Receiver for NHT SB-3

Monty
Unregistered guest
I am looking for a receiver to match my pair of NHT SB-3's. I have heard good things about pairing the SB-3's with a NAD T742 but was looking for a few more suggestions. I would like to keep my budget as close to $500 as possible.

I only need 5.1 which is why I am seriously looking at the T742. My only concern is that is does not have NAD's PowerDrive technology. How important is this feature and should I consider the T752 because it has it? Also, will the 742 drive 2 SB-3's, 2 SB-2's, and the SC-2 adequately? Thanks for any replies.

Username: Hawk

Post Number: 132
Monty:

You may wish to look into the new NAD T 743, which does have the PowerDrive circuitry. I think you can get one at Kiefs (www.kiefs.com) for about $560.

As for the power of the 742, it will definitely drive the speaker system you set out without any difficulty.

NAD and NHT is a super match, sound-wise, as well.

Monty
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your reply, Hawk. I would be willing to spend the extra money for the 743 but according to NAD's website, it does not have the PowerDrive circuitry. How important is this feature and is it worth upgrading to the 752/753 because of it? Thanks again.

Post Number: 136
Monty:

I was quite surprised by your post, but I think you may be right. I knew the 743 was specified to handle 4 ohm speakers (unlike the 742 which was specified at 8 ohms only), thus I assumed it had the PowerDrive, but in looking at the product information, they do not use that term, so I conclude it isn't incorporated into the 743 like I thought.

However, it may well be that PowerDrive is not needed for such a modestly powered receiver. As I understand it, PowerDrive is essentially a IC power controller and a second power rail. The controller senses when the program material requires a significant burst of power and sends more power down the second rail. If my hypothesis is right, the second rail is unnecessary for 50 wpc, so Powerdrive circuitry is simply not incorporated into the unit. So to answer your question, it isn't important at all for that amount of power.

I think the more important issue is what size room do you have? That will give me a better idea as to how much power you need with the SB-3s (which, as acoustic suspension speakers, do require more power than the more normal vented designs). The NHT website does not publish a speaker sensitivity number, but I have a pretty good idea as I have been strongly considering these speakers for awhile and have played around with them quite a bit.

Cheers!

Monty
Unregistered guest
Hawk,

Thank you for the great explanation of PowerDrive. I always enjoy reading your posts and find them very informative and entertaining. My room is 15x13 feet.

Post Number: 142
I first listened to a 742 in a room just about that size and it had no problems filling it. I think you can safely get any of the NADs with those speakers and not be concerned. I do like the newer 743, though, as it has a much better remote--the same one supplied with the 75x and 76x receivers (the HTR-2). The remote for the 742 is unique to that model and is not as easy to use. John A. just ponied up for an HTR-2 for his 760 and has been very happy with it. But, remotes are really personal preference, so check them out to see what you think about it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us