SVS anyone?

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 391
what are people's experiences with SVS? I want to get the SVS 20-39PCi but would like to hear other people's experiences with their products.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 811
Ask Paul (likes) and ask Art (doesn't like as much).

Paul likes movies exclusively, Art is much more into music.

What's your sub going to be used for?

Silver Member

Post Number: 392
2 channel music. i have a pair of bookshelves that i may want to upgrade to some more substantial floor standers. havent made any purchases yet but since svs is talked about so much and they are internet direct i thought it may be something to look in to. you have any other suggestions for a good sub? the one i have doesnt have a very good extension, only 35 hz. would like something that reaches closer to 20 hz.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 816
I have a Hsu STF-3 which by design choice goes down to 25 Hz (not much content below that). It rocks for HT yet integrates well with music. The STF-2 would be an equally good choice in a small room, but the STF-3 is the same price as the SVS 20-39PCi.

I haven't heard the SVS. Being in Canada, Hsu was an easy choice for me.

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 157
I agree with Peter.

Bronze Member
Username: Reggie_lives

Post Number: 30
I'm building a very small HT set up. Titans as fronts and rears, and a CC-150 as a center. Powered by a Yamaha HTR-5760.

All purchased used, because of a tight budget.

Would going with a STF1 over the STF2 be good idea, or would I definatly notice a difference in the $200 ?

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 159
Well that all depends on how much bass and volume you want and need. If it is only very small and power is not an issue, go for STF-1.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 827
Christopher - The bass with SVS bass units is ok but the unit itself is bigger than life. 2 other problems I found with SVS subs are the 3 huge ports in the rear, and the base plate. If you have a carpeted floor the difference in sound between the carpeted floor and the solid base plate in combination with the 3 huge ports = directionality with the sub. Besides having to stare at the monstrosity one then is drawn to the different character of it's sound. Under the right circumstances they make good subs and their customer service is very good, but there are better. It would help to know your speakers and music preference. I like classical and jazz with some occasional funk and rock. I bought a Era Sub 10 and have not looked back.

Silver Member

Post Number: 393
well i have B&W 601s right now. i was thinking of upgrading to some floorstanders when i have the money. not sure which ones, thats another topic of discussion. i guess i have a similar taste in music as you art. i would like something that can articulate detailed music like classical or jazz, not making a bass sound like a fog horn, but be able to have some thump and punch for other types of music. that probably leads to very expensive subs. *sigh*, im going to be broke again, haha.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 819
Christopher,

I listen mostly to trio jazz (Holy Cole, Diana Krall, Patricia Barber) and the Hsu STF-3 fits my needs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 400
art, which svs did you buy? was it a box one or a tube one?

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 853
The PB12 ISD/V. Regardless of which one you get unless it's their smallest it will suck up many cubic feet of your home. I actually considered trading it back for a tube, but the Era was so damn good that like I said before, I have not looked back. I really do think that the Hsu or Outlaw are better bets as they don't have the negatives that SVS has while still having the positives. I personally am sticking to 10 inch or smaller bass drivers for their musicality. That is why the Vandersteen sub has 3 8 inchers instead of one big driver. Tighter for music.

Silver Member

Post Number: 404
Art, where did you get the Era sub from? ive tried looking for a website to see what their products are like but come up empy handed. so you would recommend hsu over any of svs's subs? any other subs that will compare or surpass the STF-2 at around the same price?

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 859
They are distributed by signalpath (Musical Fidelity, Sona Design, and Era). They make the best satellites I've heard for less than twice the price and the very best sub I've heard. Designed by Michael Kelly of Aerial Acoustics these speakers are giant killers.

http://www.signalpathint.com/

Hsu over SVS.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 862
Oh I'm sorry I did not answer your original question I bought the sub at Bardford's in Eugene, Oregon.

This there products page:

http://www.bradfordshifi.com/products.html

Happy shopping.

Bronze Member
Username: Kinggimp82

Post Number: 23
i recently bought an hsu stf-2 and am very pleased with its quality sound.

i 3rd hsu over svs

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1333
I have no comment, since I'm not familiar with the models mentioned.

If you're looking for a behemoth sub, then SVS is the way to go. Otherwise,.........I wouldnt know. Based on the comments, it looks like they're looking for 'non-behemoth' subs.

Bronze Member
Username: Dan_the_man

London, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 34
Upload

hey this is my 20-39 pc+ next to my axioms m60's
that should give you an idea of how big we are talking

Silver Member

Post Number: 413
thats freakin huge!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1370
That's a sweet sub Dand. My SVS is huge too, but in a different kind of way. It's the PB12-Plus/2.....

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/136710.jpg

Bronze Member

London, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 36
That's awesome looking, i'll bet it really pounds! how much does that thing weigh anyways??

Has anyone heard any of the REL subs, i've read that they are suitable for musicality ect, just wondering.. none of the area dealers in my hometown have any thing like that.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 920
REL subs sound great and have the that rare quality of being equally good for music. 3 best subs for music under $1500 are the Vandersteen 2WQ, REL Strata 3, and Era Sub 10.

Bronze Member

London, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 37
Chris i really like my svs but depending on your music tastes it may not be suitable. Lots of spl but not entirely accurate for classical, jazz ect. I guess the best way to put it is a little muddy for fine listening.

I listen to alot of electronic music and classic rock so obviously my tastes are a little different so it works extremely well for me. Plus it looks very modern in my opinion, which is suited to my decorating tastes as well. I like being a little different lol.

For watching movies, this is where it really shines. The .1 is madness lol. My room is only 12X18 and you can feel the air pressure change on the hairs of your arms when i have the sub dialed in a little hot like 1 o'clock on the gain. I hope this helps.

Bronze Member

London, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 38
thanks art i will have to find someone nearby to have a listen sometime when i am in an audtioning mood.

Silver Member

Post Number: 420
thanks dan. thats is what i was looking for. i think i will go with a hsu sub. thanks for your help guys. ill post something up when i acutally get the thing.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1394
Dan,
It weighs in at 140lbs, and yes, you can really 'feel' it. Watching movies is like a whole new experience with a SVS.

HEH
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us