Denon AVR3805

Bronze Member
Username: Alphabet

Cape TownSouth Africa

Post Number: 16
I have heard so much about Denon that I decided to audition it during this week. At the showrrom this amp was hooked up with M&K K4 speakers and the salesperson put on the Eric Clapton Crossroads DVD I took along.

The sound was good, but when I looked at the amp, I saw that the volume was all the way up to -6Db and immediately I was not so impressed anymore as it was not THAT loud!

To put this into perspective, I only have a Yamaha RX-V450(Claimed 85W RMS/channel) with a mix of speakers at home and I rarely go higher than -20Db with music DVDs and I feel that at that point I have a lot more volume than what I experienced with the setup in the showroom. Furthermore the showroom was an enclosed room where at home everything is set up in an open plan setup.

I am replacing my speakers shortly and thought what the hell why not replace the amp as well. Thusfar my shortlist consists of Marantz SR550, Yamaha RX-V650 and Cambridge Audio 540R.

It is becoming a difficult decision as I have auditioned all of these and I like all of them, so I suppose it will come down to features, warranty, etc. At least I have scratched Denon off my list.

Cheers and happy listening!

Username: Tmoore

Post Number: 6
Abe I have the 3805 denon ,they didn't have the Dbs set right on it.they probably had all speakers set at 0Dbs or lower it shows in the manual how to calabrate it.3805 has 120watts per channel.More power than most poeple need .please do some more research before purchasing another.Go to someone who knows how to present the denon you will be surprised..

Username: Tmoore

Post Number: 7
Abe I have the 3805 denon ,they didn't have the Dbs set right on it.they probably had all speakers set at 0Dbs or lower it shows in the manual how to calabrate it.3805 has 120watts per channel.More power than most poeple need .please do some more research before purchasing another.ps go to someone who knows how to present the denon you will be surprised..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us