputs?

If I use the LFE input, what kind of cable should I use? I researched cables a little and have found that special RCA interconnect cables are available for subwoofers. Are these cables just better quality than normal RCA audio cables or are they spec-wise significantly different? Can I use regular RCA patch cables but suffer compromised performance?

If I use the subwoofer's RCA line inputs, the speaker manual says that I must use a y-cable to split the one receiver pre-amp output into two cables for the subwoofer's two RCA line inputs. In looking for cables, while I found special subwoofer interconnect cables, I didn't find any special y-cables. If the special cables are either required or much preferred for the subwoofer, wouldn't any gain be nullified by using a standard y-cable? Can special subwoofer y-cables be purchased?

How have the people with the same configuration as mine configured the speakers and specifically the subwoofer from the 6070's menu system?

Will the subwoofer function with any audio signal processed by the 6070 or will it function only with a Dolby Prologic and/or DTS input signal? If I'm playing music from an FM station or from a CD can I expect to hear bass from the subwoofer regardless of the way its cabled and configured?

This board has been a great resource in helping me to choose components that fit my budget and will (hopefully) perform up to my expectations.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Doug

Ken Hanks
Tim P,,
Thanks for your response. I did finally get a Kenwood tech person on the phone. He told me (pretty emphatically) that the VR-6070 should NOT be used with 6 ohm speakers. That being said, he didn't know what kind of speakers they were, and I HAVE heard from all the Kenwood re-sellers that it shouldn't be a problem. I also called the company that sold me the Jamos, and they said it would not be a problem (they said the speakers would work with ANY receiver), but they dogged Kenwood and wanted to 'up' me to H/K. So, bottom line is I think I'm just going to pick one up and run it a couple of weeks and see how hot it gets, etc. I'm betting I keep it.

Doug.. i'd hold for that answer.. i'd help but i know nothing about it since i use a passive subwoofer.

Ken, heh not a big deal.. If the reciever cant handle it you will know cause the receiver will shut itself off if it gets overloaded or too hot with its built-in security features. Have fun wtih it! enjoy..

Doug Miller:

I recently got the same system you just ordered. The subwoofer uses the LFE connection, and I just used a standard RCA line to hook it up. As for configuration, read the past posts about halfway through this thread - Things were covered pretty well. :) This whole thread makes for some very interesting reading, anyway. If you have a specific question (or two ), feel free to ask. The subwoofer works great - All the Home Theater Dolby & DTS modes are fantastic, while I've found both the DTS Neo 6 and SRS Circle Surround II to be great for listening to music and DISH broadcasts.

Anonymous
For those newbies using Internet explorer on this board who are asking redundant questions (which is understandable as long as this thread has gotten) you should try the Cntrl+F combo, or control find and then type in a word like 4ohm or subwoofer and you will find lots of past topic conversation regarding these latest few questions.

Hello John Briggs it's Brian W again long time no talk.....Your word to me is like the prophecies of MOSES...golden....You have helped me to reach the optimal sound i was searching for and i just want to say thanks......I have one final question.....What mode do i use to get the night-time listener settings.....(I'm to lazy to peruse the manual).....Thanks again

Brian W

Oh yeah and John Hackman Too!!!! Thanks didn't want to leave you out....hehehe

Brian W

David Dobsky
Hello, I am considering the 6070 and wonder if the single surround back output is sufficient for acheiving the additional surround effect as opposed to the two surround back channels. I know I can run the pre out of the SB channels to another amp but I would prefer to stay with the one unit. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

David Dobsky
Does the 6070 remember the surround settings for a given input as some Denon units do? For instance, if you had a CD set for Pro Logic II, would it go back to Prologic II when another CD was played? Thanks

rim
Hello,
What would happen I hook up DVD to VR6070 via digital coax and 6 channel input? Wouldn't I be able to listen to audio CD and Audio DVD through 6 channel source for "warmer" sound, and play DVD movies and sounds through DVD/CD source (connected digitally) for various surround settings? I got my VR6070 two weeks ago but I only have 2 speakers so far. I have an Aperion 5.1 sw12 system arriving tomorrow. I can't wait.

Rim

Well, reading this forum I can be happy to have bought one of the best receivers so far...
I've spent already 2 hours reading it, and maybe I'll spend few more, but since I just bought my HT System and I'm in a hurry to hook uo everything, I have a question (of course...).
I have a Bose Acoustimass 10 Serie III tha of course works as all the other Acoustimass: the active subwoofer takes all the 5+1 channels from the receiver and all the loudspeakers are then connected to the subwoofer. Now, on the Bose manual it says to set the speakers to LARGE, which of course does sound strange to me. In the Kenwood manual it says that if you set the speakers to LARGE than no sound will be heard from the subwoofer, unless you set SURR RE-MIX ON; other wise you can set the speakers to NML/THX and have the sound from the subwoofer (but it says then nothing whether SURR RE-MIX should be ON or OFF).
So, the question is: which one of the following 3 possible settings is the correct one?
1. SPEAKERS LARGE, SURR RE-MIX ON
2. SPEAKERS NML/THX, SURR RE-MIX ON
3. SPEAKERS NML/THX, SURR RE-MIX OFF

Thanks in advance

jmk
Brian W, I believe you are referring to the "midnight" setting (Dolby Digital only), reacheable by pressing the menu sound button and scrolling through the options.

jmk
David Dobsky, according to pages 9 and 36 of the manual the receiver remembers the settings if input is set to manual mode instead of Auto, but might not be 100% foolproof.

David Dobsky:

The single back surround speaker will work just fine and give the desired effect, as that's what 6.1 refers to, anyway (Front Left, Center & Right, Surround Left & Right, and Surround Back equals 6, plus Subwoofer makes .1); though you'll see reference to splitting the Surround Back into Left and Right, and referring to this as 7.1 . Gets confusing, eh? :) And, yes, the 6070 remembers the modes that are set to each input.

Gandalf:

Hopefully, someone out there with a Bose system can give you direct input (I've got a JBL SCS150); but my gut feeling would be to go with the recommendations that Kenwood gives you and what I have mine set to; Speakers Normal/THX and Re-Mix On.

Others:

Still no input noted on my Remote questions 16 posts back....? I was sure someone out there had mentioned being a DISH customer....

John K.
Gandalf, I believe that in your post the surround mix got mixed-up with the subwoofer re-mix(no pun intended). You meant, of course, to refer to the SW re-mix. When the other speakers are set "small"(NML/THX on the 6070)the bass below about 80hz from those other speakers is automatically directed to the sub out. The only purpose of the SW re-mix is to direct that bass also to the sub when the front speakers are set "large"; otherwise none of that bass would go to the sub and the front speakers alone would carry the burden. So, when speakers are set NML,as they should almost always be(regardless of how big they are) when a good sub is being used, the SW re-mix can be left off,since the bass is already being directed to the sub output.

John K.
Gandalf, I should also add that if the Bose sub doesn't have a provision for receiving the output from the sub out on the 6070, then regular speaker wire has to be used instead from the speaker terminals on the 6070. Then, the "large" setting would be necessary in order for the bass to be delivered through the speaker terminals rather than the(now unused)sub out. Again, the SW re-mix is unnecessary and can be left off.

John K,
u'r rite: I emant SW RE-MIX but I was so confused...
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, the SURR RE-MIX is active only if SB is ON, is it rite?

Anyway, I'll set my speakers to NML and SW to OFF (and I understand that this is how it should ALWAYS be with a powerful active subwoofer).

Regarding the wires, my subwoofer has the wire for the sub pre out on the receiver, so no problem.

Admin (Admin)
>> Next Page
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us