Technics SL-J2 Problem

Username: Pkc

Post Number: 1
I've got a Technics SL-J2 Direct Drive Automatic linear tracking turntable. It powers on, and the digital readout for the track selection lights up and changes when you push the skip/search buttons. But when you push start nothing happens. The turntable doesn't spin and the tonearm doesn't drop. Any ideas on what my problem is? The turntable has set unused for several years now. When it was being used regularly this same thing happened a few times but it would finally start working if you pushed the buttons a few times. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Markoone
Unregistered guest
I have the same problem. See if the problem is temporarily resolved by gently pushing the pickup arm to the right while the lid is in the fully up position. Once you do this, go ahead and close the lid and start the player as normal. Then send the unit in for cleaning and lubrication (that is if you don't want to simply buy a new unit, which may be a cheaper path than repair).

Username: Montejorozo

Bogota, D.C. Colombia

Post Number: 1
PLS help me.

Need to change needle and/or cartridge but don't know how.

Anonymous

almost for sure you must change the little belt that
drives the cartridge movement.
probably you need also to clean the grease that
lubricates the guideing rail of the cartridge arm.
if you have good hands you can do it yourself.
if you give me some time I can write a guide with pictures (i must do the job anyway)
adddiaz@netscape.net

Anonymous

almost for sure you must change the little belt that
drives the cartridge movement.
probably you need also to clean the grease that
lubricates the guideing rail of the cartridge arm.
if you have good hands you can do it yourself.
if you give me some time I can write a guide with pictures (i must do the job anyway)
adddiaz@netscape.net

Junk Store Jenius
Unregistered guest
I just picked one up at a thrift store for a paltry $5 and the biggest expense will be in replacing the stylus. The factory grease on the tone arm rail and base sliders had turned into a sticky goo, the pop-up 45 rpm adapter has a broken tab. Aside from that it works OK. Remove the spring under the adapter and it will sit flush with the platter. Borrow the adapter from your other turntable if you need to play a 45.

The cartridge is a standard P-Mount and it tracks around 1.25 gram. Remove the small Philips head screw at the base of the cartridge and pull the assembly straight out. As for the sticky grease, a cotton pad dampened with mineral spirits cleaned it up nicely. WD-40 should work as well. I oiled the rail, sliders and motor spindle with 5W30 Valvoline Syntec and it loosened up nicely. Don't be afraid of using a lightweight synthetic automotive oil as it's light enough to penetrate and doesn't dry out as quickly as a conventional oil would. Another good choice is a synthetic transmission oil like Dexron III ATF. No kidding, it's good stuff for this application.

The original stylus was a .4 x .7 eliptical and any P-Mount cartridge that tracks at 1.25 grams should work. I replaced the drive belt on the tone arm positioner with a neoprene o-ring and it's working OK. Pick an o-ring of the same thickness as a fatter one will tend to jump off the pulley.

My total clean-up time was about 45 minutes and it tracks a junk record with the broken stylus so my next move will be to replace the cartridge. I'm not expecting super fidelity from this one, but it is a nifty little turntable and the auto track indexing works remarkably well.

Unregistered guest
I am looking for a ground wire for my Technics SL J2 turntable. It has a triangular male end that inserts into the back of the turntable. Anyone know where I can find one?

- TC

Unregistered guest
i just got sl j2. when it is playing, the part of the at122lp cartridge (the dimple at the bottom) is touching the record. is this normal? if not then how do we adjust the tracking force? or how do we get the cartridge not touching the record when playing? i can see sets of screws in the tone arm but dont know the purpose. i tried to turn them bothways to experiment but it is hard and dont move. (later decided not to experiment , i might damage the system).
string cable is also with sticky grease (blackish). is it ok for this string to have grease or oil?
plastic gear is filled with the same greasy oil as well. is it ok?
i am not sure if this greasing(or oil) is from the original.
can we get oil intended for turntable parts specially plastics? i am afraid some type of grease/oil is harmful to plastic parts. i dont know what the manual says about the specific of oil to be used since i have no manual. anyway beside the question just want to emphasise that turntable music is really different, it sound very nice you hear closer to reality (actual).
for the time being i have stop playing the table. i might be damaging ny records as well as the sound machine assembly.
thanks, danny

Unregistered guest
hi everyone, i am beginning to learn tweaking these sophisticated machine. cleaning and lubricating starting with my mcs 6725 followed by the hitachi l303...next in line is the slj2. all linear tracking. these animal really works great. it is wonderful to know that the only true sound tracker(turntable) is being revived. with lots of attention from music lovers nowadays, it is going to be far from neglect as what most people did in the early 80,s...anyway to tell you folks this machine is the only organic sound transporter and the only counterpart of this beast is the casette tape. analog to analog or lp to casette (the good quality casette). it is super. you can hear every vibration. the separation of different instruments and voices is clear and cool. i dont get tired listening but for sure i get to sleep first before the whole music is finished whether it is ray coniff, hawaii song, men at work, letter men, george benson..or "spectrum" of billy cobham..this is a wonderful piece (spectrum). don't listen to the cd's of spectrum..it is garbage. anyway, i had a casette tape (the better quality-darker color tape) of spectrum back in the early 80's. it sound so good. i was using pioneer original japan components. speaker is of cs series. four way.
let me get back to the previous: in my choice of lubricants, i have no choice but to experiment.
i used and combined different oils like sawing machine oil, silicone oil in spray can and white lithium base grease in spray can too from walmart. later i discover another type of oil in a precission oil dispenser from nextel from radio shack now circut city (please edit trade and company name if not allowed). these oils is so light except the "nextel". now i have to try the 5w30 or synthetic transmission oil dextron iii syntec that i learned from mr. junk genius.

by the way, i want to tenk yu junk genius for giving me idea about replacing drive belt with an o-ring.
i replaced that small belt (one inch dia.) of my mcs 6725 linear tracking turntable with black 0-ring (i am assuming it is made of rubber) and it works just perfectly. what is the color of neoprene o-ring? which one is better and where to get?
before i forgot by the way, i have fixed the problem with my cartridge touching the record while playing. i found out that the stylus assembly is in bad shape. i straighten it and tighten the screw (smallest screw i have everseen). it is now in pretty good shape.
can some body show me how to lube slj2 step by step? and how do we oil the spindle?
is the motor a sealed type or we need to change oil it?
mr. adddiaz@netscape.net(junkgenius) i see that you are offering help here. can you please include my name in your list of extended help?
thanks folks, danny(a neophite junkgenius)

Unregistered guest
hi, i have the same problem with my two linear tracker. the names are mcs 6725 and the other one is slj2(both made by technics). after i have cleaned and lubed them, during play the arm would drop like the bomb in hiroshima and see it bouncing none stop. what is hapening here men, i am lost. are you thinking of fluid damper(silicon) might be the solution? that was removed when i cleaned it?...i have no i idea what type of damper we have here. i hope it is not mechanical type. anyway share to me your idea. i might still salvage this players. thanks, dan
by the way my third linear tracker(hitachi l303) though he is also sick, still do a lot of spinning provided i have to press the cue up before it reach the end, otherwise it will stay riding and jumping the same groove forever until it vanished. i have lots of vynils waiting for these machines so please give your best shot you guys who has something to share. thenks, same

Unregistered guest
Hey, I am having a problem with my MCS 6725. It is turning just fine, but It is not transmitting sound fully. When I have it hooked up to the reciever, I have to jack up the volume all the way, and I can still barely hear the record. I was wondering what I can do or what pieces I need to service or repair, i.e. cartridge or needle???? any Ideas would be appreciated.

Unregistered guest
check: receiver(should have phono input), hook-up cables, speakers..if twisted or misalined stylus, time to get replacement..

daniel badon
Unregistered guest
(sl-j2 and mcs 6725) tone arm that drops on the groove..i have decided to purchase silicone damper #3000 and will try to fixed it. hopefully it is the damper that i washed away when i clean and relube the unit. i purchased the damper on line. it will come anytime...

Anonymous

Hi, I have a Technics SL-J2 bought on EBay! before I trash it does anyone know why it's skipping across the vinyl and refuses to play 45's.
thanks

daniel badon
Unregistered guest
hi anonymous, if you are born to fixed turntable, clean and relube it...extra careful when removing and putting back cover. the hinge fittings is so breakable specialy at slight wrong move. i damaged mine and it would be next to impossible to find replacement.
my slj2 tracks very well and would produce sweet sound with at122lp cartridge....my biggest frustration is the arm would drop so hard that it would bounce many times!!...my only chance to play it is without the cover so i can guide to arm when it drops....earlier before i clean and relube it i did not notice sudden drop of the arm on the groove..i was thinking i might have washed some kind of damper..so i purchased a silicone 3000 damper...to my frustration i could not find a place where to put this damper..though i experimented putting it to some logical area but nothing happens...actually my slj2 and mcs6725 (both made by technics) has the same problem..the mechanism of the two turntable is similar or almost the same..the pivot of the mechanism where the arm is being guided smoothly is very remote. i was thinking this is where to apply the damper but to acces it is to dismantle the whole assembly. if this is true, i can not imagine why the designer would do this.
in comparisson...my third sound transporter which is hitachi l303 has the same problem. it is noticeably that the arm would drop heavily on the groove than normal as i would think of but not as heavy than the two turntables...this time i was more than happy as i was able to fixed it easily. there is a compartment where the damper is to be applied. i must have washed some of it when i cleaned it...anyway let us go back to yours..replace the small drive belt with o-ring. this can be purchased in any autopart store. the diameter of this o-ring is about 1". i replace mine with same and it works wonderful..i found this idea from "junkgenious"...clean the pulleys with cotton swab dab in alcohol..apply phonolube to the plastic gears and you can use synthetic motor oil for slider and guide rail. i combined phonolube and motor oil for the slider and guide rail. i purchased phonolube online from "turntablebasics.com"
check one of the author in this forum "junkstoregenious" how he fixed same this same breed of music wrecker...by the way useally the problem is in the record when it skips..
have fun and good luck. other option: send it to "turntablefactory.com" but i am afraid it will be more costly than buying a conditioned one.
by the way i got these three sound transporter from ebay.
dan

Anonymous

Hey Im trying to hook a sl j2 up to my new stereo system but it doesn have a ground imput it plays but there is lots of feed back and fuzzyness any sudgestions?

Anonymous

Hey Im trying to hook a sl j2 up to my new stereo system but it doesn have a ground imput it plays but there is lots of feed back and fuzzyness any sudgestions?

Bronze Member
Username: Daniel_badon

Bc Canada

Post Number: 11
try hook it up to your house receptacle. the screw for the cover plate of your house receptacle is grounded. remove the cover plate and connect extension wire to the screw then connect the other end to your table ground receptacle. though i havent tried it. i took this brilliant idea from other.

Bronze Member
Username: Daniel_badon

Bc Canada

Post Number: 12
mr. junk genious, i want to oil the motor spindle but i could not remove the platter. obviously i have to remove it to access the spindle. can you help me here?
tenx, dan
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us