Kenwood VR-6070 THX/DPL2. Anyone has this unit? (Page 3)

Jim Everhart
Brian:
IMO get a good coax cable if your only going to buy one type. As far as speaker wire get monster in 12 or 16 gauge. For connectors, I prefer banana plugs. Home Depot sells RCA Deluxe Gold Plated for $4.75 a pair.

John Hackman
Brian, I think Jim is right, get a coax cable. Seems the coax will give ya' both DD and DTS (including DTS-ES).
Monster cable are xpensive, especially if you want to wire 6 speakers + 1 subw. If you have a lot of $$$ to spend, go for it. Otherwise, you can buy a roll of standard speaker cable with higher gauge.

-John

Eric Chyo
Brian,

I too would go with the coax cable. Many people claim that the coaxial provides a warmer sound than the optical cable. It also seems like most people have had the least difficulty having their receiver detect both Dolby Digital & DTS with a digital coaxial cable. I would go with Monster or Ultralink cables. They are both great quality. I must say that this receiver is a great deal. I love it's performance and price.

And finally, Brian
I also would recommend a good coax cable for hassle free operation. You will not be able to hear the difference between the two. Check out this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1374890308

Or, visit Cable Solutions at:

http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=8174502

Mark is a great guy to do business with and they make custom cables in different lengths, colors, and connectors... VERY COOL!

True 75ohm connectivity is what your equipment wants and thats what you will get with these cables.

Also, check out link below for knukonceptz.com : 12 gauge speaker wire for larger speakers, 14 or 16 gauge wire for smaller or satellite speakers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1385151763

Have fun! machinist68 =)

After weeks of searching for a forum on the new Kenwood's I located this great forum today. I purchased the 6070 about 30 days ago because I also have a moderately high end receiver which has been returned for warranty repairs due to popping in the speakers (this is my second one with the same defect).
The Kenwood is the best receiver that I have owned to date(please understand that this is only my opinion). I have owned or had in my system at various times all of the high end receivers, and I do mean all of them.
To me home theater is more than a subwoofer at peak volumes. The Kenwood extracts subtle details like none of the others. Speakers disappear and sound is wall to wall, side to side and back to back.
The only fault with this receiver is the poor sound on two channel music.
I plan to use my 6070 as a pre/pro and have ordered a Sherbourn 5/1500 amplifier to complete the system.
Good listining to all of you.

John Hackman
Welcome Alford... Share anything with us if you have a chance. Thanks.

John

Hello Alford,
In regards to the poor sound on 2 channel music..
Have you tryed adjusting active and speaker eq settings to dial it in? Also, what source is it that does not sound good... is it all 2 channel sources? I noticed that when I listen to TV brodcast (MTV/VH1) through my cable box it does not sound as good as it does when listening through my VCR. Perhaps your front speakers might be an issue, (older models) with not enough mid/highs clairity/quality?
Thanks, and let us know.
John / machinist68 =)

ALFORD HOLLAND
Hi John,
Yes, I have made all of the adjustments. This only occurs with the CD player as a source. The player is a 300 disc Pioneer F1009. I experienced this same problem with a Denon 4802. It seems that some receivers just do not perform in two channel music. I get slightly better results using the analog connection from my CD player. Maybe it has better DAC's because music on TV is good. I can only describe the sound with CD two channel as thin and grainy. I also have a Parasond HCA806 (80 watts)and use the 6070 as a Pre/Pro. Music is excellent using this combo. That is why I have ordered the Sherbourn.
I think that the 6070 is a great HT amp (again I repeat that it is the best I have used) but I did want anyone who is interested in this unit to know about the lack of stereo performance that I have experienced.
My system:
Front mains - Paradigm Monitor 11's
Center - Paradigm CC370
Sub - Paradigm PW2200
Rears - Polk RT25i

hey guys i was thinking of buying the 6070 but i want a receiver that i can use a rear center channel. does the 6070 do this? i dont have another receiver because my year old pioneer 509s overheated and no longer works. your comments please. this forum is the best i have found.thanks,dennis

Well I'm back and yes i have the optical cable working with DTS and works with all other formats first shot. I purchased all applied technology optical cables and speaker wire 16 gauge and man the sound is tremendous.....I have a sony wega dvd with progressive scan and the dvd pumps the optical on all supported formats and auto switches. Once again thanks guys for the guidance....Oh i am also using polk audio rm6000p speakers and i must say they sound great.......Any other setups or information feel free to share.

Thanks

Brian

Rim Rivera
Thanks all for posting. I'm not quite ready to upgrade yet, but it looks like it will be the 6070 when I do.

Quick question: Anyone tried the phono inputs yet? Anybody out there still listening to vinyl?

Hmmm, I'm obviously missing something. I have a VR-6070 that I'm getting setting up. Before getting any digital cables, everything was working fine. Sound, video, etc. I'm not sure what it meant, but even the THX indicator was illuminated. My DVD player has only 1 form of digital output: optical. So I get an optical cable and connect the optical output of DVD to the receiver CD/DVD optical input (there's no DVD/6CH option for the optical inputs. I select CD/DVD as source and it sounds WONDERFUL. But my video is gone...probably since I had video as one of the connections under the DVD/6CH initially using my analog connections. So, I move my inputs and outputs around, but don't seem to have figured things out. I've got sound, but no video...

ALFORD HOLLAND
JULIAN,
I THINK THAT DVD/6 CH IS AN ANALOG INPUT ONLY.

HAVE YOU TRIED TO GET A PICTURE BY SELECTING DVD RATHER THAN CD/DVD? THIS SHOULD RESOLVE YOUR PROBLEM,

John Hackman
Julian, how is your video hooked up? (DVD, VR6070, TV)? Which connection are you using (RCA, SVHS, Component)? I am using a Monster Component from DVD to HDTV. I also used before Component from DVD to Receiver to TV. Works fine in both setup.

Anyone knows the diff btw DVD/6 and DVD on the 6070?

-John

Hello all,
DVD/6-Channel is typically used for SACD/Super Audio Compact Disks, or receivers that do not have digital decoding such as Dolby 5.1 and DTS.

These are ANALOG inputs for 5.1 output from a SACD player, or a DVD player that has Dolby 5.1 and DTS decoding onboard. (5 + .1 = 6 Channels) Since 6-Channel analog outputs are coming from a digital source directly, they have a much better sound quality than their name(analog output/input)do not be fooled by this analog input/output... it can carry 10 times the audio quality of a Compact Disk when used with a SACD player or compatible DVD player.

The name, or source: DVD/6-Channel, refers to the 6 analog inputs on the back of the VR6070...
NOT 6-channel digital decoding for EX and ES sources. By using these inputs, ALL DSP (Digital Signal Processing) is bypassed because DSP is taken care of through the SACD, or DVD player prior to sending it to the receiver.

As far as the difference between DVD/6-Channel and CD/DVD... DVD/6-Channel is the SOURCE where you will hear digital audio from a digital input like a Toslink Fiber optic, Digital Coax cable, or 6-Channel analog input.

CD/DVD is for 2 Channel analog input ONLY.

PHONO INPUTS: They work fine, I have a SONY DIRECT DRIVE Turntable with quartz lock and variable speed control and it sounds great.

Alfred: It sounds like you are using the OPTICAL DIGITAL OUTPUT on your CD player. Some people have said that this kind of sound transfer between two components sounds kind of "tinny" with no warmth to it. (I can't stress enough that quality sound lies in the cables that you use to transfer sound to the receiver.) You might try using an EQUALIZER in between the CD player and the receiver, or get some nice digital grade cables like the ones I have provided "links" to in my past messages above. Also, it might be the Pioneer CD player is the culprit in this case of poor 2-channel sound. Try using your DVD player to listen to CD's and see if there is any difference in sound. Make sure to use Stereo ANALOG cables, and hook them up to the receiver. You may use either the ANALOG DVD section, or the CD/DVD section of the receiver's inputs to do this.
Hope this helps you,

John / machinist68 =)

OH! I almost forgot Julian H.

Try this... First, is your receiver's VIDEO SECTION connected to your TV by analog, or S-VIDEO cable? SECOND: Try hooking up your video game using the FRONT A/V inputs on your VR6070 using the corresponding VIDEO cable(analog, or S-VIDEO), then push the "nifty" little button above the FRONT S-VIDEO INPUT marked: AV AUX , and see what you get.

If you want to use Digital Fiber Optic cable for your game sound, I suggest using the "VIDEO 3" input section on the back of your VR6070 with the corresponding VIDEO cable(analog, or S-VIDEO).

John / machinist68 =)

And... one more time,

Earlier, I was a little unclear about DVD/6-Channel, and CD/DVD inputs on the VR6070.

When I said that the CD/DVD section of the 6070 was ANALOG ONLY, I was referring to the STEREO ANALOG INPUTS for CD/DVD.

When using digital coax, or fiber optic cables for DVD/6-Channel, or CD/DVD input, you must first start playback of your digital source. Then select DVD/6-Channel, or CD/DVD on the receiver for your source, then push the "INPUT MODE" button on the remote repeatedly, until the corresponding "INPUT" appears...
6-Channel, Digital Manual, Analog, Full Auto, ect.

Full Auto seems to work very well with multiple sources and formats.

Before I pose my question on this message board, I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to maintain this board. You're doing a fabulous job of informing the Kenwood VR-6070 community.

My concern is that I need a receiver that will provide Super Audio CD multi-channel sound (from a Sony SACD/DVD player) and still provide multiple advanced surround modes (DD-EX, THX-EX, dts-ES, dts Neo:6). Will the VR-6070 accomodate my needs? What type of input connections will I need from my SACD/DVD (dig. coax, dig. optical, 5.1 analog)? Does the VR-6070 provide discreet amplifiers for each channel?

Any advice you provide would be greatly appreciated.

B. More
I am glad that I stumbled across this message thread six weeks ago. It convinced me to purchase the Kenwood 6070 receiver, which I have had for three weeks now and have not had a single problem. Nothing but total enjoyment. I searched Dealtime and Pricegrabber and found that http://www.vanns.com had the lowest price with no tax and free shipping which saved me a cool $200. The shopping, listening and veiwing experience have all been good. I highly recommend this receiver to anyone who wants high quality at a low price.

John Hackman
John Briggs: Thanks for your input on the CD/DVD and DVD/6CH.

Hi, I just bought the onkyo sr-700 for 450$, and was wondering if I should have gone with the kenwood vr-6070 instead. Both look great. Please any input...

thanks

Rim Rivera
John B., thanks for the reply.

GCB
To anyone with uncertainties about the stereo sound quality, consider for one minute your input signal quality. A lot of people are playing music through their DVD player's, as do I, and forget this is not as preferred as a dedicated deck. I have been using a Nintaus Prog Scan DVD with Zoran chip (audio) and thought the Kenwood Okay on all surround formats and fairly average, to say the least, on stereo. Well I changed the DVD player and am stunned at the response from my Kenwood. It has absolutely come to life, I cannot believe they are the same speakers and stereo is magnificent. I am using six channel in and it is very, very impressive. Obviously this receiver will give you back to you what you give to it!

roz portland
I am very glad I stumbled across this site.it is very informitive. I am also considering the vr6070. it seems to have the most for my money.the only problems I see here seem to be the installation of the inputs from the dvd.witch brings me to my question because I am also in the market for a dvd player.would it be benificial for me to get one with 5.1 rca outputs as well as s video and optical to utilize the full potential of the vr6070 any suggestions or recomedations on a dvd around $200. any input would be greatly appreciated thank you very much and keep up the good work.

Alford Holland
GCB: You say that you re using 6-channel in. Are you saying that you are using the analog connection with a seperate input into each channel on the 6070? If so, you are bypassing the DAC's in the 6070 and using the Dac's in the DVD player. I, only mention this because like you I only rate stereo music as average (or worse) when using a dedicated CD player with optical input (better with analog connection). I now have a Sherbourn 200 watt amplifier and use the 6070 as a pre/pro. Music is now fantastic so I definitely think that the problem with stereo is within the 6070 amps.
roz: I replaced a Sony DVD player with the Phillips DVD 724. I have long liked Sony but there is no comparison. Picture quality is much better and sound quality far exceeds the Sony (CD music is better than with my dedicated Pioneer CD player.
To all: This is the best Forum on the NET. Keep on with the useful information.

roz: I believe that BestBuy has a Sony 5-disc DVD/SACD (Super Audio CD) on sale this week for $199.

B. More: Thank you very much for the tip on Vanns.com. I placed my order for the VR-6070 and I should receive my receiver on Friday or Monday even using FREE ground shipping.

hansh: Where were you able to obtain an Onkyo SR700 for $450?

Hello roz portland,
In regards to a DVD player having 5.1 outputs, you would only want this option if:

You plan on buying and listening to Super Audio Compact Disks/(SACD's)
Take a look at the comments left by myself, and GCB, and that should clarify things a little.
I would recomend checking out Sony's DVP-NS755V
Go to: www.crutchfield.com and type in the search bar: NS755V and check out this DVD/CD/SACD Player
An excellent price for the processing(I just got mine a week ago and it looks and sounds great)
Hope this helps. =)

Hello Scoop,
The Kenwood VR6070 will definitely provide evrything you asked for in your message above. As far as connections for your SACD player to the VR6070, you will need to get 6 seprate digital coax cables. SACD output of your SONY will not be present via toslink optical, or single coax cable.
(I say get 6 SEPRATE DIGITAL COAX CABLES because anything less, like 3 stereo pairs of RCA cables will just degrade the pure sound of the SACD player)
Look at the "links" I have provided above in my previous messages for "Cable Solutions" Ebay Store
These are the cables I use for all my connections and they are worth every penny I spent on them.
(I can hear the difference over monster cables!)

As far as discrete amps for all 6 channels...
The answer is YES! =)

GCB is right about what you put into an amp is what you will get out of it... thanks for that input. John / machinist68

I would first like to say that this discussion forum ROCKS!
I have read the various prices paid for the VR-6070 posted here and want to pass on some information.
IF YOU SEEKING TO BUY THE VR-6070 AND HAVE ACCESS TO THE ARMY & AIR FORCE EXCHANGE ONLINE (you must have military ties to enter the site)(http://www.aafes.com), YOU CAN GET THE KRF-X9060D (THE EUROPEAN EQUIVALENT) FOR $279.00 (regularally $379), WITH FREE SHIPPING.(a $57.00 value). I ordered one on 9/27 and received it 10/8.
I have powered it up and took it for its' maiden voyage last night and am pretty impressed thus far.
Tonight I will verify / upgrade my connectors, after reading all the posts here and strive for excellence. Thanks for all the good info here!

roz portland
thanks'al' scoop'john and jim for your input. al I will defenitly check into the phillips dvd. (jim) I went to kenwood usa.com and looked up the krf-x9060d with no resoults found.Ive got a buddy in the reserves who is going to check out ww.aafes.com for me. thank you all again. ps. sorry john I know sony is good but they left a bad taste in my mouth if you know what I mean.

Alford Holland
I forgot to include the price for the Phillips DVD 724. I paid $159 at Wal Mart. I has since been reduced to $139.

PLEASE HELP....I got the vr6070 and am trying to hook up the sub from my polk rm6000p speakers they sound great but this is the problem with the sub. Its a powered sub and according to the directions (vr6070) the powered sub should have a one mono plug in to the vr 6070 and my sub has 2 rca inputs l/r and it has 4 speaker level inputs and outputs on the sub........I don't want to degrade the sound by routing the hookup through the sub,,Is there anyway to do this......or should i buy another sub????????? Thanks

Brian

Hello Brian,

I have an Atlantic Technology T90 PBM 150 watt RMS Subwoofer that has the same config. of inputs and outputs as your Polk Sub does.

1) See if your coaxial sub cable is "directional" or not, (should have arrows on it) or, it will make a humming noise when the signal is sent the wrong way through it.

2) Hook the cable up to your Polk using the LEFT composite RCA jack, (typically the left side is the "MONO" input for most composite inputs) and tell the VR6070 in the "Speaker Setup" SUBWOOFER REMIX "OFF"(for passive sub). Or you can get a "Y" adapter from Monster and you can use both left and right inputs on your sub. Either way, you should be good to go now.

If your sub has an adjustable crossover, set it to around 60hz. Turn the gain on the sub up to around 2:00 (2/3 of the way up) and if it sounds too "Boomy", adjust the sub level using the "menu sound" button on the remote.

I am using the 6th binding post channel of the 6070 for passive output to my Atlantic Technology sub at the rear of my soundstage with 10-gauge wire from knukonceptz.com. I notice no sound degradation using this wire and form of setup. I use JBL satellite speakers up in each corner, and a JBL 150 watt Studio Series 3-way center channel.

The 6070 has six separate left and right pre outs: 2 fronts, 2 surrounds, 2 surr.back, plus 1 center, & 1 sub, equaling 7.1 pre outs. I use these outputs for my LARGE speakers that are connected to a SONY STR-DA3ES. The SONY has discrete 7.1 channel inputs plus 2 sub pre outs for my two front 400 watt JBL S-120P II subwoofers for a total of 14 speakers including subs.

I have spent the last 3 weeks fine-tuning EQ, Speaker Volume, and Delay settings between both receivers and am pleased with the overall performance of both decks. I highly recommend the VR6070 to anyone who wants a little "THERAPY" in their life and look forward to the continuance of this thread.

Thanks for listening, John / machinist68

John Hackman
John Briggs: I have the newest Toshiba 4800 DVD which support Progressive and DVD Audio. The DVD Audio specs is as impressive as the SACD. However, I am wondering if the connection is the same as what you describe for the SACD?

If I wanted to do the decoding on the Toshiba player (bypass the VR6070 DSP), shall I still use the 5 or 6 RCA cables to the VR6070? At this time, I have both digital fiber and coax hooked up. By adding the extra 6 RCA cables (digital), I will have too much cables going to the VR-6070. What's your suggestion.

-John

GCB
Alford - Yes , Alford, DVD-A with 196khz/24bit DAC via the 6 channel in. Very, very warm and full stereo sound compared to the digital in's although volume output seem's a little more capped.
I have the dedicated one chair in the centre of the speaker spectral and enjoy this for concentrated listening and then when I am moving about the house I like the CSII with it's big boomy and moving soundstage.
Another point I have is CSII V PLII? I find in reviews on CSII (more readily availiable in Marantz reviews at this stage, although still relevant to Kenwood) many people simply stating it blows PLII away and don't bother with PLII, that simple. I find this highly ignorant. I find that for serious multi channel listening, the PLII is great where you can discern with individual speaker direction a lot more clearly and identify the directions in the 'matrixed' stereo seperation a lot better. Any thoughts anyone?

I purchased a VR-6070. I have a older Bose system that is hooked up the lf, rf, c, rr, rl posts on the receiver that plug into the acoustimass and on to the speakers. The subwoofer posts are not hooked up at all since I have no where for them to go. I dont care too much for the bass out of the bose sub box. I have a polk psw250 powered sub that I would like to hook up. where can I hook it up and how. The polk has a L/R RCA jack and I would think I would hook it to the receiver at the preout subwoofer connection? Sorry im illerate when it comes to stereo stuff. Can I use a Y adapter for the single out on the receiver to the l/r on the sub? And if so do I hook it up to the preout section for subwoofer. Or do I need a new polk sub that supports LFE? Would LFE be a better option anyway for the deeper bass? Haven't found much out there so I am hoping you guys could help me. The manual is quite confusing so I hope you could help me out.

Thanks

Hello John Hackman,

My suggestion is to do away with the toslink optic cable and use the 6-channel and coaxial inputs. This is just my opinion; I do not think using both coax and optical cables together will harm either unit. Both cables perform the same function (delivering digital information to the receiver). Depending on the source, it has further been my experience that a coaxial cable seems to give a fuller, warmer sound as opposed to using an optical cable.

As far as DVD Audio connections go, I believe it is what format was used when mastering the disk. Standard DVD-A format (6-channel analog connection), or MLP format (Meridian Lossless Packing).

MLP format would enable a full 6 channels of 96/24 audio, plus room on the disk to include a Dolby 5.1 track, and a 2-channel 192/24 stereo track that would be compatible with normal DVD and CD players by using "Smart Content" downmixing services (a component in the PCM bitstream).

If you can monitor DVD Audio playback without using 6-channel analog inputs, chances are the disk has been mastered using MLP, and what you are hearing is a Dolby 5.1 performance of this. By using the 6-channel inputs, you will monitor the performance in 96/24 audio.

If you want to bypass decoding of the 6070 and use the DVD's decoder, you will have to use the 6-channel (5.1) outputs and inputs to accomplish this. You will probably have to go into the main menu of your DVD player and tell it to use the 6-channel output for proper communication between the two units as well as switching the 6070 to DVD/6-channel input source.

In essence, a Digital Versatile Disc (DVD) is a high-capacity digital "bucket" that can be filled with virtually any kind of bits, including audio and video, in any proportion. So far, three configurations have been agreed upon internationally and introduced:

DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, and now DVD-Audio. The industry is also developing recordable DVD, which some believe has the potential to dislodge VHS as the preferred consumer video recording medium.

DVD-Video fills the bucket mostly with bit-hungry video, with a small portion devoted to audio. Although other audio coding technologies, such as PCM, are permitted, Dolby Digital is the audio format most widely used because it enables DVD-Video discs to carry 5.1-channel audio without infringing on picture quality.

DVD-ROM is a high-capacity data storage format, carrying anything from video games to road atlases for automobile navigation systems.

DVD-Audio fills the bit bucket mostly with high-resolution PCM audio, including up to six channels of 96 kHz/24-bit PCM or 192 kHz/24-bit stereo PCM. The audio zone can also carry still graphics, while a separate, optional video zone conforming to DVD-Video specifications can carry full-motion video with either PCM or Dolby Digital audio.

There's just one problem: the audio zone on a DVD-Audio disc can be heard only with a new DVD-Audio player. DVD-Video-only players and DVD-ROM drives won't play it. This is where the video zone will play a key role. This video zone will make it possible for DVD-Audio discs to play in existing DVD-Video players and DVD-ROM drives.

This is just "my" understanding of this theory.

GCB CSII "vs" PLII

I too, enjoy listening to CSII using Active EQ and Speaker EQ settings. It seems to add more definition to movies and music filling them with tight bass effects, and sparkling mids and highs.

Prologic II seems to be more localized with dialog and not as spatial but I would not say it is "worthless" as others have... sounds better than Prologic.

I think it would be up to the listener to decide what "sounds good" considering the vast majority of listeners who do, or do not have a trained ear.

Anyone else? =]

Hello Brian D,

Hook the coaxial cable up to your Polk using the LEFT composite RCA jack, (typically the left side is the "MONO" input for most composite inputs) and the other side to the 6070's "sub pre out".

Using the remote, press the "Top Menu Set Up" button. The first thing you should see is: 6ch AMP, with two flashing letters that say: "SB", "SW", or "OFF". Set this to 'OFF".
You can get a "Y" adapter from Monster and you can use both left and right inputs on your sub.

As far as "LFE" is concerned, I do not think you have to have a "LFE" sub to take advantage of these effects. The 6070 will process this information and send the signal to the sub anyway.

I am using the 6th binding post channel of the 6070 for passive/Hi power output to my Atlantic Technology POWERED sub using the Hi level stereo inputs. For this type of set-up, do the following:

Using the remote, press the "Top Menu Set Up" button. The first thing you should see is: 6ch AMP, with two flashing letters that say: "SB", "SW", or "OFF". Set this to 'SW". Then go into the "Speaker Setup" and select SUBWOOFER REMIX "ON". Save your settings and see how it sounds!

Hope this helps, John / machinist68 =]

ken daniel
I purchased a VR-6070 and want to know , well
let me put it this way ive seen somewhere
that THX uses 7.1 channel speaker set up
how would i do this with VR-6070 , or
what is the best speaker set up for the THX EX
using the VR-6070 , my setup
L,center,R,subwoofer,L-rear,R rear, center back.

John Hackman
Hey John, thanks for the info... Just to rephrase on one topic, when you mentioned that DVD Audio requires a DVD Audio player, yes new high end ones support DVD Audio now but not all of them, same idea with SACD that requires SACD Player. Thanks again.

-John

John B,

When you said you hooked up the powered sub to the sub post to high input. where did you hook it up to , my sub has left and right and center i believe. Does it matter? Also do you have have speakers going from your sub?

What you said worked for the preout. The receiver doesnt show sub connected but it works with the preout setup. Is it because there is nothing connected to the sub posts in the back? Which setup is better do you think? It works good with the preout hookup, nice and rumbly.

Let me know and thanks for the info.

Gregg H.
How do you keep the subwoofer level the same (say +4db) all the time. If you turn the unit off it resets back to 0db gain.

Hello, and welcome Ken Daniel,

This receiver will not let you use all 6 binding posts in conjunction with the 7.1 pre outs provided. By using the rear center channel binding posts (6th channel) The 7.1 pre-outs only produce sound out of the left side. So, you must forego the 6th center back speaker and use a stereo pair of speakers with another receiver/or amplifier for 7.1 listening enjoyment.

Hook up a stereo RCA cable, or 2 digital grade coaxial cables to the "SURROUND BACK PRE-OUTS" on the 6070. Then hook up the other end of the cables to your second receiver/or amplifier using the "AUX" inputs. Wire up your pair of surround back speakers to your second receiver/or amp.

Using the remote, press the "Top Menu Set Up" button. The first thing you should see is: 6ch AMP, with two flashing letters that say: "SB", "SW", or "OFF". Set this to 'OFF".
Press the "TOP MENU SET UP" button again to save this setting.

The next thing you will see is "SP SETUP". Press the "TOP MENU SET UP" button again to enter the speaker setup. The first thing you should see is: "SUBW ON". Scroll through the speaker setup using the joystick until you get to: "SB". Set this to "NML/THX". Pushing the joystick to the right, scroll to the next setting.
It should say: SURR: "MIX OFF' or "MIX ON". Set this to: "MIX OFF". (If you do not see this option, don't worry about it). Press the "TOP MENU SET UP" button again to save these settings. This will put you back at "SP SETUP". Pushing the joystick to the right, scroll to the next setup option. You are now at the "TEST TONE" portion of the setup.

Press the "TOP MENU SET UP" button again and "T.TONE AUTO" will appear. Press the "TOP MENU SET UP" button again to start the test tone, and see if you are getting a test signal through your surround back left and right speakers. Adjust the volume accordingly on your second receiver/or amp to make the test tone sound equal to the tones coming from the other speakers. Once you are satisfied with the levels, press the "TOP MENU SET UP" button again to stop the automatic test tones. Pushing the joystick to the left, scroll to the "EXIT" portion of the setup and press the "TOP MENU SET UP" button again to save your settings and exit the setup.

You should now be running in THX 7.1 for appropriate DVD's stating "THX Surround EX" or "DTS ES" sound modes within the "DVD's AUDIO SETUP" menu.

As far as speaker location and direction, consult your instruction manual on page# 34 and look at DTS ES and THX Surround EX mode for an illustration of speaker placement.

BRIAN D.

I looked up your sub at crutchfield.com and you should hook up the wires to the LEFT channel of your subs Hi power input. I do not think that it matters witch input you use (typically the left side is the "MONO" input for most components).

To answer your question, I do not have any speakers running through my sub because I have told the 6070 to send a "REMIXED" signal (low frequency only) to it. You may feel free to "daisy-chain" your Bose sub to the Polk if you wish.

As far as the sub not showing up on the receiver, you must go through the "SPEAKER SETUP" within the 6070 to get it to show up on the front panel.

The following is a 5.1 setup for a sub using a coaxial cable.

Press the "TOP MENU SET UP" button again to save this setting.

The next thing you will see is "SP SETUP". Press the "TOP MENU SET UP" button again to enter the speaker setup. The first thing you should see is: "SUBW ON". Keep this setting and scroll through the speaker setup using the joystick until you get to: SURR: "MIX OFF' or "MIX ON". Set this to: "MIX OFF". (If you do not see this option, don't worry about it). Scroll through the speaker setup using the joystick until you get to: "SW RE-MIX" ON. Set this to "OFF"

Press the "TOP MENU SET UP" button again to save these settings. This will put you back at "SP SETUP".

Pushing the joystick to the right, scroll to the next setup option. You are now at the "TEST TONE" portion of the setup. Press the "TOP MENU SET UP" button again and "T.TONE AUTO" will appear. Press the "TOP MENU SET UP" button again to start the auto test tone, and see if you are getting a test signal through your sub.

Press the "TOP MENU SET UP" button again to stop the automatic test tones. Pushing the joystick to the left, scroll to the "EXIT" portion of the setup, and press the "TOP MENU SET UP" button again to save your settings and exit the setup.

I believe the "best" setup for a sub would be through the "sub pre-out" for reasons you described earlier: nice and rumbly. =]

Alford Holland
Gregg,
The menu/sound button is a temporary setting only and when you turn the power off all adjustments that have been made using this mode will be lost. Set all speakers using the test tone in the main menu. This will keep them from defaulting back to their original settings when you power down the receiver.
Hope this helps.

Dhar
hi guys... i just recently bought the kenwood vr-6070... and its a great receiver and everything .. but the problem i am having with it is that i keeps shuttin of if i try to turn it up loud... it seems to go into like a "stand by" mode.... i checked for proper speaker connections and checked to see if everything was hooked up right... and there seems to be no problem with that... but it still keeps on shutting off on me when i try to turn it up to like +0 db ... can anybody help me find a solution.. i would greatly apprecialte it

ken daniel
John Briggs: Thank you for your help on the 7.1 THX ex speaker settings very helpful.

Hello Dhar,

It sounds like you have a serious problem with either size and or quality of your speaker wire, (old, used, or damaged/wire shorting out, ect.) or polarity conflicts (+ side of speaker connected to negative side of receiver (accidentally of course).

When your 6070 "shuts off" like that, it is going into "automatic shut down mode" because the circuitry senses that there is a problem and shuts down to protect the unit.

If you are using 16ga. speaker wire, and have Large speakers (80 watt or higher), better get some 14ga. or 12ga. speaker wire. Also, are all of your speakers 8ohm and above? if not, that might have something to do with it. Are you using an excessive amount of speaker wire for your front or rear speakers?

I turned up my receiver to +1db earlier and it was so loud, that I cannot imagine monitoring music or sound levels like that for any sustained amount of time. My 6070 did not skip a beat through this test.

Maybe you can give us a little more information about your system. (what kind of speakers, how many watt, what ohm, size of speaker wire, how your sub is hooked up, ect.

Also, do you have any power source hooked up to the 6070, like plugging your subwoofer power cord into the receiver? If your sub draws more than 150 watts or 1.25 amps, this may be the problem also.

Let us know, John / machinist68 =]

Dhar
Hello John,
Thanks for responding back as soos as you did...well here is some additional information on my system:
Front Center: Pioneer S-DC1-K (Power resistance is 15-100W and Impedance is 8ohms)
Front Left/Right: Pioneer Floor Standing 3-ways (150W Max Power and Impedance is 6ohms)
Rear Left/Right: Bose 141 (information of the back of the speakers stated -- amplifier rated 10-80W per channel reated from 4-8ohms -- max continuous power per I.E.C.: 40W)
Rear Center: Boston Acoustic CR2 (8ohms)
Powered Sub: Boston Acoustic CR400 (i think it is 75W and 8 inch woofer)...

My system is connected with an 18 guage wire.... the length to the front three speaker are about 7 feet each... and the lenght to the rear three speakers (rear right, rear center, rear left) are approximately 30 feet!

Only my dvd player and my cd player are hooked directly into my receiver.. however... everything (the tv, satellite receiver, vrc, and the receiver, powered sub) are all hooked up into the same wall jack...

I hope this information can help you find the cause for the problem... once again thanks.. and i will be egerly waiting for your response... please let me know if u need any additional information or if u have any suggestions for altering my speaker system..

thanks... dhar

Hello again Dhar,

The problem appears to be that you are using 4&6-ohm speakers with an 8 ohm receiver. Those speakers are drawing more current than the 6070 wants to give it, and it would not hurt to increase your speaker wire size from 16 ga. to 14 ga. although this is not the problem.

Suggestions:

Don't play it so loud.
Turn down the bass.
Get a compatible receiver. (4ohm)
Or use the pre outs on the 6070 and hook up one or two more amps to power your front and or back speakers. (one other amp for the front speakers, and one amp for the rears)

This is all I come up with for right now.
Hope this helps, John / machinist68

Anyone else have a suggestion?

GCB
Dhar - Some more idea's on top of what John has said. I don't think from your list that all your speakers are a problem here, but maybe only one set. You run 8ohm centre and 6ohm fronts, I run 6ohm centre and 8ohm fronts. Neither here nor there I wouldn't think, I don't have any problem's. But your Bose surrounds with that vague 4-8ohm spec??? I would disconnect the bose surrounds and crank it and see if the problem is gone. Use a process of elimination by maybe borrowing some 8ohm fronts for a test?? There must be other's on this forum with 6ohm front's?? It shouldn't matter, but I assume your speakers are wired in-phase?
I have an old AKAI amp with a magical sound but it is amazingly sensitive to speakers and will cut out and carry on with different speaker combinations. Even the same brand and model and wattage and impedance, only difference being bookcase to floorstanders and this amp carries on. Maybe just one part of your speaker set bother's it, is my point.

leonard brisebois
Just picked up the new Sound & Vision. It has a review of the 6070. It was pretty positive, with reservations to some ergonomic issues. But the thing that caught my eye was the power rating. With all 6 channels driven, the 6070 put out 92 watts. That is pretty impressive. It also makes me feel good because I have the 6060, which has the same amplifiers as the 6070.

Admin (Admin)
>> Next Page
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us