Amp to Factory HU

Username: Ukw10

Post Number: 20
I'm putting Small amp and small subwoofer to my Factory Head Unit.I got power cord hooked up but don't know where to hook my turn on wire. Showed I buy a switch with relay to hook up turn on wire or does it goes to back of my factory head unit??

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 275
no relay needed.
the remote trigger is a low current +12VDC signal line.
just wire it into any ignition line that has +12 when the keys are in the ignition and turned to accessory.

Username: Motoman22

Post Number: 11
If your head unit has a power antenna lead (usually blue) then use it. Don't just pick a blue wire though, make sure it has +12v when the radio is on and is dead the rest of the time.

If you do not have this lead, I strongly suggest a switched lead. If you connect to an ignition wire then the amp is going to be on whenever the key is...even if you aren't listening to the radio. You 'might' not care but it's a generally bad idea to power an amp when not in use.

There are even some aftermarket components that can sense when a signal is on a speaker line and turn an amp on. They aren't the most reliable things in the world but they keep you from having to mount a switch...

Post Number: 296
the problem with using the power antenna lead, is that with most factory radios, it only has +12 for radio, and not for tape/CD, so you'd lose the amp when listening to anything but the radio.
I was trying to avoid that pitfall for him.

Username: Motoman22

Haven't run into that situation yet glass...interesting.

Post Number: 318
correction: maybe not in "most" factory systems.. most car's don't have power antennas.. but it does happen with some, so it's something to keep in mind anyway.
easy enough to check with a meter though which only takes a moment to be sure.
generally I agree that I dislike using ignition for remote trigger, namely because that always seems to introduce noise into the system.. but then using high level inputs and a factory system, you're not going to get the best results anyway.

Anonymous

I have a question, glasswolf. Will an amp go into clipping if its kept at a low, very resonable volume and the headlights are flickering slightly? Ive noticed sometimes my headlights will flicker even with the stereo off, and sometimes it doesnt flicker at all with the stereo on. Ive noticed no difference in sound whether the lights are flickering or not.

Post Number: 320
use a meter. heck the voltage when this is happening.
see if it's dropping below 13.5V above idle, or 12V at idle.
if the voltage rails are fine, and the amplifier gains are set properly, the amp shouldn't clip.

Username: Ukw10

Post Number: 25
Like Michael Bates said, I don't want to amp to be on all the time when my keys are in. And also I don't have power antenna lead. I want to know how to put it to switched lead.

Post Number: 326
run the remote trigger to an ignition line that gives +12 when the keys are in the car.
put an on/off switch on that line.
problem solved.

with a class AB or D amplifier, itt won't be producing any noticeable power if the amp is on and there's no signal going to it from the radio anyway though, so despite Mike's commentary, it wouldn't make much difference either way.
the switch is just one more thing to mess with.
whichever way you choose, good luck.

CarAudioNewb
Unregistered guest
I can't not locate ignition line. Where are they usally located at??

Post Number: 756
go to the fusebox, and tap into one of the fuse lines that are only on when the keys are in the ignition.. like the radio fuse
they make little metal tap adapters for plugging right into where the fuse goes by folding a metal tab over the blade fuse. works great for stuff like this where the current draw is minimal.

CarAudioNewb
Unregistered guest
I striped 12volt wire for my neon light and put remote turn-on wire so I can plug in my cigarette lighter when i need to turn on my amp. Is this going to be ok? It works too. But thing is I put turn on wire and neon light wire to one Cigarette lighter so do I need relay?

Post Number: 769
that'll be fine the way it is.
not sure I'd do it that way but it'll work.

Anonymous

how do i hook up my amp and subwoofer to a factory head unit

Bronze Member
Username: Gecko

Either get an amp with speaker level inputs on it and run speaker wires from a pair of speakers to the amp. Usually rear speakers since the amp will be near the trunk, its really easy to do.

Or... if you're planning on getting a better HU eventually... get a speaker level to line level converter and put it behind the factory radio (wired to the speaker leads) that way you can easily find a switched 12v wire to wire your amp turn on to and then run that and RCA's back to your amp. When you buy a new deck its all right there to plug in for you or the installer.

Hope that helped,
-Pete

Username: Black70d

Trenton, Nj

Post Number: 1
can i add a amp to a bose stereo

hondaman99
Unregistered guest
Check out this website....they make an adapter to plug into bose/infinity factory radios that have rca outputs along with the remote wire. I used this to keep my factory radio and amp (for the front speakers) and add a another amp for the sub. hope this helps.

hondaman99
Unregistered guest
http://www.go2pac.com/products/oem1.htm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us