Kenwood VR-6070 THX/DPL2. Anyone has this unit? (Page 4)

Gregg H.
Thank you Alford Holland. BTW I have the 6060 but your answer still applies. After I read through the manual a second time (instead of skimming it the 1st time) I found were it talks about the temporary setting and the test tone settings. Thanks again

John B regarding these instructions...

"I am using the 6th binding post channel of the 6070 for passive/Hi power output to my Atlantic Technology POWERED sub using the Hi level stereo inputs. For this type of set-up, do the following:

Using the remote, press the "Top Menu Set Up" button. The first thing you should see is: 6ch AMP, with two flashing letters that say: "SB", "SW", or "OFF". Set this to 'SW". Then go into the "Speaker Setup" and select SUBWOOFER REMIX "ON". "

These instructions would also apply for speaker setup using a passive sub in a regular 5.1 set up: FL, C, FR, SL, SR, SW right?

I have a Toshiba 4700 that plays DVD-Audio. I would only hook up this DVD player to DVD/SixCh Input to play DVD audio discs right?...or will this input enhance regular CD playback as well? Also, it sounds like you are recommending six seperate digital coaxial cables over RCA cables for this connection. if hooking up six channel input are you recommending

GCB (from Sept 20) Finally have my system set up but need to correct a set up problem. I initally hooked up my Toshiba 4700 w/ component video into Video 3 In component input along with Video 3 optical digital in and only got PL II, not even DD. Tonight I'll be changing to DVD In component video in along with DVD digital coaxial in. I hope this solves my problem and lets me get Dolby Digital etc. Still waiting for pair of JBL's to go 6.1 speaker set-up.

TIA for your answers. I appreciate very much your input as well as the input of others. This forum is definitely special.

regards,
Steve Mac

Hello Steve Mac,

Your Question:
These instructions would also apply for speaker setup using a passive sub in a regular 5.1 set up: FL, C, FR, SL, SR, SW right?

That is correct.

I have a Toshiba 4700 that plays DVD-Audio. I would only hook up this DVD player to DVD/SixCh Input to play DVD audio discs right?...or will this input enhance regular CD playback as well?

Yes Steve, using this set-up will allow you to play CD's while sending bass frequencies to your sub (enhance regular CD playback).

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this:

Also, it sounds like you are recommending six seperate digital coaxial cables over RCA cables for this connection. if hooking up six channel input are you recommending

I am recommending these cables for 6-channel input to the 6070:
Three, 2 foot Canare LV-77S stereo pair, RCA/RCA,
They cost $144.00 and free shipping to USA from Cable Solutions Ebay Store. Follow this link...

http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=8174502

These cables are digital grade coaxial cable and come fitted with Canare's true 75ohm connectors.
Remember... what you put into it, is what you will get out of it. =)

Hope this helps you, John B.

John Hackman
Has anyone got and tried the free DVD demo from Kennwood? They use to give it free but I don't know if they still do. You will get new product info as well as THX sound demo and music demo. Great to test your Kenwood receiver... You may request it directly at Kenwood.

-John

John Hackman
Question about Surround Remix ON on the VR-6070. When playing 5.1 movie, I never hear the surround back speaker. So I enabled the surround remix ON which enable the back speaker by mixing the SL & SR (on a 5.1 config.).

My question now is if I play a 6.1 encoded movie, am I going to hear a remix of my SR & SL remix (5.1) or dedicated back speaker (6.1)?

Thanks

-John

Has anyone had any experience assembling digital coaxial cables? The bulk material to make these cables is inexpensive ($0.25/ft for Canare LV-61S cable and $2.25 - $2.50 for Canare 75 ohm RCA plugs).

Stephen MacDonald
John Briggs...thanks for your answers, that helps. The part that you didn't understand was because I left a hanging sentence fragment, but you got the gist of the question.

Followup question; clarification re: DVD-A playback:

"The Kenwood VR6070 will definitely provide evrything you asked for in your message above. As far as connections for your SACD player to the VR6070, you will need to get 6 seprate digital coax cables. SACD output of your SONY will not be present via toslink optical, or single coax cable.
(I say get 6 SEPRATE DIGITAL COAX CABLES because anything less, like 3 stereo pairs of RCA cables will just degrade the pure sound of the SACD player)"

Would you change from the Canare LV-77S stereo pair, RCA/RCA cables to 6 seperate coax cables for DVD-A playback or would the Canares RACA/RCA's still be the way to go?

Thanks again :)

Steve Mac

John Hackman
Steve Mac. I think I had a similar question to John B. before. I also have the Toshiba 4700 DVD and the VR-6070. What I understood is going 6 seperate coax for DVD-A instead of RCA Stereo Pair.

-John

Alford Holland
John Briggs, why do you recommend using digital coax cables for SACD. I thought that this was an analog signal from the player to the 6070. I am trying to upgrade my cables between my 6070 and my Sherbourn amp. I have decided on Transparent ($75 per pair). Since these are sold in pairs I will have one left over and asked the dealer if this would be an upgrade over my current digital coax cable. His response was "no" because digital cables are better for digital connections and analog for analog due to the design of these different cables.
Have you tried it both ways?
BTW, up until now I was not convinced that cables made a significant difference. After trying different brands I am convinced that there is a difference, however, I will never try to convince anyone that one brand is better because I feel that that is a personal decision.
Keep the information flowing on this great receiver.

Stuart
I think I read all 100+ posts and still have two questions:

1) If I use multizone, and have a second AMP (not receiver) can I have the 6070 doing say DVD surround in main room, and have tuner (or CD or other source) sourcing sound in other room? If not whats the point? I assume yes but want to clarify before purchase. OR instead of just an AMP, is the key simply to have a second receiver for other zones and forget about the multizone feature?

2) I have only 5 speakers (yes sorry a traditional 5.1 system still). Except for not having advantage of 6.1 surround, will this receiver do just fine as a 5.1 receiver. i.e a 6.1 or 7.1 receiver works just fine for only 5 speakers, right?

I am a rookie. Thanks!!

John Hackman
Stuart. The multizone allows you to use the devices (tuner, cd, dvd, phono...) and direct it to another room. You can watch a DVD Surround movie on the main room (roomA) and listen to other devices (tuner, cd, phono...) on roomB.

You can hook your speakers of roomB directly into the VR6070 OR use an AMP (or receiver acting as AMP) on roomB connected to the VR6070. If you want to go multizone, I advise you get a second VR60x0 remote control even if you room is far away (remote use RF, not IR).

Yes for question2, you can use 5 speakers with this receiver and even less (ie. 2) if you want. You can buy cheaper receiver that will do 5.1 and multiroom, don't have to go with the VR6070 unless you want thx, 6.1, comp.video & other goodies...

-John

Stuart
John,

Thanks for the quick post!!
I am a corp. employee of a Electronic Retailer that gets a great discount so I can get the 6070 for dirt cheap. For the low price, figure I should buy something I could grow into.

So, where would I hook the speakers direct for room b? Is that the non-banana style connectors on lower right on rear. this is for one pair only. If I had more than one pair I would need one of those Niles speaker selectors right? (Or impedance matching volume controls in other rooms). I thought the multizone only put out a low level unamplified signal, so did not think a direct connection was possible w/o an AMP. I would think the "B" speakers would have to play the same as the "A" speakers in this case, or thats how I have always thought A/B selection worked-i.e. same signal goes to A and B.

Any clarification wuld help. thanks,

John Hackman
Stuart, you may be right. I think the RoomB connection requires an AMP. The SpeakerB will output the same sound as SpeakerA. I will let you tomorrow...

-John

Steve Mac

When I say "stereo pairs" I am describing individual left and right coaxial cables. In my opinion, the Canare cables are worth it.

These Canare LV-77S cables are lightweight and more flexible than multiple shield cables from other manufacturers. They have PVC jackets with a smooth, non-glare finish. This is a professional, high performance, double-shielded, low loss coaxial cable.

This cable is not for everyone.

The specifications and performance are very high, to be sure -- higher than you reasonably need for digital audio applications...most folks would be completely satisfied with LV-61S, but if you want performance that goes beyond reason, this may be just the cable for you.

The Connectors

No one makes a finer RCA connector than Canare, in my opinion. They are precision machined to maintain a constant 75 ohm impedance. The connectors are crimped in place, using heavy, precision-machined dies. The crimps are so tight that oxygen is excluded, and thus corrosion is prevented. It's an awesome system, and the resulting terminations are in a class of their own.

Generic RCA audio plugs and cables have been around for over 50 years, but the old solder-type plugs typically have an impedance of about 25 ohms. They exhibit extremely poor return loss performance, even when mated to high quality cable.

Canare's new 75 ohm RCA crimp plugs solve these problems. They are impedance matched and achieve excellent DIGITAL & ANALOG performance with a usable bandwidth to 200 MHz! VSWR is typically less than 1.1 from DC to 200 MHz.

The center shaft is gold plated. If you look closely at one of these cables, you can see the internal pressure fingers, which ensure good contact, while solving the " grip of death " problem, which has been an issue with Monster's connectors. The " grip of death " connectors put unnecessary strain on your equipment. Canare connectors connect up smoothly, and maintain good contact, while protecting your equipment investment.

These are some of the reasons why I recommend these cables. Also, everything I post here is just my opinion, and what works best for me. =]

Alford,

Yes this is an analog signal, and I have tried both ways. These cables are impedance matched and achieve excellent DIGITAL & ANALOG performance with a usable bandwidth to 200 MHz. I don't know what to say about what your dealer says; just that I can hear the difference between the two, and that these cables are made for use with digital or analog signals.

Thanks, John B.

Alford Holland
Thanks John B,

Ask 10 dealers and you get 10 different answers to most questions. Maybe he just wanted to sell me the digital cable also.
I will test both types before making my decision to purchase new cables.

Red
Everyone, I am planning to pick up the VR6070 next week and am looking at paradigm speakers. Has anyone heard of these as they are not mentioned in any messages on this forum. Also, from what I understand, you either have 6 speakers producing sound including lower freq normally carried by the sub or...you have 5 speakers and a sub going. Can someone confirm this? Thanks.

Red -

I own two sets of Paradigm speakers (Titans - rear stage & Monitor 7s - front stage). I think I paid close to $700 for the four speakers. They produce excellent sound and are well-balanced. The only reason I purchased them was because they sounded better than the other speakers I tested in my own home (vs. Klipsch, Boston, and Definitive Tech). I suggest that you do what I did and test the speakers in your own environment before you make the purchase.

On a personal note, I found that Onkyo HTS-50 speakers sound just as fine (or even better) in a cinema mode and cost 30% that of the Paradigms. The timbral-balanced Onkyos (LF, RF, CC, LS, LR, and SW) are mated to my new VR-6070 for the time being and are extremely impressive, especially for the money.

Richard
Hi All,

I'm considering purchasing the KFR-X9060D (the Australian version of the VR6070) and matching it with a set of Wharfedale Diamond 8 speakers (8.3's for front, 8.1's for L/R surround, 2x8.1's in series for Centre back, 8 Centre, & 10A sub) - which is about the limit of my budget given the woeful state of the Aussie dollar relative to the US dollar and UK pound :)

The only problem I can forsee is that the speakers are nominal 6 ohm (the brochure says "compatible with 8 ohm amplifier outputs" but no-one seems to know what that means _exactly_) and I've read that the 9060/6070 is limited to/specified for 8-16ohm speakers.

I'm hoping that one of you happy 9060/6070 owners can please set me straight on what the situation is.

If the 6 ohm speakers are definately out, any suggestions on an (low-middle range) 8ohm package that would suit my 4.5x4.5m room (particularly if you know one that is available in Australia)?

Thanks!

Hello Richard,

I do not believe you will have a problem with running 6-ohm speakers considering their size (8 inch woofers). These speakers will want a little more juice (power) than 8-ohm speakers will, but I do not foresee a problem.

Although I do not recommend running your rear center speakers in series. This may cause you problems. You should use the 7.1 pre-outs and another receiver or amplifier to run your rear center section.

Hook up a stereo RCA cable, or 2 digital grade coaxial cables to the "SURROUND BACK PRE-OUTS" on the 6070. Then hook up the other end of the cables to your second receiver/or amplifier using the "AUX" inputs. Wire up your pair of surround back speakers to your second receiver/or amp and you should be good to go mate!

Hope this helps you. =]

John B.

BRIAN D, I EXPERIMENTED and found that hooking the sub to the pre-out in the back is not benefical to getting full bass response. Instead hook the receiver from the front speaker channel into the input of the sub. Next hook your output of the sub to the correct speakers and turn both knobs half way on the sub with phase set to 180. In SP SETUP turn sub off, when you do this the front speakers are automatically defaulted to Large which sets the bass directed right to the sub.......Wait until you hear the difference you'll thank me. Plus it gives you a higher bass output you can adjust on the sub to your liking.

Enjoy

TO ALL, On my sub the low pass filter setting goes from 60hz to 160hz and has a seperate volume control what should i keep that setting at and i have a selction of phase at 180 degrees or 0 degrees what is the optimal setting.

Thanks

Ok I think this is the last question i have. Why when i turn thx sound on the signal seems to dampen and shift to a lower volume. I have a 5 channel speaker setup and one surround back. Do i need a special setup for the THX configuration. Your expedient response is greatly appreciated.
Brian

GGUZMAN
I fought over the Optical/Coaxial connection like many others. I finally added the digital coax and now I do get auto detection for EX encoded DVDs but I don't see the indicator light up for the SB speaker. I do hear sound from the SB speaker but I am wondering if the indicator should be lit up underneath the blue SB light

ken daniel
GGUZMAN ? ....I am wondering if the indicator should be lit up underneath the blue SB light
not in dolby digital ex, only in dts es discrete
will lit up underneath the blue SB light
sense dolby digital ex is only matrix
into back center.
as far as THX goes i couldn't answer
this i hope that someone else can
goodluck

ken daniel
BRIAN W as far as THX goes i couldn't answer
this i hope that someone else can
goodluck.

sorry about that foreget to put the name
in top post

GlynnB.
Richard - Speaker advice: I set mine up with Sansui 8 ohms from Strathfield. These are bargain speakers. They are made by the same maker as DB Dynamics, come in black or beech, and after they run in, they get better and better. 850 front towers will set you back $500aus and give you 180Wmax/tweeter + 2x8" of big sound. There is a smaller tower called an 815 for the same price that will give you 150Wmax/ tweeter + 2x6.5" and there is a smaller kit for $400 that gives you Bookshelf/centre/surrounds. I use 2 x 850's, 3 x 815's at rear for 6.1 and a Jamo E6CEN centre for a mighty sound. They make a good downfiring matching sub aswell for about $349. Another cost effective option is to go the 850's at the front and grab the surround kit, using the main bookshelves for your 5.1, using the centre, and just one of the surrounds for your centre rear. Add a sub and you will be up for $1250 odd for full 6.1 in 8ohm! (crunch em and you'll do even better).note:Some 850 boxes say 6ohm-pull the speaker out-they are 8ohm. They come with spikes too! My Jamo is 6ohm and the Kenwood loves it.

I'm going tonight to pick up the vr-6070 and i can't wait but the one thing that is bothering me is that i heard the component jacks are not cpmpatiable with hdtv, and progressive scan dvd players. i heard the image is low grade. If anyone know of anything different please let me know your input would be greatly appreciated.

ken daniel
Well i got hooked up,hooked up my older separate amp witch is a 100 watt yamaha
to the kenwood 6070 witch i use for the
[left and right center back] and let me tell
you there is a cleaner crisper sound and to top that off there is a big difference in the front
left and right speakers ,7.1 is a big difference
while using a separate amp for center L,R back
speakers.so its more like this
L-front,center,R-front,SW,L-surr,R-surr,my second
amp yamaha is pushing the SBR/SBL and it just sounds great.just thought that it would be interesting to everyone.

Richard
John Briggs & GlynnB - Thanks for the advice.

GlynnB - I'll pop into the local Strathfield store today and look at the speakers you suggested and see if I can get a good price on the receiver too (the best price I've gotten so far is $AUS980 at a place in South Australia called "The Good Guys").

John - Can you please expand on why you think that wiring the two identical (nominal/average) 6 ohm impedance rear speakers in series will cause problems. Given that the 6070 will (alledgedly) play happily with (I assume "average") 8-16ohm impedance speakers, why will seeing a 12 ohm rear impedance cause the receiver to be unhappy?

Is this an issue of trying to match the impedance of the speakers on all channels? Is the 6070 sensitive to these sorts of things?

Using the rear centre L/R pre-outs sounds like a fine idea too, though at first thought isnt it a bit of a pain having 2 independent volume controls? I assume that it would be possible to "slave" the rear surround amp volume control to the "master" volume control of the receiver but I assume that you would need a Kenwood surround amp for this + some form of interconnection between the units (I think the KMF-X9000 is designed precisely for this but I suspect that it is many $$$) :)

If wiring the rears in series is going to cause long term damage to the amp, I think I may just end up going with a single centre rear along with the minor loss of rear sound-field width.

In case anyone else is interested, I emailed both Wharfedale in the UK and Kenwood in the US (Kenwood Australia didnt have any information other than marketing material) to ask questions about this issue.

I got an email back from a guy in Wharfedale's R&D department the same day (which I pretty good customer service if you ask me!). The guy told me that the Diamond 8's, although rated at a _nominal_ 6 ohm impedance, have the same _minimum_ impedance as an 8 ohm (average) speaker. So should have no problems with the Kenwood (though I assume that the _average_ output from the Kenwood will be higher for the same volume due to the lower average speaker impedance - resulting in the amp possibly running a bit hotter than if I had 8ohm average speakers connected).

I got an automated reply from Kenwood saying they had had a system failure and to try sending my question again. If anyone is interested, I'll post a message if I get a reply and let you all know what they say....

OK I finally got all working. I was usimg the optical out on my dvd which worked perfectly but decided i wanted the optical out for my 400 cd changer. WOW was i glad the sound is much warmer with the digital coax over the optical and has a smoother bass sound. Yes i purchased a monster y adaptor cable for my sub that has left and right channels and a monster cable for the sub all of the thx certified line and finally my bass booms with my polk surround setup i spent $300 bucks for. Just make sure in the "SP SETUP" for REMIX SW Turn it to Yes and all will be well. Thanks for the support and input from you all. The benefits of this forum far surpass any tech supports most influential thoughts.......Thanks guy keep up the humanity.

One last question is i am using 5 channels now in the "SP SETUP" menu it has a menu that says "REMIX SURROUND" Do i set this to YES or NO...I want my surround speakers to give me the most range and not to sound like one speaker.

Brian

John Hackman
Brian W. I believe the REMIX SURROUND is when you have a back speaker (SB) and you want to output a SL & SR on a 5.1 mixed to the back speaker (ie when listening a 5.1 DVD movie). So you can hear sounds on the SB even if you're watching a 5.1 movie. If you want to enable this feature, the REMIX SURROUND must be ON. If you don't have a SB speaker, i think it's useless.

Ken Daniel. Are you using your YAM amp just for the two SB speakers or also for your front & center speakers? Did you say that the front sound was better when using an additional amp (for front speakers only) or without ?

Eric D. Did you get your VR-6070? If so, congrat. Who told you the receiver could not high end Component video? I used it on my Progressive Scan Toshiba 4700 and a Sansung 55HDTV 16:9 and can tell you the picture is just incredible. I read an article about that this receiver will do high end HDTV output via its component video. Unfortunately, I can just output it on 480p (limit of my DVD), maybe next item on my shopping list is an HDTV DTV Receiver.

-John

ken daniel
John Hackman :Yes using back L/R pre-outs from the kenwood vr-6070 connected to another amp for the two Surround Back L/R speakers only. and what seemed odd to me is that
the front Left and Right sound seemed better
to me, more separate or discreted, more like
better left to right panning.I noticed this
while watching MONSTERS ,INC just sounds better with another amp pushing the back L/R surround
speakers.

ken daniel
I've been wanting to ask this for awhile now so here goes.
when the THX EX [orange indicator] lights up
does this mean THX EX is active.
i put on auto THX EX but it seems like nothing happens just stays on the screen in blue that its just [DOLBY DIGITAL]. but [DTS ES DISCRETE]AND [DOLBY D EX] will show on screen in blue
shouldn't it show up something like this on screen
[THX EX DISCRETE]or something in blue that it is in THX EX mode. i was at my local electronics
store witch is ultimate electronics and they
had a pioneer witch model i don't know but when
in THX EX mode it had actually said [THX EX DIS]
im just curious .any feed back would be great to hear thanks in advance

Hello again Richard,

Q: John - Can you please expand on why you think that wiring the two identical (nominal/average) 6 ohm impedance rear speakers in series will cause problems?

A: First, is there any amp or receiver that has provisions for, or says in the instructions, that you are to hook up speakers "in series"? I do not know of ANY receiver that is designed to do this, and that is why I do not recommend this kind of setup. It just isn't a standard type of practice.

Secondly, I have read some reviews on this particular unit where someone did do this and the receiver kept shutting down. That is why they have provided 7.1 "pre-outs" for the two speakers in back.

Q: Using the rear centre L/R pre-outs sounds like a fine idea too, though at first thought isnt it a bit of a pain having 2 independent volume controls?

A: You do not have to worry about 2 separate volume controls because ALL of the "pre-outs" are controlled by the "main volume control" on the 6070. Approx 44 messages ago, 10/11/02 I welcomed Ken Daniel to this thread and explained a 7.1 setup. Read this info above if you have any problems.
Hope this helps, John B. =]

Brian W.

Just make sure in the "SP SETUP" for REMIX SW Turn it to Yes and all will be well.

This is telling the 6070 that you are running a passive/(non powered) subwoofer from the surround back (6th channel) binding post. From what you said above, you are using this channel for your surr. back speaker. If you want big bass sound using the sub pre-out, go into the test tone portion of the speaker setup and select "manual tone". Increase the default level to +7 or so, and that should do it.

Turn the SW REMIX to "OFF" because you are not using the 6th channel binding post for a sub. In the speaker setup for "6-channel amp", set this to "SB" for a 6.1 setup using the sub pre-out with coaxial cable. You will not get an "LFE" signal to the sub using the binding posts.

Q: TO ALL, On my sub the low pass filter setting goes from 60hz to 160hz and has a seperate volume control what should i keep that setting at and i have a selction of phase at 180 degrees or 0 degrees what is the optimal setting.

A: If your sub has an adjustable crossover, set it to around 60hz. Turn the gain on the sub up to around 2:00 (2/3 of the way up). The "phase" switch depends on where in the room your sub is placed. This switch is for you to decide witch sounds better. Mine is set to Zero. =]

Hello Eric D,

Q: the one thing that is bothering me is that i heard the component jacks are not cpmpatiable with hdtv, and progressive scan dvd players. i heard the image is low grade.

A: It's not that it isn't compatible, just degrading. Why send a signal running at say; 50Mhz to a receivers component section that runs at 10Mhz? I would by-pass the receiver and hook up component video straight to the television for optimum performance. My DVD Player runs at 108Mhz/12bit, and I don't use the component video section of the 6070 for this reason.

To ALL,

When you select THX, the sound dampens because it turns off all speaker and active EQ functions. Try turning them back on once THX has been selected. As far as "EX" signals go, I do not own any movies in this format yet so I am no help here either.

Thanks, John B.

Can anybody tell me what I did wrong?

I am not receiving a video signal through my TV. My DVD player is connected to the VR-6070 using composite video (R,G, & B) connectors. The VCR and PS2 are connected using component video connectors. I've tried S-video and component video connectors to the TV through the "monitor output" jack on the VR-6070 with no luck.

I'll appreciate any advice you can provide.

Have had the VR6070 for about a month now. LOVE IT. I DO have a general question tho. I have 2 of the speakers connected by un-keyed speaker wire. So I don't know which wire is coming from red vs. black. Can I be damaging either the receiver or the speakers. The speakers aren't that valuable...but I'd hate to "blow" the receiver somehow....

Thanks in advance...

Scoop,

click on my name to the left and e-mail me with your phone number. (too much typing involved)

John B.

Hello Julian Henkin,

It is best to make sure that you do not have polarity conflicts. You will have poor sound, and your speakers wont like it either. For $20.00, I would get some new wire that has polarity indicators on it.

John B. =]

Joel H
Hi all. Wow! Lots of info here. I just happened to come across this thread while searching for info on the 6070.

I was looking at several receivers(Denon 1803, Yamaha RX V1300, Onkyo TX SR700) all new models. I read a favorable review of the 6070 in Sound & Vision mag and decided to check it out. I went to my local Best Buy. $579.00....ouch. Almost full price. Then, looking on the bottom shelf, I see an "open box" 6070 for $399. So, I bought it having never heard it. I'll let you know what I think after I get it all set up. I don't think I'll have any problems after reading all of your great info, though. Thanks guys.

Julian Henkin, You may already know this but I thought I'd give it a shot. You should be able to hear a definite difference if your polarities are switched. Try the wires both ways. It shouldn't hurt your receiver. Otherwise, look closely at your wires. Some things to look for on one of the two wires are: printing, a line of some sort, or a single silver wire twisted in the copper wires. Hope this helps.

Joel

I am considering the VR 6070 but I would like to integrate my two John Bowers active-1 speakers as my Mains. They are active speakers. Can I use the pre-outs for RF and LF on the active speakers, with the powered outs for the center and rear channels (passive speakers)?

Also, Sub is a Sunfire. Recommendations on hook-up?

Hello Louis Kirby,

Q: Can I use the pre-outs for RF and LF on the active speakers, with the powered outs for the center and rear channels (passive speakers)?

A: Yes you can, that type of set-up will work fine. =]

Q: Recommendations on hook-up?

A: Hook a coaxial cable up to your Sunfire using the LEFT composite RCA jack, (typically the left side is the "MONO" input for most composite inputs) and the other side to the 6070's "sub pre out".

You can get a "Y" adapter from Monster and you can use both left and right inputs on your sub.

These are my recommendations.

Regards, John B. =]

Kent
Thinking seriously about purchasing 6070. Have a progressige scan DVD player and a Samsung HDTV. Main reason I lean toward the 6070 is that it has two component inputs. My HDTV has only one. Was planning on using the 6070 for both progressive scan and HDTV switching. I too was told that the 6070 component inputs could not carry the high bandwith of the HDTV signal. (HDTV bandwith is much higher tahn DVD) Does anyone here use both component inputs (DVD Pscan and HDTV Signal)and use the 6070 to switch between the two? If so is there any degridation in picture quality when veiwed? Was wondering if salesperson was correct. Was planning to purchase the 6070 within the next couple days, but this has made me do a little research first. Thanks in advance for any help.

Kent
Did a little research and found my answer. HDTV bandwith is around 27 MHz. 6070 bandwith is limited to only 10MHz. Still interested in this receiver, but will look for alternatives for video switching. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanx

John Briggs
Hello Kent,

I do not have an HDTV receiver or TV but I can confirm that the component video section of the 6070 runs at 10mhz. Switching between the two component video inputs works fine but why send a signal running at say; 50Mhz to a receivers component section that runs at 10Mhz? My DVD Player runs at 108Mhz/12bit, and I don't use the component video section of the 6070 for this reason.

Although this receiver has passed the THX certification program for build quality, sound, and video performance, it seems odd that that the 6070 passed the high video standards of THX considering the bandwidth is only 10mhz. Kind of a "catch22" between specs, and certification.

If you have made up your mind that 10mhz just isn't enough bandwidth, you might try looking at a Sony ES STR-DA4ES A/V receiver with Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES, and Pro Logic II. This receivers component section runs at 50mhz or, keep shopping and plan on spending over $1,000.00 for another receiver that suites your needs for HDTV performance.

Some other people in this thread are using progressive scan DVD players with their 6070 and have no complaints on the video performance of this unit.

Let us know what you decide on Kent.

Regards, John B. =]

Kent
My original intent for this receiver was strictly for audio only. But when I saw that it had component switching capabilities I thought I could use it for this purpose also. I am sure there is, or soon will be a device available to switch high bandwith component inputs. If left up to me, I would prefer to have seperate audio and video resources anyway.

As far as the THX certification is concerned, the home THX certification mostly concentrates on audio. There is no video requirements set for video monitors. (other than an acoustically transparent projection screen) So I dont believe the component video bandwith has a THX benchmark at this time.

As I said before, I would prefer to segregate my audio and video signals anyway. (to prevent degrigation of the quality as much as possible) I like the THX certification on the 6070. That is what first caught my attention. I still think this receiver fits the bill as far as my needs are concerned. Will just have to find another option for my video switching needs. If anyone has any ideas, or had a similar issue they managed to resolve please let me know.

Thanks

Hey guy's! Still deciding on the Kenwood or another. The "Q" pertains to the video capability of the 6070 posted in recent day's...

Have you tried the "S" video in's and out's instead of the component? Would the video be any cleaner?

Lot's of good info here, glad I stopped by! Thanks to everyone involved!

Karl K.

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line... in the opposite direction.

Red
I am confused with Kenwood's 6 channel description for the 6070.
1. Will someone clarify that the 6070 is a six speaker or 5 speaker plus sub or six speaker plus sub amplifier?
2. Theatre will be set up in a 250 sq foot room. Will adding a another rear speaker make much difference here as opposed to just 2 rear surrounds? Thanks.

RANDY
kenwood 6070 is a 6.1
LEFT,RIGHT, CENTER,LEFT REAR,RIGHT REAR,
REAR BACK SURROUND SPEAKER AND A SUB.

Louis Kirby
John B
Thanks for the response.

GCB
Red - The 6070 is a six speaker plus active (powered) sub, or five speaker plus passive sub. You select it.
Adding the rear centre will complete your circle surround a lot more and give you that immersed in sound sensation a lot better. Neo6 benefits from it too. A lot of people like 5.1, considering it a more 'purists' system, but I think 6.1 is great. For the extra speaker, you can go another centre type speaker, not necessarily as strong in quality as your front centre, or find someone else with 6.1 and go halves in two towers or use a spare old speaker. Or with this receiver you can use the pre-outs into a two channel amp like that old stereo amp we all keep somewhere, and run 7.1 through a pair of bookshelves or towers. (but you will lose the passive sub channel as you can't expect it to cope with 6.1 and 7.1 at the same time).
Expect more and more movies of the future to cater for the centre rear channel. Some out now to try are Seven, Phantom Menace and Terminator2.

Admin (Admin)
>> Next Page
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us