Just what is a mono block amplifier?

jlindsey86
Unregistered guest
What makes a mono block amp different from a stereo amp, and how would you use one in a set up? thanks

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

A stereo amp consists of two mono amplifiers on one chasis. A monoblock just separates the two channels into separate (mono) systems. The advantage is less cross talk between channels. The disadvantage is cost.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 252
The other advantages are that the typical monoblock that is a mono version of the same stereo amp has a much more highly rated power supply. This doesn't necessarily give much greater power but usually it invests monoblock versions with a great deal more grunt. The power supply is the most important part of the power amp - it's what serves the juice to be able to drive the speakers, so when your reservoir is twice as big, you can effectively go a lot longer at the same level, or supply bigger bursts of power.

The only disadvantage I can think of apart from cost is the earthing arrangement. A stereo power amp has both channels tied to the same earth point. Monoblocks don't have this since they're separate. A difference in earth potential can make the amps sound slightly difference and can even introducec mains-borne noise. Therefore, it's usually recommended that the monoblocks are plugged in as close to each other as possible. If using a 4-way block, then they should be plugged in next to each other for example.

Regards,
Frank.

jlindsey86
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the information, I'm just trying to understand audio equipment better. Thanks to this board maybe I will.

Unregistered guest
hi. just an addition to the whole monoblock thing. i'm unsure of the relative benefits of monoblocking and bi-amping (hf/lf). i wondered if anyone could help me to decide which way i should split my signal for better playback. should it be by right and left channels or by hi and lo frequency. cheers, matt

Bronze Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 19
Matt, it really does depend on your speaker config. If you have bi pole speakers, you can run hi/lo config, but you should keep in mind the response times of the combination. I tried several combos, and found I couldnt match the speeds of the amps(adcom high, h/k low). I did however have good luck with l/r combo from outlaw(loaner). If your pre/pro is in tune, I found best luck and rewards, with mono blocks(close together/un bonded) happy times.
Let us know

Cheers

jasonp
Unregistered guest
help please , i have rf 300s and i want to run 1 dvc mtx 1o inch .How can i drop it dow to 1 ohm stable

jasonp
Unregistered guest
help please , i have rf 300s amp and i want to run 1 dvc mtx 1o inch sub .How can i drop it dow to 1 ohm stable

jaysonsophan
Unregistered guest
help plse,i have a 300s amp, 1,10 inch dvc sub and i want to drop it down to 1 ohm or can't it

Unregistered guest
How would i wire a 2 channel mono block amp to 2 alpine type r dual voice coil subs? If you could e-mail me with a simple paint drawing or just try to explain it to me here. Thanks!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us