Hey everyone,
I have a set of yamaha speakers. They have
a bright sound and I want to get a reciever
that will mellow them out. I have about $600
to spend. What are your suggestions?

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 864
Marantz SR5500 would be the best choice. It's smooth, warm, full and powerfull with good set of features.
New H/K models have an annoyingly bright upper treble.

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 357
I would agree with the Marantz, but add that the H/K 330 does not appear bright to me. I would say that H/K and Yamaha would be a nice combo. I would add Kenwood Sovereign, Pioneer Elite, and NAD to that list

Username: Cbarstow

Boston

Post Number: 2
great thanks for the info. I was thinking either Marantz or H/K. One other question. What sub would you suggest to go along with the yamaha speakers?

Silver Member

Post Number: 369
Well the sub would not be relative to a certain brand of speakers, subs are able to mesh much more easily with multiple systems. I don't know how much you are willing to spend but I would suggest the following companies: HSU, SVS, REL, Earthquake, Velodyne, Definitive Technolgy and a few others but for the most part those are great sub manufacturers

Silver Member

Post Number: 370
Barstow...I see you are in Boston, is it Boston proper or on the outskirts? I am actually moving on Monday to the cape :-)

Boston

Post Number: 3
Comm Ave, Brighton

where on the cape?

Boston

Post Number: 4
One other question, is there a huge difference between getting a H/K 330 or a Yamaha 650?

Silver Member

Post Number: 378
Barstow...My wife's family has property in South Dennis and Hopedale. We are actually going to live in the house in S. Dennis for the time being while we build a house, probably in the area of Plymouth down to Taunton, we want to be around half the distance to Boston from the cape. It's a beautiful area I just hope I can get used to the cold weather again, I am originally from England so I have experienced this but only as a child. I have been in Nashville, Dallas, and Atlanta for the past 24 years so I am accustomed to a warmer climate. Oh well, at least I can ski in the winter :-)

To be honest I don't have much experience with Yamaha speakers and you don't mention a model number, but if their speakers tend to be bright like their receivers I would say this would not be a good combo. But as I said I don't have any idea how Yamaha speakers sound so take it with a grain of salt. I would assume, however, that they are in fact a brighter speaker and therefore the H/K would be a better fit.

Silver Member

Post Number: 379
You might try NAD as well. Here's a store in the Boston area
http://www.spearitsound.com/

Silver Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 170
Landroval,

Which HK models have the annoyingly bright upper treble. Are you talking about the new Avr.35 series or the avr.30's.

I wouldn't characterize the sound of the AVR330 as exceptionally bright (of course speakers would make a difference). Just curious about what you think.

Boston

Post Number: 5
Sorry I forgot to mention the speakers. They are: Yamaha NS 7390, NS 6390, NS C3290.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 870
Bleustar,

I'm talking about the AVR130 and AVR230. The AVR430 is slightly different, warmer and more controlled. I felt the AVR130 trebles were slightly bright and the sound balance was more cold than warm, even if the bass departement was ok.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us