Kenwood VR-6070 THX/DPL2. Anyone has this unit? (Page 5)

John Hackman
Kent: I have a Sansung HDTV 16:9 55", the VR6070, and a Toshiba 4700 PS. Regarding Progressive signal, I used both before. From the DVD to the VR6070, and then to the HDTV. I am using 480p, not 1024, so could not tell you about HDTV 1024. But the 480p gave a good picture quality. I actually don't see the difference btw the DVD->VR6070->HDTV compared to the DVD->HDTV.
I am now using direct connect from DVD->HDTV using Monster Progressive Cable3 (bypassing the receiver).

-John

J Hackman

here is a link to crutchfield.com that says to tranmit a hdtv pic that the receiver has to have the bandwith of 20 mhz or more the 6070 is 10 mhz. by the way bought the receiver anyway absoulutely love it. heres that link
http://www.crutchfield.com/.../receivers_glossary.html

Anonymous
THX® Select and THX® Ultra

Unlike THX Surround EX, THX Select and THX Ultra are not surround sound formats. Rather, they are sets of performance standards developed by the engineers at Lucasfilm to ensure excellent audio/video reproduction in cinemas and home theater settings.

Let me rephrase...I have 5 spaeakers 3 up front and 2 in the back. I don't have a surround back speaker just the l/r surround.....Which would be the best .Setting the Mix Surround to YES or No and it seems when i set SW REMIX to YES the SUBWOOFER really booms with the remix on ( have sub hooked through sub output split with monster y cable) Which is the best way to optimize my system

Frank Brown
Got my 6070 yesterday from Best Buy $509, set it up last night and it is night and day over my sony 835. My Sting dvd, (Brand new Day) now plays as it should, before the sound would fade in and out, I replaced the DVD twice thinking that was the problem. I like the auto decect mode when inputing a source and it works in all modes including DTS and THX, try playing the Eagles DVD, it is DTS and as far as I am concerned is the best DTS DVD.
One thing though is the remote will not operate my Denon DVD player 9000, any one have codes for denon DVDS. The tuner side of the receiver is awful, cannot get reception, but it might be location, but why play the radio.
All in all a great buy, I was surprised how many DVDs I had that were dts and thx,

ken
Frank Brown : does thx come up on display
[IN BLUE ] or just the orange indicator
LIGHT or how did you know that THX was activated.

Hello again Brian W,

Sorry about the confusion regarding the rear center speaker, I must have been looking at someone else's comments.

If you are not using the 6th binding post channel in any way, Turn the SW REMIX to "OFF" because you are not using the 6th channel binding post for a sub. In the speaker setup for "6-CHANNEL AMP", set the 6-channel amp to "OFF" for a 5.1 setup using the sub pre-out with coaxial cable.

6-CHANNEL AMP in the "Top Menu Set Up" is referring to the 6TH Binding post ONLY, giving you the option to select settings for using a passive sub, rear center speaker, or no speaker.

SURR: "MIX OFF' or "MIX ON". Set this to: "MIX OFF". This portion of the speaker set-up is also referring to the 6TH binding post. If you are not using this 6TH post, it makes sense to tell the receiver "MIX OFF" since you are not using it.

Hope this clarifies things for you.

Regards, John B.

Greg Naylor
I am getting ready to purchase the VR-6070 and I have a question. Does this unit have A/B parallel set up for front speakers? Can I run two sets of fronts as well as my center and surrounds while in surround mode? It is unclear if it has the capability of running A/B simultaniously. My problem is I have a large set of DCMs as well as some bose bookshelves I want to run as my fronts.
If this reciever does not do it, what one does or can I rig this one and share the power between the two sets of fronts????
Any help would be great!!
Thanks,
Greg Naylor

Hello Greg Naylor, and welcome!

Q: Can I run two sets of fronts as well as my center and surrounds while in surround mode?

A: Yes you can. =]

Q: can I rig this one and share the power between the two sets of fronts????

A: Not Recommended. =(

There are stipulations to using A and B speakers at the same time.

1: You will not be able to use "B" speakers while monitoring SACD or DVD-AUDIO playback.

2: When you are monitoring 2-channel stereo sources such as your CD player, VCR, or FM receiver, you will loose the ability to change your listen mode from stereo, to Pro Logic II, NEO 6, or CS II to obtain 5 or 6-channel surround, unless you turn off "B" speakers.

3: While watching a DVD in either Dolby 5.1 or DTS, speakers "B" do work, but at a lower volume level as opposed to listening in stereo.

4: If you plan on using 7.1, or any of the "Pre-outs" you can not use "B" speakers. If you do select "B" speakers, none of the "Pre-outs will transmit sound.

Your best bet is to use the FRONT left and right "Pre-outs" on the back of the 6070, and connect them to another receiver/or amplifier for your second set of front speakers. This way, you can easily adjust the bass, treble, and volume sent to these smaller speakers.

The Master volume control on the 6070 does apply to any and all of the "Pre-outs". So, once you set the volume on your second amp, the 6070 will control volume levels for both sets of front speakers.

Let us know what you decide Greg.

=]

frank
thx does not come up in blue as the dvd is dts, but watched star wars last night and thx in blue

KEN
Frank:....did it show [DOLBY D EX ] or [ THX ]
if it showed [ THX ] then i think i have it
hooked up wrong or somthing im not doing something right.i keep seeing
[ DIALNORM OFFSET + 4 ]
THANKS

Kent
John,
Will the 6070 remote control work on your Samsung HDTV? I have the same model and have had to return a few learning remotes because they will not learn the factory Samsung HDTV remote.

John Hackman
Kent, yes my 6070 remote works on my Samsung HDTV but very limited, the controls are in the middle of the remote. Since the remote does not controls all the TV features, I had to make it learned additional commands. But I found the Samsung Remote Control better when using the TV. Just personal...

-John

Kent
Did you have any problems getting the 6070 remote to learn any functions from the Samsung remote? As I said before I have returned a few learning remotes because of this. Will really be a plus if I can use the 6070 remote for the TV as well.
Have decided to purchase the 6070 this Thursday. Thanks to all who have answered my questions on this board. Very friendly folks here that have been a great source of information.

Hi guy, this is dhar... .i was having problems earlier with my VR-6070 shutting off when i tried to turn it up load.... many suggested that this resulted from the speakers i was using and possibly because the low guage wire i was using... i was advised to test the system by disconnecting some of the speakers and then turning it up loud.. but that didnt work either ... i am plannin on replacing what i had:

my present system:
Front Center: Pioneer S-DC1-K (Power resistance is 15-100W and Impedance is 8ohms)
Front Left/Right: Pioneer Floor Standing 3-ways (150W Max Power and Impedance is 6ohms)
Rear Left/Right: Bose 141 (information of the back of the speakers stated -- amplifier rated 10-80W per channel reated from 4-8ohms -- max continuous power per I.E.C.: 40W)
Rear Center: Boston Acoustic CR2 (8ohms)
Powered Sub: Boston Acoustic CR400 (i think it is 75W and 8 inch woofer)...

with another set of speakers , but i am on a tight budget... i was thinking of buying the KLH HTA-9706 from bsless.com... its 5 speakers plus a powered subwoofer....its for $122. i am still going to use the same center channel and the rear center, .... i wanted to get some oppnion on whether i should by them or not.... i am hoping replacing the speakers would stop the problem of my receiver shutting off... so if you can suggest me what to do .. i would really appreciate it.... thanks

OK..ive been tracking this board since it started (its great). 1 question...is the VR-6070 worth the "down the street" RETAIL price of $599 ??

Red
Thanks for all the info. Appreciated.

Thanks for the info on the subject Kenwood model. It will really help me a lot for finding a suitable product for me.
Thank you all for sharing your views.

Asitava

Thanks John you got my surround SW remix on and off question nicely. Now one last thing. I have a powered sub hooked through the subwoofer out which sounds great. For the SW REMIX should it be set to ON or OFF.....Thanks again John

Hello Brian,

If you are not using the 6th binding post channel in any way, Turn the SW REMIX to "OFF" because you are not using the 6th channel binding post for a sub. In the speaker setup for "6-CHANNEL AMP", set the 6-channel amp to "OFF" for a 5.1 speaker setup using the sub pre-out with a coaxial cable.

If you want big bass sound using the sub pre-out, go into the test tone portion of the speaker setup and select "manual tone". Increase the default level to +7 or so, and that should do it.

I would like to say "You're Welcome" to everyone who has thanked me for my input. I am happy to help out. =] Regards, John B. / machinist68

I'm planning on using the same speaker for my rear center, as I use for the surrounds. Is matching all three rear speakers the way to go or should you use a center channel speaker for the rear center?

So the subwoofer coax pre-out is not considered the 6th binding post. Anything hooked to the zone b or front 6th binding post needs to be added to the SW or Surround remix settings......I think thats right. What do you consider the 6th binding post? I think thats where i'm grazing off in another pasture. Just clarify that for me John and i think i will reach a clarified state of divine concord.....heheh

Thanks again John

Brian

THX FOR THE FEEDBACK....I GUESS THAT SAYS IT ALL.I GUESS ITS NOT AS GOOD AS I THOUGHT.. I'LL FIND SOMETHING BETTER THAN THE VR.....

THX AGAIN!!!!!!

Anonymous
YOU DO THAT jaques I GUESS YOU CAN'T READ EITHER..

Anonymous
Hey Guys great forum
i have been reading posts for the past few days
and i have decided to buy my 6070 from Vanns.com
just one thing today i go to their site to order and now its no longer 436.00 like it was on monday
no they want the full retail of $599!!i guess they were reading this forum too and decided to cash in.any other sites where i can pick this up for less then 500??thanks guys keep up the good work

Mary
One of the ones mentioned above...www.discount-electronic.com has it for $425.00 without shipping. I don't know what the shipping would be to your part of the world. I'm thinking about buying one myself there, but I'm a big chicken when it comes to turning loose that kind of $$$. If you get it there, let us know about your experience!

Eric Chyo
Buy your receiver from www.crazyeddie.com Get your price for the receiver plus shipping from discount-elctronic.com and then call www.crazyeddie.com and they will beat that price for sure. That's what I did for my VR-6070 and I had a good experience. Their shipping took a little longer than normal, but it wasn't too bad. Otherwise, I would highly recommend them.

John Briggs
MJ SHOW has the 6070 @ $444.00 now... here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1394574406

Enjoy, John B.

Larry
Hi jaques. I will give you my opinion and answer your question, as nobody else has. This unit IS worth the $599 retail price that you were inquiring about. I picked up this unit from CC and i must say that I do not regret it one bit. Many of my friends have "higher" end units from Yamaha to Onkyo and Denon. They were truly amazed at the caliber of this unit for the price. One of them still had a 30-day exchange option and opted to swap-out his $1200 unit and exchange it for this one. Do your homework, but definitely keep this one on "must see" list. As for the "anonymous" ,,reply ..jaques simply stated that he had gotten no response, therefore he assumed that it probably was not worth it. If you would have read his prior posting, you would not have answered in such a rude manner. It seems to me that you are the one who cannot read.

Greetings. I ordered the VR-6070 on 9/17 and am still waiting for delivery...stumbled across this discussion last weekend and just finished reading all the entries today. Wanted to share with everyone how excited I am to have bought this unit...and how reassuring it has been to read everyone's comments. (waiting almost two months for shipment was beginning to make me very nervous!)

I do, however, have two questions about the wiring:

1.) My primary goal is optimal home theater on a budget. Our Bose speakers have been retired to another room and replaced with the Klipsch Quintets and a new Klipsch center. Through patience on e-bay, was able to buy all five speakers for about $260.00. (Sound like $1000 plus) ..but onto my question... For our living room, would like to use our old center channel as the rear center, but also have a powered sub. (total of 7 speakers with sub) Is this possible and recommended? Is there a better configuration available given my situation?

2.) Our DVD player (JVC XV-501BK) has component video, composite video, and s-video terminals. It is not new, but does have optical digital outputs for PCM, Dolby Digital and DTS. ...did not see anything to confirm output for digital coax output. Is that the same as composite video? Confused about which method is best for our DVD player to connect to 6070 receiver given some of the prior postings and my unfamiliarity with Dolby Digital, DTS, THX, etc. Do not own HDTV so that is not an issue yet. I ordered a 3' component video cable at the same time I ordered the new receiver. Will it be okay? Can it function as a digital coax cable?

Again, very excited about this unit and happy to have found a resource to share in this enthusiasm! I have learned a lot just reading the postings and would appreciate any feedback helpful to our cause.

Kind regards,

Tom D. Trimble

John Briggs
Hello and welcome Tom Trimble,

Q: I would like to use our old center channel as the rear center, but also have a powered sub. (total of 7 speakers with sub) Is this possible and recommended?

A: Yes, it is possible and recommended as long as your couch is not located up against the back wall (right where your rear center speaker will be mounted).

Q: Is there a better configuration available given my situation?

A: You could also use that old stereo receiver with a pair of speakers to utilize a 7.1 speaker set-up in place of just one rear center speaker (6.1 set-up).

Q: I did not see anything to confirm output for digital coax output. Is that the same as composite video?

A: The digital coaxial output on the back of your DVD player does look like a composite/RCA jack, although it does not carry a video signal. Rather it carries digital sound to the receiver so the receiver can decode the signal to a 2.0, 5.1,6.1, or 7.1 sound track.

Q: I ordered a 3' component video cable at the same time I ordered the new receiver. Will it be okay? Can it function as a digital coax cable?

A: The component cable is fine assuming you will hook it up to the TV and not the 6070, in witch case you will need two component cables. As far as using the component cable in place of a digital coaxial cable, it will work but it is not recommended. Like S-video cables, component cables are for carrying video signals only.

Feel free to leave any more questions or comments you may have.

Regards, John B. =]

John Briggs
Hello again Brian,

If you will turn with me now to page 16 of your owners manual... Sounds like my 7th grade teacher... =] At the top of the page it shows you how to strip the speaker wire and connect the wire to the speaker terminals (binding posts).

The 6th binding post, is the "REAR CENTER" speaker terminal output (6.1 speaker set-up) marked "SURROUND BACK/SUBWOOFER". The 6070 gives you the option to select settings for using a passive sub, rear center speaker, or no speaker using these posts.

This speaker terminal/binding post, is where the 6th-channel decoding signal from EX and ES sources comes into play for a rear center surround speaker (6.1) or, a 5.1 set-up using the "SW REMIX ON" and a passive/non-powered sub (without the coaxial cable).

Q: Anything hooked to the zone b or front 6th binding post needs to be added to the SW or Surround remix settings......I think thats right.

A: Take some time and read through your owner's manual to familiarize yourself with your 6070 and don't be afraid to experiment with the controls. Have fun with it... Once you learn how the signals pass through the 6070, you will get the most enjoyment out of your unit.

Good luck! =]

John B.,

Thank you so much for the quick reply.

Q.) When they (JVC DVD)states 'composite video output'...do they mean 'digital coax cable'? If so, it sounds like I need to go ahead and buy a digital coax cable for optimal results.

Q.) Can you help me visualize placement of speakers for 7.1 vs. 6.1? Would this require locating left and right speakers at a mid-point between the front speakers and rear surrounds...or does it actually replace the rear center? I have read some prior postings that make reference to using a second receiver, but would appreciate a clear understanding of speaker requirements. Our couch is not against the back wall so a rear center should be okay.

I am looking forward to the arrival of our new receiver and sharing my continued experience with this upgrade...it is supposed to ship on the 15th of November.

Q.) By the way, some people have made reference to some DVD's that are particularly good with this receiver. Just curious if anyone would be willing to offer some suggestions that help reflect the quality of the audio as buying movies will be our next big project.

Will follow-up again after shipment,

Tom

RED
Hello to all again. Bought the VR6070 and am confused about sub hookup (a polk sub). Polk says to run the fronts thru the sub and wire the sub to the receiver. The Kenwood manual suggests something else. Suggestions?

John Briggs
Hello Red,

It depends on how you are going to hook up the sub, I.E. using a coaxial cable, or using speaker wire.

Hook the coaxial cable up to your Polk using the LEFT composite RCA jack, (typically the left side is the "MONO" input for most composite inputs) and the other side to the 6070's "sub pre out".

Using the remote, press the "Top Menu Set Up" button. The first thing you should see is: 6ch AMP, with two flashing letters that say: "SB", "SW", or "OFF". Set this to 'OFF".
You can get a "Y" adapter from Monster if you like to use both left and right inputs on your sub.

For speaker wire using the Hi level stereo inputs on the Polk, do the following:

Run some speaker cable from your Polk to the 6th binding post, (the"REAR CENTER" speaker terminal output) marked "SURROUND BACK/SUBWOOFER".

Using the remote, press the "Top Menu Set Up" button. The first thing you should see is: 6ch AMP, with two flashing letters that say: "SB", "SW", or "OFF". Set this to 'SW". Then go into the "Speaker Setup" and select SUBWOOFER REMIX "ON". Save your settings and see how it sounds!

Hope that helps you. Regards, John B.

RED
John

Thanks. Do I run the speaker wire from the Right or Left inputs??

John Briggs
Hello Tom,

Q: 'composite video output'...do they mean 'digital coax cable'?

A: No, they are talking about standard RCA cables, like the ones you would hook up a VCR to a TV with (three connectors: 1 for video, and 2 for left and right audio).

Q: Q.) Can you help me visualize placement of speakers for 7.1 vs. 6.1?

A: Your rear surround speakers will be placed on your side walls towards the rear of your sound stage facing each other about three feet above your head while sitting.

The 7.1 stereo speakers do take the place of the 6th rear center speaker, and these speakers are centered on the back wall facing the front speakers about 4 to 5 feet apart from each other depending on room size.

You will need an additional receiver or amplifier for 7.1 listening enjoyment, but it is worth the effort. After all, why buy a THX receiver if your not going to enjoy the full benefit of having it?

Just about everything you asked about is in the 6070's user guide: 7.1 speaker placement, connections, ECT.

Let us know when it arrives!

Best Regards, John B.

John Briggs
RED,

The left side is typically the mono input. =]

Please help:

I have the Kenwood THX receiver all wired up to the speakers. I was told the only connection needed to run my DVD player through the surround system was a digital co-axial cable.
I got no sound this way. Do the channels at the rear of the DVD player need to be connected to the DVD channels on the receiver for sound and will this sound be digital if the digital cable is hooked up as well?
Thank-you

Hi all, I am strongly considering purchasing the VR 6070 to replace a 70's vintage Kenwood KR 7200. My question concerns the hookups and operation.
1. Can I play the unit using the stereo peakers I currenty have without having to hook up the others? I guess it would be stereo mode>
2. I currenty hook my audio cables from my VCR Cassette and DVD using rca style connectors. Are they still being used? The VCR and Cassete have audio in and out jacks.
Thanks Bob

GCB
Bob Mac - 1. Yes you can, and yes stereo mode is the way. Be prepared to play around to find the best sound setup for your speaker/player combo. I have put various sources through my Kenwood and hooked up various speakers. The varying results are quite surprising. The best stereo sound I have got is great. The three buttons at the very bottom of the remote are for tweaking stereo sound. One suggestion, even if you don't want to go the whole kit, try and grab a cheap centre speaker and play a bit of music in 'jazz club' setting. At the right volume, its a nice sound. Make sure SW is turned to off position if you dont use a sub woofer.
2. Yes the RCA's are still being used if that is your choice. Even though many here talk of digital setup's, I mostly use six channel rca inputs for a better surround dispersion and a nice warm music sound. - This is only availiable if your player has this option. You can also run both video cables through the receiver and then into one out to the monitor/TV if you wish instead of the DVD video rca through the VCR to the monitor. This way you wont require your video on just to get a video signal from your DVD. Tip - If you want to use RCA, spend a bit on some good leads.

John Briggs
Hello Cindy,

To get sound using the digital coax cable only, you need to start playback of the DVD player, select DVD as your input source on the receiver.
Then push the button on the remote that says "INPUT MODE" repeatedly until you get to the corresponding "INPUT" that you are using IE coaxial, FULL AUTO, analog, optical, ECT.

Full auto works well, this should get you on your way!

Enjoy, John B.

All...unless I am mistaken, the multizone allows listening to the same source in two rooms but not two separate sources. If I am wrong and it does allow two simultaneous sources, how on earth do you select the source for the room b output??

Dharm
Dear John,
I just recently bought KLH SS-025 (5 speakers for $81) to replace my older speakers and they truly sound amazing. I can now turn the speakers up even louder then before; however, the speakers do shut off if I go too loud. The KLH speakers that are being used are 100W with 8om impendence, same goes for the pioneer center channel (all connected with 18gaugewire). I was curious to know if the subwoofer could be the problem, its a Boston accoustic (Subwoofer Amplifier Power: 75 watts Continuous 4om ( .15% THD @ 60 watts, 4om, 25-200hz), because the receiver seems to shut off only when there is sudden bass or too much bass. i would think that the subwoofer wouldnt matter because its being powered by it self and not the reveiver....and last thing i wanted to ask you was that, do i need to connect the subwoofer through a digital coax or a regular RCA would be fine... so if u could please help me John i would really appreciate it. ... thanks dhar

Thanks GCB for answering my message. I have ordered the unit and will have it soon. If I use both the coaxial and optical leads on my DVD does that mean I do not need to use the rca style audio output jacks on the dvd player? And will that setup also work for cd's?

Frank
in dts mode and dolby digital 5.1, my swoofer is not lighting up, but when in other modes it does. When i do the tone test it works. Anybody enlighten me on this please.

Great forum... absolutely love it. I recently purchased the unit at Best Buy for $427 (price match vs 6th Ave), and got a $50 gift card -- great deal.

My Question to John Briggs, or anyone else willing to lend a hand:

- I have the Acousitmass 15 Series II speakers, and was thinking about buying the upgrade kit which would give me a center surround speaker (for 6.1). However, I noticed you said you recommend 6.1 as long as your couch is not up against the back wall. My couch is against the back wall, so I was just hoping to hook the speakers up above the couch, and have the point back into the wall at 45 degree angles (think of the letter 'V' -- there's two small speakers on each cube, one would face back left, the other back right). Do you think I should go ahead and get the speaker, or stick with 5.1? Bose says their speakers are great for reflecting, so that's why I was going to face the back speaker to the wall -- it's how they have it in their show room (not facing DIRECTLY at the wall, but at the 45 deg angle).

Your help is greatly appreciated.

I am a proud owner of the aforementioned VR 6070 just like everyone else, but I was reluctant about getting the receiver because several posts on this board stated that DTS or DTS-ES would not work with a single optical connection. I don't have a dvd player that has a digital coaxial output, only optical. Well, after receiving my unit (serial # is in the range 209002XX)I tried getting DTS to work with the optical cable and lo and behold it works! Both DTS (Shrek) and DTS-ES (Gladiatior) both work without having digital coaxial hooked up, using only the optical connection and Full Auto detect. Maybe some of the newer units were revised so that optical would pick up DTS without a digital coaxial(like most others mine was backordered for a while. But since DTS works, I am certainly glad I had to wait...) Anyway, thanks to everyone on this board who helped make my receiver buying decision a lot easier and for helping me setup my unit (My audio levels finally stay in memory after reading the Test Tone post further up on this board)

I preface this post by saying I am somewhat new to home theater hookup. I recently purchased the Kenwood VR-6070 Receiver. I love the unit, but I have been having some trouble lately getting the unit to accept Dobly Digital & DTS from DVD's that I am playing from my Sony DVP-NC655P Player.

I am using the Men In Black DVD in the player and I have set the DVP Player & the Disc to Dolby Digital 5.1. The Dobly Digital Source is lit on the front screen on the DVD player.

I have the VR-6070 set to Full Auto and it is connected to the DVD Player via digital optical cable. The video however is only connected via a standard video cable because I have no S-video on my TV. I am connected via Video 3 on the receiver. The Full Auto is detecting the optical connection because it is listed in the display.

However, when I try to set the listen mode to Dobly Digital the only choices I seem to get are the analog and digital choices but nothing for Dobly Digital. The red or orange indicator light is also not on. To note though I only have my front speakers hooked up right now. I am not sure if this has anything to do with it.

Any help would be appreciated. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or what.

Thanks in advance for any help

Mary
Gatisimo or anyone else who can answer,

I was wondering how you got Best Buy to negotiate with you. Did you go through their web site or did you go in person to a store? I'd greatly appreciate any advice anyone could give as I would prefer to buy from an authorized dealer without paying the retail price...

Thanks!

Admin (Admin)
>> Next Page
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us