Highend Home sub...

Anonymous

Don't know if my budget would constitute high end, but I am looking for a sub that will share duty equally between HT and music. The problem is I want something that will REALLY rock for movies, but I hate loose, thumpy bass when listening to music. I like tight punchy bass for music. I listen to a lot of DMB and loose bass doesnt do Carter any justice at all. As far as budget, this is the last piece of the puzzle so the less I can spend the bettet, but I don't want to make ANY sacrifice on sound quality. In the $700 range would be great, but I could go to $1000+/- if it would really make a difference.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 456
SVS PB12-ISD/V, Hsu VTF 3 MK 2, Outlaw LFM-1. All internet direct and all highly regarded.

Anonymous

Do you like these brands copmared to velodyne, paradigm...? Also it seems like there are 2 or 3 posters who really tout these 3 brands of subs, but I don't hear much from anyone else, are they really that good? Finally, Arthur do you think these 3 would be able to give a nice tight bass for music and still do justice for HT? Of the 3, which one is your favorite?

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 458
I currently own a Paradigm PW2100 ($750) but have ordered an SVS PB12-ISD/V ($775 delivered). It is due to arrive next week and I will spend the Memorial day weekend comparing the two. As they are almost the same price it will be comparing apples to apples. The most musical subs that I know of are the REL's, Vandersteen, and Era. I listened to the Era Sub 10 yesterday with Studio 40's at one of my favorite audio stores. It is an incredibly musical sub. Integration was completely seamless. But it is a sealed enclosure and only reaches a flat 30hz. Great for music (which I mostly use my system for) but not much good for home theater. I really want something that does both well and I don't want to spend a fortune. I highly recommend the Paradigm Servo 15 if you can afford it but I can't. Stay tuned for the comparison report which will be posted on this site, under the speaker forum in a thread having something to do with my new sub having arrived.

Username: Jamesslally

Post Number: 4
Arthur,
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the svs. Any thoughts on any of the other models. Do the plus and ultras justify the extra $ and how about a plus 2 vs a single speaker ultra. Thanks in advance. Anyone have any opinions on the HSU vs the svs???

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 460
I really don't know about the differences between the ISD, Plus, and Ultra drivers. I'm guessin' the difference is significant but so is the price. SVS claims that the ISD is better than any other product under $1000 and with the V cabinet I'm hoping I hit the jackpot.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us